Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2021, 09:00 PM   #1

Wheel Speed sensor

Took RV in to have a wheel speed sensor replaced under the extended warranty. They found one other that had coded at some point in time. They replaced both.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:47 AM   #2

This is a known MBS problem. https://mbparts.mbusa.com/mercedes-s...ensor-problems (It affects Freightliner-based units, see below.)

NHTSA was investigating. Some complaints were a little unnerving. https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...stigated.shtml

A recall was issued dated Feb. 3, 2021 for 2012-2018 MBS and Freightliner 3500 vans upfitted to RVs. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...1V042-1726.PDF " Description of Recall Schedule: Dealers will be notified of the pending voluntary recall campaign approx. Feb. 2021."

It is also referred to as an Electronic Stability Control Unit (ESC) Malfunction, because the wheel speed sensor is used by the ESC Unit. https://oemdtc.com/5831/nc3drezaha-e...-sprinter-3500

I recently received a letter from MBUSA providing an extended warranty on the wheel speed sensors to a total of 10 years/no mileage limit from the vehicle's New Vehicle Limited Warranty start date (which should be the date the original RV selling dealer registered the first owner to MBUSA, not the date of chassis production).

However, I have not received a recall notice yet. Sometimes this means they are waiting on making a sufficient quantity of parts. Or it may just be the rollout timing.

More informaiton is available on Sprinter-Source here: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/95259/
Old 03-25-2021, 06:15 PM   #3

Indeed...

I've replaced all of them, myself... one by one. Luckily after the second one went I had the good sense to stock a spare set of rears and one front (same p/n) in the rig. I've already used and restocked a front sensor and the LR. Good thing, it's a really easy job. Bring zipties for the rear.

Really bad engineering to have the transmission shift into neutral upon sensor failure since there's no sensor on the tailshaft and it won't immediately switch to the remaining axle sensor as the sole input.

-Mike
mikefd3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
This is a known MBS problem. https://mbparts.mbusa.com/mercedes-s...ensor-problems (It affects Freightliner-based units, see below.)

NHTSA was investigating. Some complaints were a little unnerving. https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...stigated.shtml

A recall was issued dated Feb. 3, 2021 for 2012-2018 MBS and Freightliner 3500 vans upfitted to RVs. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...1V042-1726.PDF " Description of Recall Schedule: Dealers will be notified of the pending voluntary recall campaign approx. Feb. 2021."

It is also referred to as an Electronic Stability Control Unit (ESC) Malfunction, because the wheel speed sensor is used by the ESC Unit. https://oemdtc.com/5831/nc3drezaha-e...-sprinter-3500

I recently received a letter from MBUSA providing an extended warranty on the wheel speed sensors to a total of 10 years/no mileage limit from the vehicle's New Vehicle Limited Warranty start date (which should be the date the original RV selling dealer registered the first owner to MBUSA, not the date of chassis production).

However, I have not received a recall notice yet. Sometimes this means they are waiting on making a sufficient quantity of parts. Or it may just be the rollout timing.

More informaiton is available on Sprinter-Source here: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/95259/

I was just at dealer this week and asked about the wheel censors. What I was told is that they aren’t going to have a mass recall. What’s going to happen is if one fails and you take it in they will then replace them both with the new style. Which are more moisture resistant. Of course no charge.
EdFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:32 AM   #5

With globalization I wonder of MB is now purchasing parts from Lucas, Prince of Darkness?
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
With globalization I wonder of MB is now purchasing parts from Lucas, Prince of Darkness?
That's why the Brits drink warm beer.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFla View Post
I was just at dealer this week and asked about the wheel censors. What I was told is that they aren’t going to have a mass recall. What’s going to happen is if one fails and you take it in they will then replace them both with the new style. Which are more moisture resistant. Of course no charge.
It's unfortunate that your dealer is misinformed, but there is a lot going on with these units right now. This is, in fact, a recall as noted in my post which you quoted. Excerpt:
The NHTSA recall document characterizes the recall remedy as shown in the attached screen shot. As indicated, this is a "pending" recall that will be rolled out as parts are available. Owners will receive an "interim customer notification letters" and then MB will "renotify consumers when remedy parts are available."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 3.05.11 PM.png
Views:	103
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	252756  
Old 05-09-2021, 01:12 PM   #8

Front sensor

Another wheel sensor failed today. Makes number 6. This time it is the front right. I Will set up an appointment with the dealer in the AM.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:30 PM   #9
First Rate Primate

Had a rear sensor go bad last week. Intermittent cruise control on a 2,700 was a huge pain.

Dealer says the recall isn't active yet. I presume this is because the redesigned "more robust" sensors are not available yet.

They did confirm that the warranty has been extended for wheel speed sensors.

I have an appointment in two weeks to get it fixed.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Another wheel sensor failed today. Makes number 6. This time it is the front right. I Will set up an appointment with the dealer in the AM.
Took the RV in and they replaced both front-wheel speed sensors. They still don't have the beefed-up sensors so there will be another dealer visit before long.
They also completed the AEM recall. Replaced a lot of parts including the exhaust system. Now just to send in the paperwork.
Old 05-03-2023, 09:00 PM   #11
First Rate Primate

2016 Sprinter 3500 (2017 Prism 2150LE) 41,000 miles - original owner

1,000 miles from home this week and got the dreaded "Three Stooges" lights on the dashboard. Code pointed to the right front wheel speed sensor. This made sense since I replaced the left front at my own expense last year. No big deal. I can live without cruise control until I can find a Sprinter dealer who could squeeze me in to replace it. I have been plagued by wheel speed sensor problems feon early on in ownership.

A little further down the road I get a CEL and the rig goes into limp mode. 44 mph was all she would do on the flats. Got code P0405 which is related to the EGR valve. Removed the EGR valve in a truck stop parking lot. It was a little dirty but no where near stuck. I cleaned it up and reinstalled it. No change. Still limping and same code which I could not clear. Limped it 45 miles to Mercedes of Daytona Beach where I got the familiar "We are three weeks out on Sprinter service appointments". After some pleading, the service manager said if I could leave it there over the weekend, he'd get it in on Monday. Rented a car and dropped the RV off at the dealer.

He calls me Monday and tells me it is fixed. He says there was no EGR valve code and that the culprit was both front wheel speed sensors were bad. I was skeptical but what else could I do but say thanks and pick it up. 1.5 hours away from Daytona Beach the Sprinter starts limping again and throws the same EGR Valve code. Limped it back to Jacksonville where I plan to be sitting at the Mercedes dealer at 7 am tomorrow.

This rig has had the full emissions recall performed on it and is also one off the models that was part of the class action lawsuit.

I am thoroughly disgusted at this point. I am still a thousand miles from home with my wife, dog, and motorcycle trailer. I hope the dealer is sympathetic and can do something for us quickly. If they can't, I'll probably rent a truck to drag the trailer home with and leave the RV in Jacksonville.

I dont I know if I'll ever trust this rig on a long trip again.

Any words of wisdom?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230503_215948.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	286688
Old 05-05-2023, 04:21 PM   #12
First Rate Primate

The limp was gone when I started the engine Thursday morning. Hit Jacksonville Mercedes at 7 am as planned. Super nice people there. They got me in right away. They saw the EGR codes stored in memory but said they couldn't do anything without active codes. The drove it 150 miles but could not get it to throw the code again. I had them change the engine oil/filter and the fuel filter while it was there. Decided to head for home. Made it180 miles out of Jacksonville Thursday evening. We stopped off for two nights in SC. We head out for the remaining leg back home in the morning. Hoping for the best.
Old 05-08-2023, 07:38 PM   #13
First Rate Primate

Made it 200 trouble free mikes the first day before stopping in SC for two nights.

Made it the rest of the way home on Saturday without any more trouble codes or limping.

So what causes the limp/EGR code episodes? The only theory I have is that they were heat related. Both times it happened it was in the 80's on sunny days with intermittent heavy traffic. And both times it resolved after sitting overnight.

Maybe it will never happen again. Time will tell.

Tags
wheel