Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
Non-owner (yet) Jr Member

Tie downs and other newbie questions.

Some background first:
I'm planning on buying a 32' trailer and hopefully finding a place in my hometown to park it for 6 months. I'm assuming I can't park anywhere for a year or longer. I live in SWFL and our population quadruples during season. I am staying put because I have a job that requires that. My goal is to be a full-timer and travel. I'll be satisfied if I can at least take 2 weeks off each year to travel.

All of that said, I have some questions so please answer what you can. 1)Anyone else living like my description? 2)How do you stop someone from stealing your trailer? 3)Is it safe to leave my two 12 lb dogs alone in the trailer while I'm at work? 4)My hope was to spend six months in one CG, a few nights in a state park, and then back to that CG for another six months. Assuming that there's a spot for me, does this seem feasible? 5)I've read about using tie downs to protect your trailer in high winds. Can they be installed and uninstalled easily? When the next hurricane comes I'm planning on just leaving.

I hope all of these questions aren't too ignorant. More than that, I hope I don't sound like a greedy person slapping down 5 questions in her first post. Thank you in advance.
Charlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
PhD, Common Sense

To stop someone from stealing your trailer, put locks on your hitch. There are several options. Nothing will guarantee it won’t be stolen, but you can motivate a thief to look for an easier target.

If you leave your dogs in your trailer for hours at a time, I hope that they are well-behaved. They could probably trash your trailer faster than a thief can get your hitch lock off.

Also, make sure they have sufficient heat or air.

Just leave if a hurricane hits. RVs are great evacuation vehicles—if you evacuate early enough. If a tornado hits your trailer, it is toast anyway, tie-downs or no. Don’t bother tying down your trailer.

JMO. Welcome.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:46 PM   #3

Many campgrounds have rules against leaving pets in an RV unattended while the owner is away. Dogs can bark continuously while the owner is away and make neighboring camper’s lives miserable. Owner comes back, dogs are happy and quiet, and the owner may not realize the hell the dogs raised in their absence. Check with the campground rules and be respectful of other campers.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:59 PM   #4

@behindbars @eye95 Both offered good information. Thank you. Actually the dogs are the biggest concern I have due to the heat in Florida and also, I would never want to interrupt someone's life with my dogs barking. I think that I am going to have to come up with a different idea. They are well behaved but not knowing for sure that they are behaving, I agree with you both.

I think I'm going to ask my boss if I can bring them to work. She used to bring her Jack Russell to work and kept her gated in her office. I have thought about my girls in a large cage, in a quieter place at the shop. My other option would be doggy day care I guess. I'll figure it out.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #5

I'm not familiar with the campgrounds in your area, but at least some in most areas allow full timers so you wouldn't have to relocate for a few days. Ask questions when you go looking for a park - or if you don't have time before, after you get in one start asking around for those that do, depending on your situation. What do your current neighbors say about your girls' barking? Any reason to think they'll act differently once they get used to your new digs? Like eye95 says, I use locks on my hitch when the trailer is parked for longer periods.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
I'm not familiar with the campgrounds in your area, but at least some in most areas allow full timers so you wouldn't have to relocate for a few days. Ask questions when you go looking for a park - or if you don't have time before, after you get in one start asking around for those that do, depending on your situation. What do your current neighbors say about your girls' barking? Any reason to think they'll act differently once they get used to your new digs? Like eye95 says, I use locks on my hitch when the trailer is parked for longer periods.
Awesome advice. Thank you. As far as the girls go, my neighbors have never had any complaints about them. I have thought about doing some test runs. You know, pretending to leave after closing all the blinds to the windows that they can see out of. Turning on the TV or a radio. It's usually the lawn crew or the delivery person that gets them barking but it will stop. Definitely having the a/c on, or maybe a fan or two. I don't know if I would be able to leave the a/c running all day. This is all assuming that I'm not breaking any camp rules. [emoji846]

I am really looking forward to minimalizing my life.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlito View Post
@behindbars @eye95 Both offered good information. Thank you. Actually the dogs are the biggest concern I have due to the heat in Florida and also, I would never want to interrupt someone's life with my dogs barking. I think that I am going to have to come up with a different idea. They are well behaved but not knowing for sure that they are behaving, I agree with you both.

I think I'm going to ask my boss if I can bring them to work. She used to bring her Jack Russell to work and kept her gated in her office. I have thought about my girls in a large cage, in a quieter place at the shop. My other option would be doggy day care I guess. I'll figure it out.

Something that you might find helpful is a Wyze camera. They are inexpensive, can hook to your wifi in the campground and you can see what is happening in your RV on the app for your phone while you are out.

Maybe your pups are just sleeping, maybe barking continuously at the neighbor, you will be able to know in just a minute. Also the camera will record all activity and can even send you alerts.

https://wyze.com/wyze-cam.html

campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:53 PM   #8

X 2 on the Wyze camera...

If you have WiFi in your camper the Wyze camera ($25 to $35) will allow you to use a smartphone to keep not only an eye on, but you can hear what is going on also with no other charges other than your WiFi internet service. Easy to setup also. Try wyze dot com and search youtube videos for info and buy on amazon

So many full-timer camps for trailers in FL it is not funny... I would be very surprised if you could not find a place to stay 365 days a year near you, wherever that might be.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #9

Thank you thank you. Great information y'all. I also learned that there's a temperature monitor that will send me notifications on the temperature inside my rig. It would suck if they died of heat stroke!

Is it a rig if it is a travel trailer?
Old 09-27-2020, 02:16 PM   #10

Quote:

Doggie daycare may be a cost of working and living where you do.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Doggie daycare may be a cost of working and living where you do.
Yes it is! :sad:
Old 09-27-2020, 02:53 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you thank you. Great information y'all. I also learned that there's a temperature monitor that will send me notifications on the temperature inside my rig. It would suck if they died of heat stroke!

Is it a rig if it is a travel trailer?
Yes, a rig can be any type of RV.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags