Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Trouble with turn signal, brake lights and side view camera

This is for my Forester MBS W. There is a lit 'light bulb' symbol on dashboard indicating trouble. When I checked, I noticed the turn signals (both right and left) blinking faster on the frond, but stopped working on the tail. The tail lights remain off when headlights are turned on or brake is stepped on. The side-view camera which normally turns on when turn signal is on stopped working also. However, the rear-view of the camera works when the shift is in reverse.
I searched the forum and internet for similar issues but haven't found any. Has anyone had this problem before?
Old 12-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Jeff,

It sounds like the Curt Interface unit for the rear lights is either disconnected, wet or bad. It is the only common point that would cause the loss of all turn, brake, and running lights. I'd start by looking at the wiring connectors to the unit to see if a connector is loose. Other folks have reported problems, though not as severe, when the unit gets wet causing one side to fail. So check and see if it damp. That is where I'd start looking....
Old 12-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Jeff,

It sounds like the Curt Interface unit for the rear lights is either disconnected, wet or bad. It is the only common point that would cause the loss of all turn, brake, and running lights. I'd start by looking at the wiring connectors to the unit to see if a connector is loose. Other folks have reported problems, though not as severe, when the unit gets wet causing one side to fail. So check and see if it damp. That is where I'd start looking....
Is curt interface only for the brake lights? The side-view camera is not working for turns (but works for reverse), does this mean the problem may be upstream of the wiring to the brake lights? I first thought it may be a blown-fuse but don't believe the same fuse controls both lights and camera.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post
Is curt interface only for the brake lights?
No, the unit does a lot more than the brake lights. The Curt unit ties in the Turn, Brake and Tail lights to the M-B wiring interface.
The side-view camera is not working for turns (but works for reverse), does this mean the problem may be upstream of the wiring to the brake lights?
The camera is probably fine. I suspect the camera control module is not seeing a "On" signal from the turn signals so it isn't working except in reverse. FR would have tied the camera in to their portion of the wiring going to the rear of the coach.
I first thought it may be a blown-fuse but don't believe the same fuse controls both lights and camera.
I agree you would have to have several bad fuses. It comes back to the Curt unit as the most likely culprit...
See responses above...
Old 12-20-2015, 09:09 PM   #5
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Ok I must admit I've never heard of curt interface before (I'm a biochemist by training). Where do I look for it? I will take it to a Mercedes dealer or RV dealer for warranty repair if this is not straightforward for me.
Thanks very much Wayne!
Old 12-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
Site Team

Under the rear of the coach, near the bumper, FR put in a piece of sheet metal and attached the box to it. It should be fairly conspicuous as it will have the wires running it to it and then off to the rear light assemblies and 7 pin trailer wiring connector. It may be buried in the undercoating "stuff"...

Unless there is just a loose connector this is a warranty item for your Forest River dealer.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:02 AM   #7
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Ok that sounds easy enough. I'll go back to my W in storage in the next few days and update you with what I find.
Thanks again!
Old 12-21-2015, 07:23 AM   #8
Site Team

For more info on the Curt controller, and a picture of it, see this thread.

Getting under our "W" and securing ours in a water proof box is on my "Mod" list...
Old 12-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #9
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Got underneath my W and located the Curt controller. Didn't see any loose wire. Have to take it to my dealer.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #10
Site Team

The good news is if it is the Curt controller, which I'm betting on, it should be a fairly quick fix. And the controller is readily available from Curt and other sources. Please update us when you get it back from the shop. If it isn't the controller I'd like to know what other "gotcha's" are lurking in the wiring!
Old 12-26-2015, 10:43 PM   #11
2012 Solera

By the way, on our 2012 Solera MBS, the lit bulb on the dashboard simply means the lights are "on". As Mercedes uses the headlights as daytime running lights, the headlights - and the dash indicator - come on when the engine is started (even with the light switch "off").
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
Site Team

The good news is M-B has added dedicated DRLs and quit using the headlights bulb on low voltage. I don't know what year the change over happened but our 2015 chassis is configured with separate DRLs in the grill. I hate it when the headlights are used as DRLs as the reduced voltage quickly destroys SilverStars Ultras and other upgraded headlight bulbs...
Old 12-28-2015, 12:52 AM   #13
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Just sent a note to my dealer and warranty administrator at FR requesting service. There are four items on the list: failed tail lights, side view camera issues, plastic liner peeling off front end, and, just found out this morning - fresh water tank was filled to overflow from empty when only connected to city water (valve issue?)!
Also the electric step stopped working and was replaced a few weeks ago.
All and all, there have been more than ten problems that need warranty service in the eight months' ownership of brand new W. I'm disappointed and frustrated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loose liner.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	96875  
Old 12-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
All and all, there have been more than ten problems that need warranty service in the eight months' ownership of brand new W. I'm disappointed and frustrated
I've got you beat by a couple items... And our "W" has sat at the M-B dealer twice, for about a month total, with DEF system issues.

But everything I've asked for has been done, in a timely manner, without any drama from my dealer or FR. After the list of current items below is addressed we should be good to go. Some of these are minor items but since I'm in the shop for the big items (1, 2, 3) they can take care of them as well....

Warranty Items on 2016 2400WMBS
Slide Out Issues

1. The slide-out will not deploy, or retract, without assistance. The motors move it about 6-8 inches then it stops. Lightly pushing on the slide out will allow it to fully deploy or retract.

2. The slide out seals are being damaged by the slide out tracks.

Stabilizer System

3. The rear stabilizers are not working properly. The driver’s side stabilizer will not deploy.

Waste Water System

4. The wastewater tanks valve handles are reversed. Currently the grey handle dumps the black tank; the black handle dumps the grey tank.

5. The Grey tank handle will not fully retract. It sticks out about an inch when the valve is closed.

Roof Items

6. The Fan-tastic Fan vent cover bug screen, on the roof cover assembly not in the coach, is loose in the rear fan assembly. (I had the dealership add these last visit.)

7. The radio antenna is flat on the roof and needs to be stood up. (Since you are on the roof anyway...)

Storage Areas

8. The seals are coming loose on some of the storage doors.

Interior Issue

9. The stove towel bar is loose and will not re-tighten.

10. The rear window shade will not stay down.

I've had more warranty issues on the "W" then on previous FR TT products but I'm still overall happy with it... And I'm very happy with our dealership, Three Way Campers, who has been very responsive and proactive in getting the issues resolved.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #15

Fresh water tank is easy. Turn off city water and fun the water pump. turn off pump and turn city water back on. Sometimes the check valve sticks at the pump and will fill FW tank. Might have to do a couple times but usually fixes.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #16
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
I've got you beat by a couple items... And our "W" has sat at the M-B dealer twice, for about a month total, with DEF system issues.

[/SIZE]
Beating me on repair list is not good news

I've been thinking about a separate thread for owners of W to archive all the issues and repair solutions like the one you did here. I know many items are not specific to W but, since W is so new, a collection of issues are not only helpful to us owners but hopefully to FR as well.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:19 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Beating me on repair list is not good news
Tell me about it...
Old 01-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #18
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Got my W back from dealer. Like Wayne predicted, it is the Curt controller, and more specifically, a bad 'harness cable'. Replaced under warranty, now all lights are on, and the camera is working also. Clearly the camera problem was linked to the brake light failure, but the dealer charged me $70 for diagnosis of camera. Now I must get it back because it is not an separate issue.
The loose vinyl trim was also replaced under warranty. Apparently the dealer has done this routinely.
The city water leak into fresh water tank is due to the 'failed pump', now waiting for approval from FR for replacement of the entire pump. I'll test it on my next trip to see if the pump really failed or it's just the jammed valve.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:18 PM   #19

I replaced my Curt controller faster than the dealer sent me a replacement (so I now have a spare). Nevertheless the instructions included with the Curt controller specifically stated that the unit should be installed in a protected area similar to a vehicle interior. Forest River's installation location near the rear bumper and fully exposed to the elements fails to adhere to this installation instruction (IMHO). In my case the MSD 8180 6-Pin Deustch Connector did not have the red rubber gasket and therefore my hypothesis is that this may have been the source of my problem. When I installed my replacement Curt Controller I used some electrical grease to help block water from infiltrating both the 6-Pin and 4-Pin connectors. FWIW

Tags
light, brakes