RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-26-2020, 06:09 PM   #1

What is this for exactly?

Hello everyone! We just picked up our new to us 2018 Forest River Forester MBS 2401WS. Not the best time to buy a new RV in the northeast because its winterizing time and, oh yea, Covid. But we are looking forward to better times.

I owned a 2016 Sunseeker Class C and winterized that numerous times, but I've never seen this lever (switch? valve?). At any rate I can see that I most definitely want it in the "winterizing" position but what exactly does it do? I will likely blow the lines out run the pink stuff through this weekend but I just want to make sure I do this right. I don't even know where the low point drains are. Like I said we just brought it home maybe 2 hours ago.

I remember this forum being super helpful with my Sunseeker so I am glad to be back in the fold.

Hope everyone is well and thanks in advance for the help and, no doubt, future inquires I will have as we get acquainted with our new ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3726.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	241963  
ddepr1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:06 PM   #2

When you flip that switch, it gets colder outside and begins to snow.
nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:16 PM   #3

i flipped my switch last night. 10 inch snow in denver.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddepr1217 View Post
Hello everyone! We just picked up our new to us 2018 Forest River Forester MBS 2401WS. Not the best time to buy a new RV in the northeast because its winterizing time and, oh yea, Covid. But we are looking forward to better times.

I owned a 2016 Sunseeker Class C and winterized that numerous times, but I've never seen this lever (switch? valve?). At any rate I can see that I most definitely want it in the "winterizing" position but what exactly does it do? I will likely blow the lines out run the pink stuff through this weekend but I just want to make sure I do this right. I don't even know where the low point drains are. Like I said we just brought it home maybe 2 hours ago.

I remember this forum being super helpful with my Sunseeker so I am glad to be back in the fold.

Hope everyone is well and thanks in advance for the help and, no doubt, future inquires I will have as we get acquainted with our new ride.
If you open the panel just to the left of that lever, youíll find your water pump and a hose you can put into a jug of RV antifreeze to winterize your rig. Itís located underneath the floor of your shower.

Any further questions, Private Message me in the upper right corner because the cold weather is not far off.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddepr1217 View Post
At any rate I can see that I most definitely want it in the "winterizing" position but what exactly does it do?
This is a winterizing diverter valve. It switches fresh water intake from the water tank to a separate hose (which should be coiled up somewhere near the water tank/pump - it may be a clear vinyl hose...) The idea is that you stick the hose into your rv antifreeze bottle, switch the valve to the winterizing position, and use the water pump to suck the antifreeze into and through your water system.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:25 AM   #6

Thanks! That makes sense. I had a similar set up on my Sunseeker except it was in a separate compartment and not nearly as "elegant" lol.
Many thanks!
ddepr1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #7

Valve replacement

Just wanted to add my two cents. The valve in the picture can freeze up on you. Mine did. Able to find just the valve without the face plate on the US Plastics web site for a lot cheaper than amazon or CW .

Just to share a source for anyone who runs into this problem.
jshaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:23 PM   #8

No blowout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
If you open the panel just to the left of that lever, youíll find your water pump and a hose you can put into a jug of RV antifreeze to winterize your rig. Itís located underneath the floor of your shower.

Any further questions, Private Message me in the upper right corner because the cold weather is not far off.
There's no need to blow out the lines if you are winterizing with RV antifreeze. Bypass and drain the water heater.
  • Take the filter element out of the filter.
  • Set up the winterizing valve, tubing, and jug
  • Start the water pump
  • Run each faucet, hot and cold, until pink stuff comes out. The antifreeze will displace the water in the pipes, pushing it out first.
  • Don't forget toilets and outside showers.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #9

There is another slick trick for the winterizing valve. I can switch the valve to winterize, stick the winterizing hose into a fresh water source, then place the outside rinse or shower hose into the fresh water intake, start the water pump and presto, adds fresh water to the fresh water tank. I have used this method several times when boon-docking to add more water.
Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #10

As to the low point drains mine are under kitchen sink on my 24R one red and one blue. Not sure about location on the W.

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #11
oreddie

Low Drain Point

On my 2401 WS the drain is located behind a white cover plate under the rig just forward of the rear bumper.