Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Monthly for two months this summer - stop me now

So I'm considering making the monthly plunge. Will use the site a few full or mostly full weeks and also every weekend for the next few months starting right after July 4th. The owners said it was fine to leave the camper there on site but they will need to move me to a new spot every two weeks.

The campground is about 4 hrs away at the beach. Site cost (includes sewer, water, cable) plus i'm on my own for electric. The big benefit is that I'm not hauling my TT back and forth. I would probably be close to saving in gas money what I'm spending on the campsite.

Stop me if I'm making a mistake. Going out this weekend to give it a look.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #2

We love our seasonal spot
No more towing in weekend traffic
Handy - just open the door and relax
You will find time to use it more
You can go alone if DH/DW cannot for some reason
Nice to personalize it and call it home
heavynlori is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
CLT

That's great to hear heavynlori. Goes along similar lines of what I was thinking. Plus it would give the kids a chance to make some campground friends that might be back next year. Do they normally have to keep your keys in case of emergency? What about your battery? Do you just charge it up while you are there and use a disconnect while you're away?
Old 06-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #4

no they do not have keys but we camp with great friends and we each have keys to other campers - we share a storage shed and do own mowing - we are responsible for electric - free water - and honey wagon for a fee weekly as needed - we do not disconnect battery
Old 06-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
CLT

All this is good to know.

This place has 80% long-term spots so I'm either going to be encroaching on some other people's fun or I'm gonna be welcomed with open arms as one big family. We'll see...
Old 06-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #6

We have been at same spot for 11 summers - have watched alot come and go and got to see the owners kids go from toddlers to driving 😉. Always a great time !
Old 06-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
All this is good to know.

This place has 80% long-term spots so I'm either going to be encroaching on some other people's fun or I'm gonna be welcomed with open arms as one big family. We'll see...

You will soon learn who is who and who is not 👍. Always have your "groups" no matter where you go....
Old 06-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #8

And this, CLT, is how we became seasonal campers 3 years ago. We started leaving the camper for the week, then the month, and loved it so much that we moved into a seasonal site. So much nicer throwing a duffel bag into the truck and arriving to the TT setup and ready to go. A push of a button to open the awning, a cold one fresh from the fridge, and the relaxation begins.

'12 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost with MaxTow
'12 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRKSS

BradinOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #9

I'd go for sure to check it out.
The cost, time, wear and tear and ..... and "stress" of towing would be gone.
We were at the coast a few weeks ago and talked about how nice it would be to have a place there.

"We started leaving the camper for the week, then the month, and loved it so much that we moved into a seasonal site. So much nicer throwing a duffel bag into the truck and arriving to the TT setup and ready to go. "
Yeah, that. That would be cool.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #10
Always Learning

Sounds awful to go to the same place all the time to me. We towed almost 5,000 miles the first year, almost 3,000 the next year and are up to 700 or so this year. We like seeing new places and are more travelers than campers.

My sister's view is that being transient is awful to her. The years that she couldn't afford being seasonal, she stores her camper at the campground and takes it to the same spot for 2 weeks at a time (seasonal with a little hassle).

Different strokes for different folks! You're only doing it this season, not signing a lifelong contract- go for it! If you love it, you're set. If you hate it, you'll only hate it for a short time.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #11

When we bought our first fiver we did the travel/weekend trips thing for years - even to see the big Mouse - the place we are now seasonal is one of the first weekend trips we took way back when and said then that this is where we would want to be if seasonal - it took seven years to figure it out but it is the way for us !!!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
So I'm considering making the monthly plunge. Will use the site a few full or mostly full weeks and also every weekend for the next few months starting right after July 4th. The owners said it was fine to leave the camper there on site but they will need to move me to a new spot every two weeks.

The campground is about 4 hrs away at the beach. Site cost (includes sewer, water, cable) plus i'm on my own for electric. The big benefit is that I'm not hauling my TT back and forth. I would probably be close to saving in gas money what I'm spending on the campsite.

Stop me if I'm making a mistake. Going out this weekend to give it a look.
Boy, had me worried I was going to be "On Call" all season. What a relief!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #13
CLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Boy, had me worried I was going to be "On Call" all season. What a relief!
Hey now, I didn't commit to anything yet.

Although I would like you to take a look at my TT at some point before my one year warranty is up, probably next year. Could really use your expertise. If I seem like an alright guy between now and then, maybe we can work out a dinner at a steakhouse of your choice in exchange for it.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #14
Minnesotan

This will be my first year of owning an RV. I reserved a seasonal site for financial reasons. It will allow me to buy the RV this year and then before next year I'll buy the truck. I added up the number of nights I thought I would use the site and divided out the seasonal rate to make sure I would get my monies worth. Since I have a Honda Civic the cost to get to the campsite (2 hrs away) and back $30. I did visit the campground before signing on the dotted line. In addition to visiting 2 other campgrounds.

Plus as an added bonus my Dad and his wife are the campground hosts and my sister and her husband have a seasonal site all at the same campground. This is the first time trying a seasonal sites for all of us. That said I think I have too much wanderlust and want to take my RV on the road next year.....OBX, Destin, AL, maybe to Disney.

So visit the campground see what you think.
kaschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:46 AM   #15

We have has a seasonal site for almost 15 years now. The last 4 as full timers. We still put over 5000 miles per year on our trailer. We now have 2 sites one in Ontario and the 2nd is our winter site on the west coast. Just because you are on a seasonal site does not mean you can not travel. When we had our larger trailer and as small TV we invested in a second small trailer for going on trips. We considered our seasonal a "cottage".
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #16

Having a seasonal site certainly does not mean one cannot travel. Although our camper is parked, others in our park take their trailers on trips.

Best part of a seasonal site is when you get home. Toss the laundry in the washer and the rest of the day is yours. It works the other way too. When you arrive at your site, you are camping in five or ten minutes. No towing the camper, leveling, selecting a site, etc. Great for weekends.

Seasonal is not for everyone but it works great for us.

bruce...

Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #17

Traveled/camped coast to coast in the USA and Canada for many years before deciding to go seasonal. Doesn't mean we can't haul it out if we want. I agree about the ease of arriving, unlock the door, stock fridge, deploy awning, open cold beverage, and relax!
Old 06-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #18
CLT

The place I'm considering just about has a Good Sam perfect score...so I'm pretty sure it will work out. The thing I'm most concerned about is them saying that I have to move every two weeks. I'm wondering if this is standard or only because I am going for two months. Also since I'm responsible for my own electric, how would this work?
Old 06-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
We have has a seasonal site for almost 15 years now. The last 4 as full timers.
We are only weekend seasonal. Did you notice any difference in your experience when you went full time?

Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Also since I'm responsible for my own electric, how would this work?
They probably read the pedestal meter at the beginning and end of your stay and charge you for what you use.