Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2018, 10:10 AM   #1

Hanging stuff on walls of seasonal trailer

So I have a painting I am bringing north for the summer that I want to hang in the living area of our Catalina rear living TT. The wall I want to put it on is one that is covered by the slide when it is in. The slide will be out for about 4.5 months - June to mid-October. Is there a problem with hanging stuff on that particular wall? I was thinking of the velcro picture hanging setup so I can take the painting down at the end of the year and just leave a piece of velcro on that wall for the winter when the slide is in. If this is a real problem we plan to put a shelf in front of that wall for office supplies and I could just prop the painting on top of the shelf but that is less secure than attaching it to the wall. Is there enough clearance to hang stuff on those walls and how do you secure them?
kmlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #2

as long as you have room for the slide to pass, there should be no problem leaving it there. I use small picture hangers. Brass with small nail provided with the hanger. The nail is at a 45-degree angle. Just be sure to look before you move the slide out to be sure it's not on the floor. There is no reason for it not to be ok. but......
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

All depends on how tight your slide is to that wall. I've used the command strip velcro to attach a wall clock in our trailer, so I know they're fairly slim. Your slide would have to be rubbing on the wall for it to really matter.

What I have noticed about the command strips though, is that they don't stick to the wallpaper like surfaces in the trailer. Cabinets are no problem, but whenever I tried to stick a command strip right to a wall with that wallpaper stuff on it, it would eventually fall off. Just something to keep an eye on.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick responses! this is a new trailer and our PDI is not until June so I will add a question to the checklist about this. Sounds like a small hanger iis better as this is not a small painting. it is about 2' by 2' and fairly heavy.
kmlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:37 PM   #5

Use the command brand hooks. Easily removed and no holes. Purchase at most any hardware store.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Command hooks won't stick to my wallpaper, either.

The Command tape actually damages the wallpaper!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #7

I have used the command strips, but to get them to stick to the wall and hold you need to clean off both surfaces with rubbing alcohol. This cleans the surface and they hold well.
Sharpshooterspb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:15 PM   #8

I have never had any luck getting the command strips to attach to the wallpaper. I put up a very narrow shelf (narrow enough that the slide doesn't touch it) and our picture gets set on that with museum putty to make sure it stays in place. be sure to take the picture down before bringing in the slide. I forgot one time and it mangled the picture frame and I had to fish the picture and pieces of frame out. I was able to rebuild the frame so no real damage but not an exercise I wish to repeat.
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer