Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2019, 03:03 PM   #1

Best patio mat for gravel surface or build a deck?

We are getting our first seasonal site this coming year. The site under our awing will be gravel. Do you have any recommendations for a nice quality patio mat that won't allow the gravel to poke through?

Or should we save ourselves the trouble and build a deck under the awning? The only issue with building a deck is we do have a few other trips planned that we will need to be able to make it easy to pull out and get back in to our spot when we return.
Hilden31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
Site Team

It really depends on the size of the deck you want to build and whether it's a flat deck or raised up off the ground.

If you want to be able to move it, build a flat deck and do it in like 8' X 8' sections. Then when you want to move it, it shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 guys to lift each section.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #3

what we use is rather unique, so I can't tell you where to get another one other than the same "junk" store we found in Cherokee, NC, ... they sell very large and thick rubber sheets that were originally printed billboard signs, makes a great foundation to lay our mat over, ... also, Harbor freight has large tarps that might work as well, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #4

Our seasonal campground states the ground mat must allow water through so as not to damage the ground cover beneath it (so the thick rubber mats wouldn't be acceptable).

In our seasonal site, we had crushed rock under our RV mat. You could feel them with bare feet, but wasn't painful like walking directly on them. At the end of the fall we built a deck over the rock.

Some of the seasonal sites do have decks and they do pull their trailer out for weekend getaways. How they get them back in lined up perfectly isn't something I would want to try!
2006 Dodge RAM 2500 TRX4 Cummins
2011 Cedar Creek Silverback 35K
just4u_cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:19 PM   #5

I went to Home Depot and bought a piece of artificial turf. ( not indoor outdoor carpet )
The grass is about 1” long . I found a miss cut roll I’m guessing 8’ x10’ and was able to pick it up for around $80.
Works perfect.

Also bought a small leaf blower to keep in cleaned off.
I’m able to roll it up and throw it in the back of my truck whenever I relocate.
Tony4eight1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #6

Now that you posted this....I do remember one site having green grass way too early to be natural! That must be what they have. Beats having to water and cut it every week!
2006 Dodge RAM 2500 TRX4 Cummins
2011 Cedar Creek Silverback 35K
just4u_cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:26 AM   #7
MCTroy

Following this thread. We have used decks for many years at our seasonal site. In the winter, the campground floods so everything has to be removed. We are tired of loading and unloading the 5 8x5' decks. And then trying to get them level.. we are going
to a mat over the gravel next year. I will watch for other suggestions here.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:04 AM   #8

You should check out J&J Sunshades. They use top-quality materials and will make a mat to your specifications. They are a great mom and pop operation with excellent customer service and products.
3Setters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Following this thread. We have used decks for many years at our seasonal site. In the winter, the campground floods so everything has to be removed. We are tired of loading and unloading the 5 8x5' decks. And then trying to get them level.. we are going
to a mat over the gravel next year. I will watch for other suggestions here.
We've been seasonal at a couple of different campgrounds that had issues with flooding.

At one, they required all decks to have large anchors attached to them that were driven or screwed into the ground. I don't know how long they were but I'm guessing 2 or 3 feet. They seemed to do a pretty good job keeping the decks in place when the river rose up.

Maybe something like that is an option for you?
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote