Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #1

Cool Parking our 5er permanently

So after much debate, we decided to park our 5th wheel on a permanent site. Looking for advice on set up, tips, tricks and any knowledge you are willing to impart! Thanks in advance
Old 09-01-2020, 09:53 AM   #2
Site Team

I moved this thread to the seasonal sub-forum. Should be lots of good tips and help in here.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:43 AM   #3

My comment is, why is it being parked. Many trailers in our seasonal campground that are parked are never visited again. Owners have accepted the idea of not camping but have not accepted that they should just sell the trailer. Just think some about this before parking it.

Assuming that you will be using your trailer, a small shed is the first item that seems to appear for new members. Plastic sheds never last long. Second is a deck of some kind.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Actually, the first thing is get yourself some cinder blocks and after your trailer is set and leveled, stack them up under the frame in front of and behind the tires and then on each corner. They help tremendously with stabilizing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blocks.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	609.3 KB
ID:	238149

And yes, the merits of which way the holes should be facing have been discussed multiple times. Yes they are stronger when the holes are facing up, but they aren't holding that much weight and have a tendency to eventually sink into the ground. So I put mine in with the holes facing out.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonal View Post
My comment is, why is it being parked. Many trailers in our seasonal campground that are parked are never visited again. Owners have accepted the idea of not camping but have not accepted that they should just sell the trailer. Just think some about this before parking it.

Assuming that you will be using your trailer, a small shed is the first item that seems to appear for new members. Plastic sheds never last long. Second is a deck of some kind.
Not quite sure what you're trying to say. I have two co-workers with seasonal sites. One is on their 15th year and the other just put their 2 camper on a site they've had for 17 years. I'd say they are there pretty much every, to every other weekend during the summer. One gentleman and his wife will spend 2-3 weeks at their site and he drives back and forth to work.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:40 PM   #6

See if other seasonal campers have a 100 lb propane tank and find out who comes to the campground to fill it. We found it much cheaper than filling our two 30 lb tanks during the season. There was a local LP company that rented us the tank for $1 a year. They 'plumbed it' in so we could use our 30 pounders if needed. I second the shed idea. Figure what size you need, then add a couple feet in length and width.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #7

If I were permanently parking a 5th wheel I'd set it up just like a regular mobile home.
Already mentioned was Propane, blocking, shed, and deck.

I'd also add some tie downs to keep it from moving in a strong wind. Some auger type screw in anchors with chain and turnbuckles to secure frame to ground. Also add skirting for both appearance and insulation.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:33 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Not quite sure what you're trying to say. I have two co-workers with seasonal sites. One is on their 15th year and the other just put their 2 camper on a site they've had for 17 years. I'd say they are there pretty much every, to every other weekend during the summer. One gentleman and his wife will spend 2-3 weeks at their site and he drives back and forth to work.
I knew some people that basically used their seasonal site as a storage facility. They would visit maybe 2 or 3 times a year. It was cheaper to keep it at a CG and pay the seasonal fees than it was to store it where they lived.

They eventually did end up selling their trailer.

At our current CG there are two sites directly in front of us who I haven't seen all year long. It may be in part because of Covid concerns and the fact there isn't really much because all our activities were cancelled, but they haven't even come out to mow their grass.

Crazy to spend the money for it and never use it.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:01 PM   #9

We were not using it as much as we thought since we preferred to go 4 days a t a time (Fri- Mon.) and getting off of work over the summer every weekend has proven challenging. We think if we park it permanently at our favorite place we then will be able to go there every weekend rather than just once a month travelling. Thanks for the other advice, we are working on schematics for a deck now
Old 09-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christiben View Post
We were not using it as much as we thought since we preferred to go 4 days a t a time (Fri- Mon.) and getting off of work over the summer every weekend has proven challenging. We think if we park it permanently at our favorite place we then will be able to go there every weekend rather than just once a month travelling. Thanks for the other advice, we are working on schematics for a deck now
Sounds like a perfect reason for a Seasonal site. We love ours.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:00 PM   #11

We have been on a seasonal site for about 16 years now. We are on a 9 hole golf Course and 5 - 10 minutes from a lake / provincial park. While I was still working, we could leave home Friday after work and be cracking a beer an hour & half later. Now retired, we typically go up Thursday and come home Monday. I sit on my deck, crack another beer and watch everybody leave on Sunday! 95% of the occupants are up every weekend during the summer. We have some very nice social distancing visits!
Priorities are, I think: deck, stairs, shed, fridge (in shed), gazebo. I didn’t lay concrete blocks down (wish I had); but You can add supplemental jacks near the tires.

Beats the heck out of hooking onto my 38’ Columbus and hauling it someplace every weekend! (And that’s what the 26 foot Corsair is for - travelling)
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:52 AM   #12

We lived in our previous camper for about 5 months while our house was being built. I cut some 4" sewer pipe inhalf lengthwise adnscrewed them to a board so I could use them to support the flex hose for the sewer connection of our camper.

At the end of those 5 months of constant exposure to the sun, that RV flex sewer hose was rotten. It never leaked while we were using it but it would have soon had we left it on there much longer.

My suggestion is to use regular sewer pipe and connect it to the drain at the site or use the pipe to completely enclose the flexible RV sewer hose.

You DO NOT want to try to drain your black tank only to have it run out all over the ground because that drain hose is rotten.

It will take more time but set it up right so it will be maintenance free
Old 09-02-2020, 06:13 AM   #13
Just as confused as you

One thing not mentioned is if you have a full hook-up site, electric, water and sewer, treat your black tank the same as when you need to use a dump station. You would be surprised how many people think since they have sewer connection it's ok to leave the black tank valve open.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:13 AM   #14

Stack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Actually, the first thing is get yourself some cinder blocks and after your trailer is set and leveled, stack them up under the frame in front of and behind the tires and then on each corner. They help tremendously with stabilizing.

Attachment 238149

And yes, the merits of which way the holes should be facing have been discussed multiple times. Yes they are stronger when the holes are facing up, but they aren't holding that much weight and have a tendency to eventually sink into the ground. So I put mine in with the holes facing out.
Start the stack with a 16x16x2” solid block. Sinking solved.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
One thing not mentioned is if you have a full hook-up site, electric, water and sewer, treat your black tank the same as when you need to use a dump station. You would be surprised how many people think since they have sewer connection it's ok to leave the black tank valve open.
X2 with this,

I neglected to mention it. You DO NOT want a brown pyramid in your black tank!
Old 09-04-2020, 06:16 AM   #16

Our cousin has a permanent 5th wheel at Vallecito Lake in CO. Make sure your trailer will hold up to the snow load. His first trailer's roof caved in. He has a propane tank large enough to only fill it every few years. He also has a concrete slab for his trailer to sit on.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:33 AM   #17

Some of the seasonal trailers in our park, only empty their tanks when full. Seems like something you would want to empty and flush at the conclusion of each visit. Some also use a stinky slinky in place of a hard pipe.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:52 AM   #18

Wife and I were tossing this idea around a bit. What about the tires? Would it be a bad idea to remove them and store them out of the weather?
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
Wife and I were tossing this idea around a bit. What about the tires? Would it be a bad idea to remove them and store them out of the weather?
They hold most of the weight of the trailer. Why would you want to take them off?

I'm not sure I've ever seen a seasonal trailer with it's tires removed.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:52 AM   #20
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

ALWAYS!!!! park on 2x10 or 2x12 ground contact pressure treated boards.
Don't take off the tires, they are what hold you up. use tire covers to keep the UV to a minimal.
And yes, keep the valves closed to the black tank and empty and flush as you would if boondocking. I ended up using 3" PVC instead of the typical sewer hoses as they held up better over time and I could adjust the angle of the pipe better being solid.

RubberMaid / Suncast storage sheds and deck boxes are great for storage. We had a small apartment refrigerator in one of the storage sheds that helped with beverages, watermelon, and other items that took up too much space inside.

I used our TT as my one bedroom apartment for 5+ years while working 250 miles from home. I didn't have many problems or situations. Keeping the inside clean, and wiped down with disinfectant from time to time prevented any mold and mildew. This is really important as even in cooler climates, the inside can get steamy in the summer months.
Try to get a site with shade in the afternoon and evening. Helps keep the AC from being overworked.

Good luck and always have fun. (if you don't it's your own fault!)
;-)
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er, parking