Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #21

By adding a pocket of foam like that, you are deadening any bass you might have as well as the noise. Just have to decide which you want to live with.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
By adding a pocket of foam like that, you are deadening any bass you might have.

Correct. I was thinking the same thing when I saw this. He's basically removed all air space, meaning the woofer cone won't be able to move. Mid range woofers and coaxials are, for the most part, designed for free air applications. I'm gonna say he's probably lost everything from probably a few hundred Hz on down.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Correct. I was thinking the same thing when I saw this. He's basically removed all air space, meaning the woofer cone won't be able to move. Mid range woofers and coaxials are, for the most part, designed for free air applications. I'm gonna say he's probably lost everything from probably a few hundred Hz on down.

Isn't that what the powered subwoofer under the dinette is for?
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Isn't that what the powered subwoofer under the dinette is for?

A subwoofer will typically produce sound in the 100HZ and below range. Humans can hear down to about 20Hz, but most subs reach their -3db and -10db point before that- commonly in the 40Hz range, but it varies. You could write volumes on this topic, but in general what will happen is that there will be a massive gap in sound reproduction in the bass and low mid-range frequencies when you fill that area with foam like the earlier post mentions.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #25

Almost all automotive type speakers are built for free air. Better to just use the sound damping on the outside skin of the door.
Don't buy the foam speaker dampers unless you want to kill almost all your low freq..
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:10 AM   #26

All good info. Thanks.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality