Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #21

a few pictures of our shakedown cruise..
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lbums1909.html
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:15 AM   #22

Shakedown cruise

Thanks for the pics! We are leaving next Monday for a trip to southern Florida. I appreciate the pic of the hold downs attached to the awning. I will dig mine out of the shed and put them into the basement storage.
captdanerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:45 PM   #23

Thanks for such great info, Loefflerh! I remember you commenting when I first posted when we purchased our Forester 2401W earlier this year and you were so encouraging about that model - congrats on getting your own! We love this floor plan, too! Plenty of room as well as storage for the two of us and our 70-lb black lab Kody ... although he is not quite convinced yet about how wonderful it is, he will surely come around!

We are still slowly but surely taking our rig out on short trips, and working out kinks. I still work full-time for another few years so short trips for now. We have so far not tested every last thing, but most things working great as compared to some of the scary stories on the forum. Definitely had issues with slide from get-go - froze in the out position once (diagnosis: loose ground wire after mobile service call and trip back to CW for service) ... then developed increasingly louder groaning noise each trip we extended then retracted it (back to service for diagnosis: loose bolts in slide required tightening) but hoping all has been worked out now after last trip for service. Definitely learned our lesson about not exiting from the cab doors during rainstorms after taking it home for the first time in the Memorial Day flooding rainstorms in Texas ... yikes! Agree - exit through the coach instead of cab when it rains or you'll get a drenching from the rain spouts over the cab doors!

Now discovering so many thoughtful great things about this model that definitely show attention by the FR designers and don't get mentioned much here because they work so well. Thanks to all of you for your continued advice and experience ... hope to meet you all somewhere on the road as we venture out more!

Kelly & Mary Beth
2017 Forester MBS 2401W
Old 11-10-2016, 10:49 AM   #24

Just saw the newest Forester at the dealer: they come now with the lippert solar power awning with integrated speakers - what a nice feature, I am jealous
Other things a noticed: no more "soft ceiling"but looks as nice as before, and a new sewer system I would like to have too....
The got rid of the backup monitor - not good...
Not sure about that rv tablet thing instead of switches, but I guess that is the future: I would go for it.
The so called stabilizer: some people really want them, I do not , no need for them just weight.
Well, I am 100% satisfied with my coach and getting almost done with all the shake down cruise discrepancies - biggest one was the backup camera, dealer installed a new one yesterday. Nice to see that FR is constantly improving the coach...
Entegra 27A Oct 2021 - ?
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #25

LoefflerH, can you send pic of how you configure those ottomans with your dinette? Trying to understand the benefit, and thinking I'm not understanding where you place them for comfortable sitting. Thanks!

Kelly & Mary Beth
2017 Forester MBS 2401WS
Old 11-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #26

Regarding the ottomans, we got a pair, and they are great! DW got all sorts of pillows at the outset of this adventure, and with the ottoman you can make a nice "nest" with footrest in the U Lounge. When underway, a pair fit perfectly in the back of the "U", and provide great clutter removal storage. Thanks for the great tip!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #27

Storage ottoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
First – I am delighted about that floor plan! I loved my 2013 Solera 24R, nothing wrong with it: but she saw the new floor plan and loved it so we traded and I do not regret it at all. It is so roomy and open it is incredibly and still has the same advantages my Solera had: a small MH you can park about anywhere, a quiet powerful engine and a very smooth ride, plenty of legroom (I hate the doghouse in those gassers) and a big very comfortable bed.
Besides the floor plan changes compared to the 2013 model I really like: Daylight running mode changed to just 2 small lights lit, there is (actually it’s a 2 way switch) a light switch for the ceiling lights next to the steps at the entry, couple more options on the speedometer readout, plenty of Usb ports and more 110V outlets, outside lights are Led now too, bed is the same size but has a very comfortable foam topper built in and the front cab has a new more appealing shape which is much easier to clean.
The u-shaped dinette is a bit more comfortable than the booth dinette – in addition I bought 2 ottoman from Amazon for 25$ each – not only do the add storage they extend the dinette for footrest. (Highly recommend those!). And it makes a bed where somebody of my size (6 ft+) can sleep too…
The bathroom is great too…the (I guess now standard) bowed shower curtain gives a lot more room to move around. The 2nd table between the front seats is useless for us, restricts movement around the coach and we leave it at home.
Storage: we were kind of worried not having enough, but it turned out we have. Would be nice if FR would have added some little cabinets right and left over the dinette and or above the bed – will do that later myself. Outside storage is a lot less than in the 24R but more useful due to many small compartments and more than enough for us.
We just came home from a 5000 mile / 7 week shakedown cruise and do not regret the decision to switch motor homes. Of course the list of warranty items which have to be fixed is pretty long, but nothing prevented the use of the coach. Construction quality, especially quality control, is –as expected – not the best but not worse than any other coach. We hope to get everything resolved soon but now we have to deal with wait time to get warranty work approved thru FR and then it will take the dealer at least 2 weeks to get parts needed!!!
Overall we are very happy with our new coach, in addition fuel consumption is about 1.3mpg better then the Solera – I guess the new cab over shape and lower overall height do that.
Hans
Arrived today from Amazon, this thing will make a nice addition to the W, with lots of different uses. Thanks for the heads-up !!
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #28

No backup monitor ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
The got rid of the backup monitor - not good...
Really ? No backup monitor ? Why would they do that ? how the heck are you supposed to see what is behind you ?
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
Really ? No backup monitor ? Why would they do that ? how the heck are you supposed to see what is behind you ?
Perhaps the standalone monitor has been replaced by integrating it with the in-dash audio system? I think I've seen some hints of that somewhere on the forum...

Dave

Tags
forester, solera, upgrade