Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2021, 12:34 PM   #1

Looking for opinions.

I bought a 2021 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere camper from a dealer that is about an hour from my seasonal site last November. I found out the pump check valve is defective after we opened the camper for the season. It worked for two weekends then started bypassing into the storage tank.

Before I bought the camper I explained the situation with it going to a permanent site to them. They told me that if it was a simple part replacement I could switch parts out and deliver the defective parts to them. No problem. I called about the pump and was told I would have to pay $89 plus mileage to diagnose the problem, and then $89 plus mileage to replace the pump. I mentioned my conversation before purchasing and was told they would check into it.

When the dealer called me back they told me there is nothing they can do. They said Forrest River will not authorize me to swap the pump out. Am I wrong in expecting the pump to be replaced at no cost to me if I swap it? The camper was almost 40K when I bought it. Just wanting opinions is all.

I figured I could save a lot of money by purchasing the pump myself, which I did. It was $58.50 on Amazon.

Thanks
Jim
jimbolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #2

I can tell you I am having the exact same issue with my Salem Cruise Lite. It started last Fall while it was still under warranty. I took it back to the dealer at the end of the season. They replaced the whole pump at no charge. Now it's still doing it. I can't figure out what's going on.
FrankH35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:25 PM   #3

In my opinion, if you own an RV, you fix everything you can on your own. Even under warranty. You will do a better job and it will get completed much faster. Amazon is your friend for parts. Leave the complex items for the dealer.

Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:37 PM   #4

I have a 2019 Cedar Creek. And I fixed numerous small things that my dealer supplied the parts for under warranty because I as well is at a seasonal site. And on a couple of fixes they showed me how to fix it.I might be wrong on this but it looks like your dealer is taking you for a ride !. I would phone FR direct
jmcclocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcclocklin View Post
I might be wrong on this but it looks
like your dealer is taking you for a ride !. I would phone FR direct
x2. That pump should be covered by the pump manufacturer warranty and usually a mobile mechanic can do the work.
Have you tried resetting the check valve by
1) Turn off city water at the source;
2) Turn on your water pump and open-and-close various faucets in your camper allowing the water pump to cycle on and off;
3) Turn off water pump, open a faucet and relieve water pressure;
4) Turn city water back on.
Might not work, but it couldn't hurt to try.
The other suggestion would be to replace the check valve that's usually located under the kitchen sink.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:11 AM   #6
Don't Camp Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonal View Post
In my opinion, if you own an RV, you fix everything you can on your own. Even under warranty. You will do a better job and it will get completed much faster. Amazon is your friend for parts. Leave the complex items for the dealer.
X2

DSMURPHY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:58 AM   #7

Try to find a mobile RV Tech in your area. Talk to the other seasonal campers and check with the office to see if they can recommend one.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'll agree your dealer is not treating you with any kind of courtesy after you dropped $40k in their lap. And while you thought you might have an 'arrangement' with them because it is on a seasonal site, that was likely smoke from some salesman's mouth to get the sale.

R/V dealers and the franchise to sell R/Vs is NOTHING like anything else and especially not like automotive dealers which everyone wants to compare them to. Unless you have found a really good dealer (many Mom & Pop places are) do all the work yourself that you can. Utilize mobile technicians and deal directly with the factory.

Keep mental notes and then you'll have done your homework on who the next dealer/manufacturer is that gets your $$.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=94
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:43 PM   #9

I had planned on doing the little stuff like this myself from the beginning. I was just wanting the defective parts replaced.

As far as resetting the check valve, I did try that.

Decided to take it apart and found a small pink diaphragm being pushed backwards through where it should be seating. I had already ordered a replacement pump so I will switch them out and repair the original to have a spare.

My biggest complaint was being told they would help me out after spending north of 40k with them and then finding out I cannot get a defective $60 pump replaced.

I was in the mower repair business for decades and would never dream of things like this. Hell for no more than it costs I would have just gave the pump to the customer.

Anyways thanks for the opinions everyone.

Jim
jimbolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:41 PM   #10

Just a note on mobile technicians. Not all are created equal. Two dopes in a van, show up to a neighbors site to fix a warranty item. No tools in the van and certainly no inventory of parts. These idiots were not qualified to work the window at McDonald's. Research first.

Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:48 PM   #11

Our mobile repair guys here in central Texas are amazing. He shows up in an old ambulance stocked full of parts and tools.