Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #1

Upgrading/Improving Audio System Quality

My 2016 Prism is comfortable, but pretty basic … a Jensen entertainment system in the cab dash and a television in the loft (a few other items, but not germane to this thread). There is no additional factory-install speakers or wiring in the coach. The audio quality from either of these systems is poor. I found a few other threads regarding this topic, but nothing substantive toward solutions (I'm sure I missed something). In my instance, the two primary reasons for wanting to upgrade the audio system are: 1) Sirius XM is connected to cab-dash Jensen radio, where the Sprinter speakers are inadequate; 2) Coach television speakers are seriously deficient, especially if running the generator. A solution, in summary, is to install additional (amplified) speakers in the coach with a cab-radio/coach-tv selector switch. (And, during the process, extend the cab-radio audio wiring to the outside entertainment area.)

I'll lay out a brief outline of thoughts here so that folks can constructively contribute to the plan, share their solutions, and present additional ideas on the topic. Hopefully, tangent issues, such as generator noise, can be taken to a separate thread discussion. Opinions from folks who have already solved this sound-system issue to their satisfaction are truly appreciated. One of my primary considerations is quality installation workmanship (point being, that while upgrades will not add to future trade value, poor workmanship will quickly erode any value).

Outline (brief):
  1. Install wiring for two, preferably four, speakers in coach. A four speaker system provides better audio quality with reduced volume, but may not be practical to install.
  2. Install audio source selector switch (3-to-1 stereo for cab-radio/coach-tv/aux) and an appropriate audio amplifier (to drive speakers).
  3. Install audio wiring from cab-dash unit (Jensen) to selector switch location. Also extend this wiring to the outside entertainment system (for future).
  4. Install appropriate speakers. Probably small speaker boxes since wall/ceiling inserts may not be possible.
  5. Install 12-volt power wiring (switched if necessary) to amplifier and switch (if needed).
That's the brief for this upgrade plan. Perhaps folks who have already addressed such a project have a few better or alternative ideas.
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:22 PM   #2

Are you saying that your 2016 Prism did not come with 4 ceiling speakers, one by each of the LED ceiling lights, and also a sub woofer attached to the crappy Furion DV 1200 "entertainment" system?

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Are you saying that your 2016 Prism did not come with 4 ceiling speakers, one by each of the LED ceiling lights, and also a sub woofer attached to the crappy Furion DV 1200 "entertainment" system?
... I think I said something like that. Also don't have a DV-1200, which I gather from your tone, is a good thing.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #4

By the way, I wasn't planning to install a sub-woofer, primarily because I can't find a suitably useful location for one. Maybe bolt a ULF transducer to frame (joking).
Old 09-22-2018, 09:56 PM   #5

Sorry - I thought it was standard. I don't use the sub as I suspect my neighbors in an RV park would not appreciate it.

Good luck with getting your system going!

My prism 24G has the sub next to the 3 kitchen drawers to the left of the sink below the entertainment center.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:31 PM   #6

I downgraded my stereo system by removing it. We never listen to it anyway and removing the cabinet that it sat in resulted in much more available floor space.

Another reason is that my GF likes classical music and I like classic rock, metal, surf, doo wop, etc. I guess you get the picture so I take my earbuds and MP3 player along.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:27 PM   #7

If it is like our Jensen in dash unit vx4022 it will not sound good if you do not go into settings and adjust the Eq.
The Jensen in our MH is only connected to the chassis speakers in the doors. There are connections on the Jensen for another set of speakers, pre-amp outs, a/v outputs, HDMI in and out, bluetooth, xm/sirrius, etc. The installation manual wire diagram will show everything.
What I did was I bought a portable boom box that has bluetooth, aux in, usb, SD card, am fm, etc, and it is rechargeable. You can use it with the in dash unit or with the television if it has bluetooth. If the television does not have bt you can get one that does or get a bt transmitter that plugs into the earphone output of the television. I like the sound it has and that it is portable to take outside and she likes to take it to the campfire.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:27 AM   #8

One of the many perks of getting old is hearing loss of range. The most expensive speakers sold don’t helpme. Only need everything louder. ��
Cheap speakers work.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:06 AM   #9

Tosh99 – improving the sound is more for my wife than for me. Mostly, we listen to the dash radio (SiriusXM) while driving and sometimes during the morning around breakfast. Luckily we both enjoy 60s/70s music. We also occasionally watch television, or a movie on the TV. Floor space certainly is premium in a 25-foot mobile palace.

markb422 – yes, our dash unit is a Jensen VM9226BT, with speakers in the dash and door panel ... pretty much the same as your setup. I added SiriusXM to the unit. My thought is to bring the L/R front pre-amp lines back to a coach amplifier and speakers. Your portable "Boom Box" idea is an optional thought; it would certainly be cheaper and easier. Building an installed system will probably cost me about $300-$500, plus the stress of running wires & installing speakers ... but it might also be a good winter-time project.

pdqparalegal1 – I'm getting new hearing aids tomorrow. The doc says they'll improving my hearing ... I suppose that's good, just so long as it doesn't effect my selective deafness.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:58 PM   #10

More benefits to the boom box BT idea is you can use BT headphones like I do when I want to watch the news/weather in the morning while she is still sleeping.
Also, the boom box can be used independently of the rest of the system with a SD card. We both do like 60's 70's and I load up a SD card with about 600 songs. We can take it to the campfire to listen to and not disturb the neighbors like we would if we wanted to play outside speakers mounted on the side of the MH.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #11

I just built a shelf over the Tv and mounted a sound bar to it. We don’t use it much because it will blow us out of the trailer. My middle name is “over Kill”......on everything.
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
... My middle name is “over Kill”......on everything.
Gee, perhaps we're related. I enjoy the same form of psychosis ...
Old 09-25-2018, 09:52 AM   #13

I upgraded the Sprinter factory speakers in the door and applied soundproofing to the metal door panels while i had the door moulding off. The MB speakers are very cheap and the upgrade made a big difference in the cab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67BA86F3-34C2-4997-B40E-D578FD04631F.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	187502   Click image for larger version

Name:	61DCEFF8-1486-40EF-95FB-FC397BE461ED.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	187503  
Old 09-25-2018, 10:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
I upgraded the Sprinter factory speakers in the door and applied soundproofing to the metal door panels while i had the door moulding off. The MB speakers are very cheap and the upgrade made a big difference in the cab.
I like what you did. Your sound dampening job looks nice. I've been thinking about doing that as well. What improvement did it actually make? Which speakers did you upgrade to and what did you do the dampening job with?
Old 09-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #15

The details of the upgrade are all in this thread

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...de-169261.html
Old 10-04-2018, 07:53 PM   #16

Progress Report:
I've ordered nearly everything for this upgrade. Most of it has arrived, but I'm still waiting for a few items. I'll begin installation work soon. Will keep you posted ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181004_174559.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	188264  
Old 03-22-2019, 10:49 PM   #17

Working on this conversion tonight, thanks for all the good ideas in this thread, getting the new speakers epoxied into the OEM housing proved to be a bit challenging but some work with a file and grinder seems to have yielded the results I was after so far.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6794.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	199421   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6796.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	199422  
Old 03-23-2019, 03:38 AM   #18

Might have been an easier way

There are adapters for aftermarket speakers. Here is what I used.

Also a link for the Kenwood upgrade I did on our Forester MBS.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:16 AM   #19

Great sound would be mice , but I cant get AM radio 3 or 4 miles from the transmitting station.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #20

Installation is finished and now the doors close and sound more like a Mercedes. I may even consider using the deadner on the inside of the tinny front fenders in the future.

Had some high density foam in the garage so decided to add some pockets in behind the speakers to further cancel out the road noise.

I'm looking forward to road testing this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6798.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	199856  

Tags
quality