Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2017, 06:31 AM   #1

320a Stainless steel fridge or regular electric/propane

Im looking into buying a new 2018 320a toyhauler and my local dealer has one and it has the stainless steel fridge. My current toyhauler has the electric/propane fridge and I was wondering what are the pros n cons between the two fridges? I know the stainless fridge is just electric and can not be turned on while going down the road. So what do you guys do in that case? do you run it before you leave and get it to temperature then shut it off ? I like the fact that I can run my current fridge going down the road but I also like the looks and size of the stainless fridge. Any input you guys have will be quite helpful !! thanks .......
Old 09-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #2

I purchased a new 5er in June with the residential SS fridge in it. We've had 5 other RVs in the past and this thing is just marvelous.

Now, there are pros and cons to the residential. It does operate only on power, but our unit came with a 1,000 watt inverter than runs it going down the highway. I think most of them do. The inverter will keep it running as long as the batteries hold up. (We added another battery for just in case). We have a 30 amp hookup where we park it beside the house, so that won't be a problem. It has SO much room and can hold lots of items. The freezer is huge and I can pack up enough food for 2 weeks for our family of 4.

Cons of that are that if the inverter doesn't do it's job, I can lose lots of food. Sometimes, the doors like to open a bit during transit. (You must have some type of closer to use and that makes a quick trip to the fridge for drinks hard to do.)

That's it. The good and the bad. The good outweighs the bad as far as Im concerned.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
Site Team

A lot of RV's now are going to residential fridges, and if you don't boondock, I personally think it's a good thing. You're TV will extend the battery charge whenever you're towing and the batteries will last a pretty good time if you're not opening the fridge much, causing the compressor to run.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #4

Well thanks for all the replys buttttt we just got back from our local dealer and it's a no go on our end !! They wanted $49999 for the 320a which wasn't bad but they only wanted to give us $17000 for our 2015 work n play 38' FK 5th wheel that we payed $48000 2 years ago !!! So not going to happen ! Left the dealer a little P O'd and the salesman new it!!! So looks like we're going to be in this one for a while !! I just dont understand how it could depreciate that much ! 2 1/2 years old and only worth 35% of the original price !!
Old 09-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithfirefighter View Post
Well thanks for all the replys buttttt we just got back from our local dealer and it's a no go on our end !! They wanted $49999 for the 320a which wasn't bad but they only wanted to give us $17000 for our 2015 work n play 38' FK 5th wheel that we payed $48000 2 years ago !!! So not going to happen ! Left the dealer a little P O'd and the salesman new it!!! So looks like we're going to be in this one for a while !! I just dont understand how it could depreciate that much ! 2 1/2 years old and only worth 35% of the original price !!
That's why we keep ours once we buy them. Had the last one 23 years! They are like cars and drop in value really fast. Of course at a dealer it is even worse since they have overhead to consider and have to make a profit when they sell it just to cover their expenses. Our "new" trailer is 5 years old and we plan on keeping it another 15 years at least. Fortunately, we really love it. Just hope we can get parts for it for that long. I understand motor homes don't lose value like that, though.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #6
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

The DW and I have been in and out dealers, talked on the phone with wholesalers for 18 months Texas to Arizona to South Dakota to Illinois. We never liked their trade-in pricing. Then as a norm we stopped in at Campingworld of Davenport, Iowa. Never been there but we said "what the heck lets take a look". The sales person showed us a floor plan that we were interested in and wrote down his "clearance" offer. We liked it but as it goes we had a trade-in. After looking on the internet we were gassed at what they were going for. He did undershoot our trade value, but after holding his feet to the fire (including emailing him a pic of the brochure where he wrote the price and threating to email it to the company) he relented. We more than made up for our trade deficit. So.... its out there, just stop in and say hello where ever the road takes you. Its waiting for you.
P.S. It does have the residential fridge with dual batteries, sola prep, and a 1000 watt inverter.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #7
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I rarely do trade ins and sell private party. Yeah it's a little bit of work but you end up getting more money than doing a trade in.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:13 PM   #8

Too many differences you have to make up your own mind by how you use it.
Had a Samsung res refer in the class a. To repair it had to come out --- through the rear window. 9 months later it needed replaced and again through the rear window. When that one acted up traded for a 5er with the RV refer.
Warranty techs for Samsung would not even look at them in the rv, so had them on the dealer shop floor.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, fridge, propane