Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2021, 01:06 PM   #1

Beware the solar panel

Just a warning to anyone who has the solar panel installed, today I was leaving a park and made a hard right hand turn at a stop light (maybe 5-10mph). All of a sudden my solar panel comes crashing onto the ground in the middle of the road. I pick it up and continue home where I can climb the roof and see what happened. I looked at the roof and I don't think there is any way a low wire or something could have taken it off, it is between the ac units and next to the tv antenna so anything that grabbed the panel would have also grabbed an ac or some other item protruding from the roof. I picked it up quickly since it was in the road and did not find all the fasteners ( I would have tried but the a-holes kept trying to run me over so I just got out of there). There were a couple screws that I found but at least one bracket was put in with a 6pd or smaller nail and no screws at all. So if you have the panel go up and look how it is attached because I'm sure someone would have very happy if it would have crashed down on their car instead of the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210613_125027.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	256902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210613_121928.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	256903  
Keith_Schumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #2

Do you have any pics of it installed and attachment details?

Any VHB tape used or just screw(s)/nail(s)?
Looks like some Dicor was used - what was it applied to?
What's the rig?
Was it a factory installation?
Old 06-13-2021, 07:45 PM   #3

Factory install, just self leveling caulk nothing else. Can't see how its attached from previous pictures, I only bought it a few months ago and this was the second trip out. 2021 Vengeance Rogue Armored 371.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210602_194513.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	256929  
Keith_Schumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:22 PM   #4

I bet a branch somewhere helped pull the screws and the highway wind finished the job. Its only mounted in thin plywood. Looks like drywall screws from my phone
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:31 PM   #5

Hmm... this prompts me to think about adding a piece of sheet metal from the top edges of my forward panels at the leading end, down to the roof. Anything that would scrape along it would be deflected over the top, rather than allowing it to catch the edge.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:49 PM   #6

IF I were to install solar panels on the roof of my TT I'd first install some rails solidly secured to roof cross members. THEN secure panels to the rails. Just like residential panels.

Screwing them to the "cigar box wood" used as roof underlayment on RV's makes no sense.

This isn't the first incident of solar panels suddenly ending up on the road I have read and actually had related to me in person.

An added benefit of installing rails is fewer roof penetrations that need sealing.

I'd personally avoid having a dealer install the panels.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Hmm... this prompts me to think about adding a piece of sheet metal from the top edges of my forward panels at the leading end, down to the roof. Anything that would scrape along it would be deflected over the top, rather than allowing it to catch the edge.
A fairing will also keep wind out from under the panels reducing "lift" as you drive down the highway.

Old 06-13-2021, 10:05 PM   #8

Some installers recommend only 3M VHB tape beneath the legs.

It's good stuff, but still a little too bold for me...
Old 06-13-2021, 10:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
IF I were to install solar panels on the roof of my TT I'd first install some rails solidly secured to roof cross members. THEN secure panels to the rails. Just like residential panels. ...
Mike, I like the rail idea but the only place our Flagstaff/Rockwood trailers have roof crossmembers is a single pair on either side of the opening for the air conditioner. There is a 1" square aluminum tubing frame around the periphery but there's nothing more solid than the roof deck itself anywhere else.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:12 PM   #10

That's why it's recommended to safety wire the panels to something on the roof.
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Mike, I like the rail idea but the only place our Flagstaff/Rockwood trailers have roof crossmembers is a single pair on either side of the opening for the air conditioner. There is a 1" square aluminum tubing frame around the periphery but there's nothing more solid than the roof deck itself anywhere else.
The "brochure" contains a cutaway drawing showing the aluminum trusses not only at the main A/C location but also at the Air Vent at the other end of the trailer.

Long rails extending from the aluminum truss to truss would be more than enough to secure the panels.

Even if they weren't there I'd be installing some long bolts (they don't have to be large diameter) from inside to outside and merely finish inside with decorative Rosettes.

If the ends of the rails are secured properly then additional fasteners could be added at intermediate points although just bedding them in non sag sealing compound would be sufficient.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFather View Post
Some installers recommend only 3M VHB tape beneath the legs.

It's good stuff, but still a little too bold for me...
I used both 3M VHB tape and screws to mount mine, and used twice the number of recommended mounts. This does unfortunately lead to twice the number of potential leak points, but in true overkill fashion, I also used far more Dicor than needed. Lol.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The "brochure" contains a cutaway drawing showing the aluminum trusses not only at the main A/C location but also at the Air Vent at the other end of the trailer. ...
Perhaps in your model year, but not in mine (2020). This diagram was sent directly to me by Rockwood.

Red dotted lines are panel joints. Yellow strips are metal reinforcement in ceilings to secure cabinets and partitions. Red patch is steel reinforcement in ceiling to secure microwave.

The leading edge of the roof appears to have two 1" square tubes; sides and back have one 1" square tube. That's the only other solid place to attach to.

Name:	2507S roof diagram.png
Views:	90
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	257016

Old 06-14-2021, 09:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_Schumaker View Post
Factory install, just self leveling caulk nothing else. Can't see how its attached from previous pictures, I only bought it a few months ago and this was the second trip out. 2021 Vengeance Rogue Armored 371.
there's the problem , Factory install .lol A 3rd grader could do better at assembly of these RV . seems the workers don't give a crap. for every bad rv that comes down the line it shows a worker that didn't care . Saw a brand new rv today where they did not install the upper vent for the 2way fridge neither in the side wall or roof and the owners who were on their maiden voyage wondered why the fridge was not cooling
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:02 AM   #15

I bought a flexible panel, and attached it with silicone. Because it is plastic, it degrades over time, but it has lasted about 5 years now. I did this on my last camper and attempted to remove it when I sold it. It wasn't feasibile to remove it. I've read that it is better to have air flow under your panel to dissipate heat, but mine has worked well so far.

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel