Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
Site Team

How much for seasonal site?

I know the answers will vary depending on the amenities of the park as well as the geographical location but I'm still curious.

We are currently in Northern Illinois and pay $2000/year for our base cost plus a monthly electric bill. We've found that's about average for the different CGs around us. Some are a little more, some are a little less.

My parents were seasonal at a different CG (they are moving to our CG now) and they just released their rates for the upcoming year. It's $3300 for returning seasonals and $3900 for new.

We heard through the grapevine that there was a mass exodus over the weekend. We took a drive around and saw 11 trailers with for sale signs on them. My parents are leaving and we know of at least 2 other couples that are leaving as well.

Maybe it's just me, but when you raise your seasonal rates so high that 16 new sites open up overnight, you might just be a bit over-priced.

That being said, I'm curious what other FRF members are paying for seasonal sites.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
Site Team

While not seasonal ourselves, I had priced several during our early years (see here for why):

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...age-40882.html

I still periodically check the rates for seasonals. Around here, they run about 2500-3200 on this side of the border. My parents place in Michigan just had theirs put up to 850. Apparently a bunch of the residents there are up in arms over it, and want to pull out, but having priced around, they'll be looking at at least double anywhere else.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #3

We were seasonal for 10 years in central Wisconsin. When we started in 2008 the fee was $1600 plus metered electric. Sites had a 300 gal septic tank that was pumped twice a month as part of the fee and they cut your grass while you were gone. Nice quiet campground with great sites, heated pool, etc. Every year the price would go up by $50 which wasn't bad considering what other places in the area were charging. The last 2 years they opened 10 overnight sites to seasonal sites and they filled up very quickly. When we were looking there was one campground that charged $3200, we thought that was way too high back in 2008. They have continued to raise their prices too and have a waiting list.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:43 AM   #4

$5250.00 here in sunny Florida for the yearly full time rate. Every year they raise the rate by at least $20.00 a month.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #5

Eastern Nebraska (Around Blair Nebraska), they go from $2500 to $3300 for beginning of April to end of October, we do get to keep out camper on site which save the storage fee's we were paying.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:33 PM   #6

Ours is $3,100 in southern MN going from end of April to the first weekend of October. It's a little on the high end for the area (other places are about $2,500 to $2,800) however the campground is well staffed with activities every weekend and always clean and pristine.

It's a metered site so we have to pay the electric bill for it at the end of the season and we are responsible for our own lawn care (for the 10 minutes that takes most weekends).
eye-five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #7

Seasonal Sites

Come down to the Jersey shore. A six month summer site can go for $6500.
bbbymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #8
Dahagen

We have wintered in Arizona, Texas, and Florida. Those states have the highest seasonal rates. In Mesa/Apache Junction a seasonal site from a major resort corporation can be as high at $9000. Florida and Texas coastal sites are higher, interior lower. The more the amenities, the more the cost.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #9

we are on a seasonal spot. concrete pad, power, water, sewer.
this season it was 530$.
no I didn't make a mistake and forget a 0 on the end.

and that is Canadian dollars

we are responsible to mow our lot (gas and mower is provided as is a week whacker) and when we need to assist with the campsite repairs. 60+ spaces.

a couple years ago we paid $650 but that extra in the operating budget when to purchase all new lawn mowers for us to use.

lots of space between trailers and plenty of depth

club house. 4 showers 4 bathrooms, washer and dryer facilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seasonal.JPG
Views:	537
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	186752  
Old 09-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #10

The rates will go as high as stupid people pay for it.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
we are on a seasonal spot. concrete pad, power, water, sewer.
this season it was 530$.
no I didn't make a mistake and forget a 0 on the end.

and that is Canadian dollars

we are responsible to mow our lot (gas and mower is provided as is a week whacker) and when we need to assist with the campsite repairs. 60+ spaces.

a couple years ago we paid $650 but that extra in the operating budget when to purchase all new lawn mowers for us to use.

lots of space between trailers and plenty of depth

club house. 4 showers 4 bathrooms, washer and dryer facilities.

Sounds very good- but where is it located? I would assume fairly far from the more populated areas.

We have a seasonal site near Goderich, Ont., and our base rate is just over $2000 including winter storage, but hydro is extra. Other services (golf cart storage, winterization, etc. are available for a fee.)
This is the most economical of any in this area and also one of the best run, with many amenities. The park is full and there is a waiting list 3 pages long for seasonal sites.
When we started, in 2003,the rate was $1600.00.

Cheers
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #12

Yes jtesta, it is expensive. A week at the Jersey shore in a house is $3000. Our CG has 3 pools, a swimming lake and a fishing lake. Almost 700 campsites with activities for young and old. Cable TV and Wifi. It is also close enough to everything so I don't have to drive 1/2 hour to buy beer. You get what you pay for. This is a friendly and informative forum. Kindly save your "stupid" comments for Facebook.
bbbymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #13
...far N Georgia!

I would suggest that the park finally realized that it was underpriced, and adjusted accordingly - I also imagine it will be full again pretty soon, and the folks paying for the sites will think it's a good deal.

We have several local 'city/county' based campgrounds in the area, all right on the LAKE - prime property...and yet they only charge $1,500 for seasonal sites, paid in full, and include all electrical(30amp) and water. This also allows you to 'store' your RV there the whole winter, nice.
The also rent out a relatively few sites for nightly rates, but even it's only $18...a steal! I wonder how they even keep up the facilities and maintain the property for that, much less pay for camp hosts, maintenance workers, and infrastructure costs.
It's a 'pick your vacant site' deal for nightly stays, then someone eventually 'comes to you' to anti up $. A nice way to do it, as no reservations are required. Most private rv parks that had these type of water-side sites would be charging a much greater amount, for sure.
I wonder, though, if the city/county really tries very hard to worry about paying for these campgrounds, as they have no advertising, no specific person in charge, or anyone to 'contact', and they are not anywhere near where you'd just 'happen by' to know they were there. But, maybe that's the plan.
The could easily charge twice as much. No, the current renters wouldn't be happy, but the new ones probably would.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #14
Just as confused as you

We paid $2275 for the 2018 season. We have water and metered electric on our site and they charged us a $100 one time fee for a holding tank that they pump out once a week. The rate increased by $50 a year since 2006. We pay our electric every 2 months.

Now that being said, ours just went up $250 for the 2019 season. The only thing changed for our site is we are within the 600 ft range of the WiFi, we still have the holding tank.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Everyone gets confused at some time, some are better at hiding it than others.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #15

lake George NB
25 minutes from my office downtown and 20 minutes from home Fredericton NB.

a couple minutes walk from our Toy hauler to the lake where we have a section of beach and boat dock.

an extra 35$ for WIFI which is on the pole across from us ~ 40 feet.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by amblt View Post
Sounds very good- but where is it located? I would assume fairly far from the more populated areas.
The park is full and there is a waiting list 3 pages long for seasonal sites.

Cheers
we were 17th on the wait list and it took 2 year s for us to get in. we were able to take the trailer there for weekends or days at 15$ a night.
that is now 20$ a night.

once people declined the spot they were offered off the wait list they went to the bottom of the list and can only be refusing 2 times and then they are gone.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #17

Many of the campground are becoming corporate owned, setting up a quasi monopoly. The folks that own park models are at the mercy of the new owners. When the rates go up, people want to sell. But buyers see these parks as a bad investment and the owners take a hit if they can sell at all.

But then the private campground owners take note and price a little under the corporate owned. Camping is becoming a luxury.

We looked at that option in Florida and decided to go with mobile home style living. Our park is resident owned and monthly fees are $175/mo to include lawn maintenance, city water, a city sewer. There is also a complete work shop with free tool use. The only other fee is electric and insurance. That gives us use of the recreation hall, heated pool, and the game courts. If they raise or real estate taxes this year, it will be up to $285/yr. Considering a park model is half the size and the annual fees are $6200/yr (and rising) plus electric, it's a bargain. And, we don't have the headaches of owning a camper. The people that bought our motor home last year have decided to go the same route.

We also have a place in SW Wisconsin and some decent camp grounds in the area. How far out of dodge did you want to get? We were originally from northern IL.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #18

Where I stay in AZ is $440. a month +electric since I sign up for 5 months. Last year it was $420. per month. I'm 2 miles from a town with most everything you could need including a hospital or 40 miles from a major area with WalMart, Lowes, big name restaurants and very expensive RV 'Resorts'.

If I wanted to pay for a full year/seasonal/pay before I leave in the Spring I suppose I could get a better rate but I just made my reservation about a month ago...never sure where I might be headed.

I don't need or want a pool or most of the amenities of the bigger parks. I full time in my RV, so travel from Spring to Fall sometimes spending a month here or there. Most I've ever paid for a month was $580. but that included electric.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I would suggest that the park finally realized that it was underpriced, and adjusted accordingly - I also imagine it will be full again pretty soon, and the folks paying for the sites will think it's a good deal.
Just a couple of years ago it was family owned and priced competitively with the other CGs in the area. Then it was bought by a large corporation that owns a number of trailer parks around the country.

When the family owned it, it was a "family campground". Now that the corporation owns it, it's an "RV resort".

My wife and I as well as a few other people we know saw the writing on the wall and got out last year.

It should be interesting to see what happens in the next few years but I've never seen an mass exodus like the one I'm seeing now.

Our theory is that they've had a ton of flooding this past year and lost a lot of money from weekenders simply because half the CG was underwater for weeks at a time. So they are trying to make up for it by sticking it to the seasonals who they gave all of a 3 week warning about the $600 price increase.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:35 PM   #20

South-east of Gold Canyon AZ here...
$4400 year which includes water, sewer, trash. Electric is metered and considered by most to be fair.
Lots are gravel - about 35í wide and 50í deep. Annuals are allowed to build or buy an approved shed for storage.
Easy access to the desert. A lot of side-by-sides and Jeeps in this park.
Nice clubhouse, library, sewing rooms, gym, billiards, pool, hot tub, pickle ball, shuffle-board and horse shoe pits.
We have off-road RC Race Track and dirt runway RC Plane areas...
Also a fairly well equipped work shop where you can exercise your skills with tools.
Rent seems to be going up a couple hundred per year, which is disappointing, but understandable..
Pics of my Cottage and Shed I designed and built with the help of my buddies..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F865BB88-8D35-4C08-9620-D75CB4648D68.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	186794   Click image for larger version

Name:	B4F5D8F1-3358-4B52-8BFE-67D28E0FF5F5.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	186795  
Thor Vegas 25.5
Randyís Rod Shop & Fabrication