Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2018, 09:20 PM   #1

Pin weight Change by Toy

Am considering the 39R12 with about 3400 lbs pin. My F350 is the 11.5k version GVRW. The truck weighs 7400 lbs. That should give a 4100 payload. Add around 1000 lbs of us, fuel and stuff. The pin weight I would guess should not exceed 3100 lbs. What really concerns me is the truck's rear tires. Tires 275 65R 20" stock max ea at 3750 that should give 7500 rear max capacity. So I really need to weight the truck axels without 5th wheel.
Again the 39R12 has about 3400 pin weight. If I put a 1000 lb can-am in the toy hauler how will that change the pin weight. I would consider removing the generator until I replace the truck if it makes a significant difference to pin.
My questions are: Distribution of the truck's 8400 lbs between the front and rear axels. Change to pin weight based on toy weight. And would G tires (if available) be a short time solution.
I think I know the answer, DRW
Thanks for any response.
AnchorsAweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:59 PM   #2

Personally, we have a SRW one ton and a DRW one ton, but I don't feel comfortable hooking our 39R12 up to the single.

The rig is really, really big to tow and though it tracks super well going straight, you do really feel it in windy weather and in turns.

Even with our dually, you still can get some "tail wagging the dog". As for the calculations, the best thing to do is put the Can Am in the back with everything you plan to take, including fresh water, and go to the scales. There are so many variables that there aren't really any cut and dry calculations.

It's for this reason, we didn't put a washer/dryer in ours. We didn't want to add to the pin weight.

If you are going to tow with the SWR, I would suggest air bags and heavier springs as well. Good luck!

We love our Goliath and will be taking him to Alaska in less than a month.
TheMusikShoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #3

We had a 2015 F350 SRW pulling our Vengeance for over a year before I got the F450. My pin is probably just slightly less than yours. My average was about 3250 lbs.

I had air bags on the truck. The Michelins were rated at 3750 lbs. if I recall correctly. Anyway, the truck did extremely well for an SRW.

Probably 4000-5000 miles with the Vengeance with that truck. One of those was Disneyworld which is over 1200 miles round trip. Coming home on I-95 doing 70 mph was no problem.

Here in NC, we're not overly strict on the numbers. Yes, if HP sees my camper being pulled by an F-150 dragging the ground, he'll probably stop him. But for me (just my opinion), as long as rear axle weight loaded is under the rear GVWR, I'd do it. Heck, I'm slightly over on total truck GVWR with my F450 when I'm full of fuel. I have an auxiliary tank so I carry up to 130 gallons. The truck is slightly over 14,000 lbs. loaded down and full of fuel but I don't sweat it.

On a triple-axle, I would guess the Can-Am may drop your pin weight 200 lbs. But that's just a guess.

The CAT Scales are your best option for sure.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I plan to visit the scales tomorrow.
Our TrailAir tire/shock bounces up and down continuously, eliminates 90% of the wagging.
It's been all about tires this FL trip. 3 failed 8 replaced. Debris field I-75 got one 5th wheel tire temp and psi never changed, next morning saw steel belt exposed. Without 5th wheel I-75 truck rear blowout, week later truck front separation. Less than 10K 5th wheel and 30K on Truck. It's the age, 5 years max forevermore, Costco paperwork states Warranty Expires 5 or 6 Years Regardless of Mileage.

Question re your 39R12, Can you open the refrigerator right side door with the all slides in? Is there room to secure this 8.5 ft x 5ft trike?
Old 04-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #5

Those tires I replaced had just reached the 5 year mark.
Cat Scale Truck 9220 lb, Front Axle 5140 lb, Rear 4080 lb, (includes all & dog, aux tank 60 gal, tools, hitch). 39R12 dry pin at 3432 lb, All 4 truck tires max at 15000, Pin is allocated across front & rear truck axles.
Thanks you both offer me very good advise to follow.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #6

AnchorsAweigh,

Yes, we can open the right hand fridge door and both freezer doors with the slide
closed. Size wise the CanAm should fit fine.

We too have a TrailAir, but in extreme weather conditions and/or super winding roads (think California mountains), we still get some tail wagging the dog. The Trail/Air is meant to stop forward and backwards motion which it does.

We also had the MoreRyde independent suspension and disk brake combo axkes installed. When we did, they checked the wheel alignment before starting and found that all six wheel had several camber problems. We had one of our tires go bald after only 5k. The tech said that almost all trailers are pretty far out from the factory and that triples are the worst.

Tell you what, independent suspension/disk brakes are the best money we ever spent!

That's another thing, duallys tend to have bigger brakes than singles. I know that most people will talk about the brake controller being for that at this point, but physics is physics, your truck is still stopping a lot of mass. Just food for thought.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #7

I just realized that you said that you're visiting the scales today and are talking about the Trail Air. Did you already purchase the 39R12? I was under the impression that you were considering it?
Old 04-20-2018, 11:22 PM   #8

Scales weight listed above (just the truck). Comments re the 39R12 are what I have read, I have never been inside one.
We have 2014 37ft 5thWheel with the TrailAir.
This park 2 & 3 wheel rider group is age 60s-80s. A dealer test drive and now 1k miles in 2 months. Us old folks have a real good time. A toy hauler would be a good solution. So for now store or ship it back to VA.

Tags
weight