Old 09-10-2020, 10:25 AM   #21

I was thinking more along the lines of how a car is stored by putting jacks under the axles and removing the wheels to prevent flat spots and weather damage.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #22
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of how a car is stored by putting jacks under the axles and removing the wheels to prevent flat spots and weather damage.
But you don't walk around or live in a car in storage.

I had some old railroad car jacks (got at an auction for $5) and put them under the frame to help stabilize the unit.

I think if you want to remove the wheels, then put up a proper foundation to hold the unit stable.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
But you don't walk around or live in a car in storage.

I had some old railroad car jacks (got at an auction for $5) and put them under the frame to help stabilize the unit.

I think if you want to remove the wheels, then put up a proper foundation to hold the unit stable.
That was along the lines I was thinking. If doing a permanent park, make it as solid as possible, but still have the option to move it later. Usually if tires are stored inside out of the weather on a shelf in a shed, they will still be fine 10 years later. It's the elements that kill the rubber.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:13 PM   #24

Quote:
That was along the lines I was thinking. If doing a permanent park, make it as solid as possible, but still have the option to move it later. Usually if tires are stored inside out of the weather on a shelf in a shed, they will still be fine 10 years later. It's the elements that kill the rubber.
I've seen that done at least one time at a Seasonal CG not far from us. Believe they had 8 pillars of concrete blocks....4 down each side, tires removed and had something covering the exposed hubs.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #25

We have our RV insured with a large national company. The agent said we are covered if we place the RV on a site like we would when we are at a campground, HOWEVER, if it is "permanent" it is not covered and needs to be insured differently...and at a higher cost. As an example of permanent, the agent mentioned placing the RV up on blocks like a mobile home.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:28 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyFB38 View Post
We have our RV insured with a large national company. The agent said we are covered if we place the RV on a site like we would when we are at a campground, HOWEVER, if it is "permanent" it is not covered and needs to be insured differently...and at a higher cost. As an example of permanent, the agent mentioned placing the RV up on blocks like a mobile home.
I was just about to mention this. We had to tell our insurance that our trailer still had it's tires on it or else it would've been a higher cost.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #27
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I've seen that done at least one time at a Seasonal CG not far from us. Believe they had 8 pillars of concrete blocks....4 down each side, tires removed and had something covering the exposed hubs.
I have 8 pillars under my 32 foot TT on a seasonal site, but my wheels and tires are still on. It's been that way for 7 years. My previous 27 foot TT was set up the same way for 8 years.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:39 PM   #28
Just as confused as you

Quote:
That's what we had to do with our camper which is permanently on a seasonal site. The insurance company treats it as a summer cabin. Coverage is not as expensive as a house but more than a camper.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:59 PM   #29

Seasonal

We have been seasonal since 2012.our site was 2 hours away and we were there as much as possible. My hubby retired in 2018 and I still ha e to work. So moved up to campground about 6 miles away from home. It has woods surrounding it so like being up north. There is only 24 permanent sites and we All get along awesome! We have not missed a weekend since we moved up here. Our grandkids and kids actually come and visit. It was so much driving at the other one. We just moved into a 42 foot 5th wheel and LOVE IT! The only thing bad is we live in Minnesota and have to pack up for winter. Hubby is 67 and I am almost 61. Enjoy
RTRT94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:00 PM   #30
Tamarack Travels

A friend of mine learned an expensive lesson. Do not leave the slideouts OUT if you are staying months at a time in the 5th wheeler. It is not designed for that. She went south for the winter (bringing in the slide) and came back to mold and soggy floor in the slide out. She could not get it to go out. Had to replace the floor and the slides themselves.
T508537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:04 PM   #31

Seasonal

We have been seasonal for 22 years. I would make sure there are no open holes or places where rodents can get in.
Arc of the Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Wife and I were tossing this idea around a bit. What about the tires? Would it be a bad idea to remove them and store them out of the weather?
Doesn't matter. When they get to 5-6 years old they are done whether they are on the trailer or off.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:29 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by T508537 View Post
A friend of mine learned an expensive lesson. Do not leave the slideouts OUT if you are staying months at a time in the 5th wheeler. It is not designed for that. She went south for the winter (bringing in the slide) and came back to mold and soggy floor in the slide out. She could not get it to go out. Had to replace the floor and the slides themselves.
My slides go out in April and don't come in until the middle of October. Never had a problem with mold or the floors of the slide out.

Your friend must've had a leak somewhere.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:03 AM   #34

Quote:
Had not considered this, and now that I think about it, that was actually a question the finance company asked, will it be permanent or travelling. I guess it affects the rates for financing as well.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:28 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by T508537 View Post
Some members at our resort, never bring their slide-outs in. Even over winter. I don't know of any member that retracts them after each visit.

Each spring, I know that members with slides have to check the top of each slide to ensure the rubber flap was correctly deployed. Leaks can happen if the flap is rolled under the slide.

Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #36

I have been keeping my slides out at home. I have topper awnings installed to keep the roof clean and dry and they work quite well. Just have to pull the slides in after heavy rain to keep the awnings from stretching. If living in an area that gets snow, leaving them out is a bad idea. Ice can form at the seal and work it's way under the seal and into the interior and cause water damage. It can happen even with an awning in place since snow blows up under it. So keep that in mind if in a snow belt zone.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:59 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Actually, the first thing is get yourself some cinder blocks and after your trailer is set and leveled, stack them up under the frame in front of and behind the tires and then on each corner. They help tremendously with stabilizing.

Attachment 238149

And yes, the merits of which way the holes should be facing have been discussed multiple times. Yes they are stronger when the holes are facing up, but they aren't holding that much weight and have a tendency to eventually sink into the ground. So I put mine in with the holes facing out.
I put 2X12x24 inch treated wood on the ground to keep blocks from sinking in. No matter how much or not much weight these blocks support, it's not wise to put them with holes to the side. I've seen them break with very little weight on them. Then on the last block I use 2X8X16 inch treated wood and shims against the frame to keep it from getting scratched and rust.
kraut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er, parking