Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Lexie

Registry
RV Name Lexie
Year 2010
Make Forest River
Model Lexington 300SS GTS
Length 32
2010 Forest River Lexington 300SS GTS
Basic Info Flew to Detroit and Ubered to Ann Arbor. It had been kept in an RV garage by 1st owner whom we purchased from. I turned it over 27K driving home (south of Knoxville). I got about 8.8 mph running 65-67 with some light winds. Gennie is gunked up from Ethenol but am working to get it going. Very clean unit and very well built- especially compared to stuff being churned out in last years.
Exterior
First was to replace the 12 year old tires. Even though Michelins, they were 12 years old. I kept te hd tire dealer put them in rear storage). I sold them for $250 in 2 days when I got home. They had 12/32s tread left and no sidewall checking-- probably from being inside kept. I elected not to replace with Michelins due to cost. I put on 6 Pathfinders (made by Hankook and compared to Michelins). Cost diff was $220 vs $1450 (which was down to $1200 after I sold the originals) so $1000 difference. They road better than originals but probably because new.

In process of upgrading from 2 flooded type batteries to Lithium (and the components to charge/monitor Lithium batteries).

Just picked up a complete 10K Blue Ox tow package for $350 including a baseplate that was supposedly used for a Jeep- year unknown). I also was given another base plate that looks like for a Toyota T100 pickup which I will be selling since I do not think it will work on anything I might tow. Wife has a RAV4 but AWD so can't be flat towed. I have a CJ5 in process of frame of restore and am trying to get it ready cause it is a perfect size towed vehicle.

Interior
First to go was the couch. We bought 2 recliners from RecPro and sold couch for $240.

Convert all bulbs to LED (except fridge and exterior scare light which probably won't get used enough (if at all) to justify spending the money. I thought I would need to replace all the fixtures with LED but found LED bulbs plenty bright that fit current fixtures, I cut about 2/3s of watts with more light and much less heat.

Also added some insulation above the ceiling fixtures. Having Halogens, there was a 4" hole all the way to the bottom of the fiberglass roof bottom to dissipate heat. Now it is much tighter.

Also added some insulation to the front bubble but eventually will pull that area apart and do it right and add some storage behind the TV.

Customizations
Have a front 2" receiver on order to put a bike rack (or other options) on front instead of rear.

the plan is to replace the front seats because the fabric (crap) on it is flaking off (a very common problem it seems since just about any other Lexington we have seen has same problem. We want to get swivel pedestals for more interior seating when parked.

Renovations and Repairs
Inverter doesn't have power from batteries but it only runs TV/sound outlet which we won't use much- at least until we are both retired and on road for long stretches. I'll troubleshoot it when I get more time and it becomes a need.

Tow Vehicle
This is the tow vehicle. I hope to tow a Jeep with this.

Favorite Camping Destinations
We have already camped in 18 of the 60+ National Parks and want to use this to get as many more as we can along with any other place we find.
Comments: 0 / Views: 264

Tags
forest river, gts, lexington