Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2018, 09:55 PM   #1

Window shades for Sprinter

I have a 2016 SunSeeker MBS. I have one of those funky curtains held on with Velcro to block out the morning light and keep people from looking in on us at night. This curtain is sort of OK but you have to crawl under it to access the cockpit if you need to get something. Has anyone seen some shades for the windshield and side windows that can be used for this purpose? I think some of the manufactures have built in shades that slide to cover up these windows. I wonder of Forest River has such an accessary.

Bruce
brucebollert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:09 PM   #2

We don't have a Sprinter... Ours is on a RAM ProMaster and got tired of putting up the curtain. So I went online and found a wraparound sunshade that I had to order from Europe for our rig. It looks a lot like this one for the Sprinter
https://www.sprinterpartsdepot.com/p...hoCJWAQAvD_BwE

There are other ones for the inside of the windows from WeatherTech or Amazon.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:24 PM   #3

A company called Remis makes a really nice set. You can find them on Amazon.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #4

I've used the Dash Designs retractable sun shade:
https://www.dashdesigns.com/p-37139-...ble-shade.html
It's not a blackout shade - some light filters in - and it leaves a few small spots around the edges open. But it's inexpensive (around $40) and very easy to use. I use it in conjunction with a couple of suction cup covers for the cab door windows, generally for short term (overnight) use.

I use an outside wraparound cover, which covers the windshield and both door windows, if I'm going to be parked at one location for a few days. But it's much more expensive...and much more cumbersome to deploy.

Dave
Old 10-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #5

We block outside viewing several different ways. We have the outside wrap around but seldom us it. Typically, we put reflectix in the windows and also a expandable curtain rod across the rear of the cockpit with two curtains on it that can be opened in the middle for cockpit access.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #6

We have an Adco window cover we use on the outside. It's not hard to put on and it's sturdy and blocks the view from the outside. We also bought a roll of reflector from Lowe's and cut pieces for our side Windows. We used superglue to attach magnets around the perimeter. This is great for use when it's parked in the heat. We leave them on when parked at home. We bought a folding refletix window cover for use inside.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #7

Sun Shades

Go to Euro Camper on line. They have some great insulated shades that are designed for the Sprinter windshield and side door windows. Provide complete privacy and cut down the heat from sun quite a bit. Have had for three years and best investment by far.
jlewis3323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #8

I ordered the Remis shades on my 2018 Isata 3 as an option. Factory installed and work GREAT. Cover both side windows and the windshield. 2 minutes to block the front windows
Old 10-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post
I ordered the Remis shades on my 2018 Isata 3 as an option. Factory installed and work GREAT. Cover both side windows and the windshield. 2 minutes to block the front windows
X2 and the nice thing is that the entire cab area is open for storage while your camped as well as giving you complete privacy.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucebollert View Post
I have a 2016 SunSeeker MBS. I have one of those funky curtains held on with Velcro to block out the morning light and keep people from looking in on us at night. This curtain is sort of OK but you have to crawl under it to access the cockpit if you need to get something. Has anyone seen some shades for the windshield and side windows that can be used for this purpose? I think some of the manufactures have built in shades that slide to cover up these windows. I wonder of Forest River has such an accessary.

Bruce
We have a windshield cover that we'd be willing to sell. We no longer have the Sprinter chassis and the cover doesn't work with our current motorhome. If interested at all, PM me and I'll send a photo, etc.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #11

As usually happens on this forum, great information and several choices.

We use this shade; I ordered the side cab windows too.
https://www.amazon.com/HEM-HIGH-END-...1-1&ref=sr_1_1

I still use the hanging cloth shade when I'm parked somewhere with a nice front view during the day. Otherwise, I put up the silver shade, which also keeps the RV much cooler.

I also put up the silver shades when the RV is in storage to protect the interior. My RV is almost always in a sunny climate.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucebollert View Post

Bruce
Go to website, Heather Original HeatShields.
Enter your make/model and you'll find custom fit heatshields for front and cab windows. I checked and they do carry/make them for the Sprinter MB.
Been using a set for 4 years now, and they cannot be beat. Haven't used our "curtin" since we got them.
Daytime they will block sun/heat, and at night they will totally block view to inside of your rig.
They are custom fit for each vehicle and fit and quality is just great.
Looks like a set for your Sprinter would run about 80 bucks with free shipping.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:09 PM   #13
Old Engineer

Have the Remis shades on our Sprinter

We have the Remis shades on our Sprinter and love them.
Takes 2 minutes to close them or open them, they are self storing so you don't have to find space to store them.
In hot weather we use an additional windshield cover on the outside if we are pointed south for the added insulation and IR reflecting ability. There are cheaper solutions, but nothing better.
FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:04 AM   #14

Here's what I use: https://www.high-end-motorsports.com...shade-set.html
Old 10-20-2018, 12:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Go to website, Heather Original HeatShields.
Enter your make/model and you'll find custom fit heatshields for front and cab windows. I checked and they do carry/make them for the Sprinter MB.
Been using a set for 4 years now, and they cannot be beat. Haven't used our "curtin" since we got them.
Daytime they will block sun/heat, and at night they will totally block view to inside of your rig.
They are custom fit for each vehicle and fit and quality is just great.
Looks like a set for your Sprinter would run about 80 bucks with free shipping.
Grumpy
X2!
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #16

I use the ADCO wrap around cover. It sells for about $45.
Pros: Blocks the heat out vs. interior shades which do allow heat in. Easy to install. Folds up small. Low price. Totally blocks window openings. Theft-proof, as it is held in place in the door frame.
Cons: Have to partially remove it to open a cab door. It has a soft fabric back, so if stored wet it may mildew. It has magnets on two corners which can pick up small metal fragments that you may not be able to see but can scratch paint where they contact the doors (I solved this by applying clear film on the contact areas of the doors). Since it is an exterior cover, privacy could be compromised if a Peeping Tom lifted a corner.
I use either the ADCO or the factory interior curtain, and sometimes both if trying to reduce the area I'm heating or cooling, depending on the situation.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:24 PM   #17

Adco is nice, until the first time you have to put in on or take it off in pouring rain. Then your stuck with a soaking wet piece of vinyl that you have to roll up and store away wet. I used one for the first 2 years we had our rig.
Found out about the HeatShiels and have used it ever since.
Goes on and off from the inside, rolls up to a small package. Ended up giving away the Adco. Guy I gave it too saw the HeatShield I had, and got his own set.
Adco is OK but old school. Once you use a set that installs from the inside, no matter the brand, you'll never go back.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeboone View Post
X2
Old 10-25-2018, 06:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Adco is nice, until the first time you have to put in on or take it off in pouring rain. Then your stuck with a soaking wet piece of vinyl that you have to roll up and store away wet. I used one for the first 2 years we had our rig.
Found out about the HeatShiels and have used it ever since.
Goes on and off from the inside, rolls up to a small package. Ended up giving away the Adco. Guy I gave it too saw the HeatShield I had, and got his own set.
Adco is OK but old school. Once you use a set that installs from the inside, no matter the brand, you'll never go back.
Grumpy
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in the pros and cons that a disadvantage of the ADCO cover is that it is Old School.
However, a full exterior windshield cover will always keep your cab area cooler than an interior shade system. To each his own.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
X2

X3 these are great. The windshield unit is, of course, quite large but we store all three of the pieces behind or under our couch.

Tags
window