Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 10:44 PM   #1

I need tips on hanging things on the walls

To clarify, how to hang things, not what.

In our old unit we found small wire shelves for spices and other things to be quite handy. As it turned out, I was able to use interior walls or the side of cabinets for all of them.

I used wall anchors and drilled very carefully and only deep enough to get through the thin panels, so as not to catch any possible wiring hiding in the wall.

I am finding that on the 25V, many of the best places are on an outside wall. I'd like a couple over the window valence above the sink for spices. A couple more next to the entrance door for bug spray, rolled kitchen towels, etc.

Has anyone else attached things to the outside walls inside your unit? What tips do you have to do the job right the first time and not mess it up? I'm anticipating some kind of insulation and possibly wiring. What kind of studs are in the outside walls of the 25V? 2x2 wood, right? Should I take care not to drill into a stud? Will a normal electronic stud finder work?

Keeping my fingers crossed somebody has been down this path and can share their experience.

Thanks.
Rampitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:01 AM   #2

You're probably more likely to find wiring or plumbing than studs if you drill into an outside wall. We use 3M Command hooks to hang *everything* in our trailer. They come in many sizes and shapes; we have yet to find something we wanted to hang on a wall that we couldn't affix with Command hooks. For heavy items we use multiple hooks. They remove cleanly without leaving any residue on the walls, which is great if you ever want to sell your trailer (or if you just want to move something to a new location).

Hope this helps.
ekrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:34 AM   #3

X2 on the Command Hooks. They work great!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I don't know how well Command Hooks will hold up on OUTSIDE walls?
If you had a smooth wall rig I'd recommend the suction cups that you pull a vacuum on with a pump button but since yours is a rippled wall rig my only suggestion is what you mentioned (with some careful planning) or possibly hanging something from the window frame.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:04 AM   #5

i hang with short screws. Walls are plywood. If its gonna stay there add some glue. I don't believe they frame with wood anymore. Roof trusses maybe, You will most likely find ALM frame vacuum bonded plywood and styrofoam. Mine is an '02 built this way. Yes, a standard stud finder will find the studs. With the vacuum bonding, I don't think you will find studs looking for nails or seams. I can't in my rig. Inside and outside walls are plywood glued to the styrofoam. I'd love to go see how these walls are made and how the wiring is incorporated into it. You won't find much plumbing in them. I just installed a thru the wall vent range hood. Best thing I've done so far. Wife is happy. That makes me.....well you know.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #6

Command hooks work good, but take into account how much weight you are putting on them and whether or not you forgot to remove the "hookee" when you broke camp to travel. Case in point... a clock hanging midpoint between sofa and dinette on the big slide. It now hangs on a small screw, need I say more! Short mollys are always appropriate to keep in your tool kit
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
Canadian Member

If your Vengence 25V uses wooden studs you can use a stud finder and small screws. I’ve also seen some use rivets for a permanent installation.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #8
Living the Dream

X4 on Command Hooks. They are perfect.

Go Hogs!
TheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:41 PM   #9

We use 3m command strips also! Work great
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:43 PM   #10

tried command hooks but they pulled the wallpaper from the wall board. Used short
mollies instead
Bob in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I don't know how well Command Hooks will hold up on OUTSIDE walls?
If you had a smooth wall rig I'd recommend the suction cups that you pull a vacuum on with a pump button but since yours is a rippled wall rig my only suggestion is what you mentioned (with some careful planning) or possibly hanging something from the window frame.
There are Command Hooks meant to use outside. Just Google "Outdoor Command Hooks". I know Wal-Mart carries some.
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #12

I use 3M Command hooks inside and out. They even work on exterior walls if not the clear plastic. I'm sure I have over a hundred hook throughout my rig (it's a utilitarian toy-hauler), and I hang a huge amount of equipment so it is visible and ready for use.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrus View Post
You're probably more likely to find wiring or plumbing than studs if you drill into an outside wall. We use 3M Command hooks to hang *everything* in our trailer. They come in many sizes and shapes; we have yet to find something we wanted to hang on a wall that we couldn't affix with Command hooks. For heavy items we use multiple hooks. They remove cleanly without leaving any residue on the walls, which is great if you ever want to sell your trailer (or if you just want to move something to a new location).

Hope this helps.
Command hooks work great. Also they have the new tape out that works like Velcro . I use them a lot.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:00 AM   #14

Lots of love for command strips.
Rampitup is offline   Reply With Quote