Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2021, 09:41 PM   #1

Canada rv travel and satellites

Hello folks
We are looking at 4 month Canada travel with our fifth wheel in 2022. Presently live in B.C. we are considering a satellite system to watch tv and are already pre wired in our cedar creek silverback. Do you folks recommend a mounted system on our roof or a satellite dish system that is set up on the ground? We are with Telus at home. Not really interested in Bell products.

Where do we start? How do we only set an account up for 4-5 months versus paying for a whole year? With Covid we have no US travel plans for 2022. Thank you for your tips and thoughts
SMBellcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:07 PM   #2
WFD

While I can't comment on Telus plans, didn't know Telus offered satellite service. We are with Shaw Direct for satellite in our 5th wheel. They allow you to go on seasonal break for up to 6 mths, at no charge. We have been with them for quite a few years, but with each passing year we ask ourselves if it's worth it. Every time we come off seasonal break, the price has gone up while we were off. We have a very limited package, more so for news, and some sports, and it's getting ridiculous what we pay for what we get.
With regards to on the ground dish vs on your rig... a couple times we have run into people camped next to us with a fixed mounted system and they have expressed frustration on not being able to get a signal because trees just happen to be right in the way. With my on the ground system I can move around to try to get clear of signal obstructions. Depending where you are, there are many times I just simply cannot get a signal, usually due to trees. In your case in BC you will have mountains and valleys to contend with as well. This summer was particularly bad, majority of places we camped, I just gave up trying to get a signal, and I am usually pretty successful at getting a signal.
With your plan to travel in Canada, if you go the satellite route, you will need to know your dish settings for different cities as you will have to adjust as you go from west to east. The angle of your dish and it's skew will change somewhat as you travel, not large amounts but enough to affect your ability to get a signal. Depends how far you plan to travel.

Tags
canada, lite, satellite, travel