Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #1

Travel Trailer or Fifth Wheel for seasonal site?

At some point in the future we will be getting a larger camper for our seasonal site. Since we won't be towing it anywhere, we don't need to worry about trailer weight or tow vehicle setup (we would have it delivered to the site). The trailer we have now was originally purchased because it would be easy to travel with, but it is definitely not ideal for a seasonal setup.

I've been looking around online to get an idea of what our options will be. We've owned three travel trailers, but I'm not very familiar with fifth wheels. It seems like for the same overall length you generally get more storage space and often more interior space with a fifth wheel, particularly in the main bedroom. And the ones I've seen in person have felt more sturdy and well constructed than the comparable travel trailers.

Would you have a preference either way for a unit that won't be towed? Are there drawbacks with a fifth wheel that wouldn't apply to a trailer trailer? Thanks for your input!

(I have also looked into "destination trailers", but we need gray/black tanks and our site will only fit about a 34" trailer.)
HeyScienceTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Kasual Kamper

How about considering a Park model? With the fifth wheel, you are losing all of the living space under the bedroom.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:36 AM   #3

Get a Cottage Model.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #4

If you are talking specifically between a travel trailer vs 5th wheel, I'd definitely go 5the wheel!!

I've owned multiple travel trailers over the years and just went to a 40 foot 5th wheel for our seasonal lake lot......we wished we did it WAY sooner!!!
Gsxrgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #5

I did consider park models (cottage model, destination trailers, etc) but we don't want to move to a different campground or a different site at the our campground.

And we can only fit something about 34 feet long, so most of those units will be too long.

We also need something with black and gray holding tanks, and many of those units don't have them.
HeyScienceTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
Site Team

We started out as seasonals in a pop-up but quickly moved up to a TT with a bunkhouse in the back. We enjoyed it but it was still a bit small for us. We have 3 kids and they typically bring friends with so it's not uncommon for us to have 6 or 7 people in the trailer at one time.

We moved up to a 42' fiver and it gives us a lot more room. The higher ceilings are nice as well. It depends on what layout you go with but overall, 5th wheels seem to give you quite a bit more room and more storage.

I'm pretty sure there are park models and destination trailers that have black/grey tanks in them, but it might be difficult to find one under 34'.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:23 PM   #7

Now that I have a few more minutes......

Like Iwritecode, we too had a travel trailer with a bunkhouse (33 foot) and while it was nice, it just wasn't quite working. My wife is a teacher so her and my son live in it at our lake lot for 2 1/2 months over the summer. I am 6'2 at 275 and absolutely HATED the room in the main bedroom....I would have to get dressed in the living room. As for the main area, if everyone was in our unit to visit, we were all beside each other in a line making it hard to talk.

Fast forward two years later, our new 5th wheel has TONS of room. The storage is amazing, we have a king walk around bed with a room I can move freely in, even with my wife there as well!!! Added bonus for us seasonal people.....IT HAS A WASHER AND DRYER in the bedroom!!!!! The living room has a king sized fold out couch along the back wall with a love seat along the other making visiting a dream.....the extra 6 feet of length and the conversion to a fiver was absolutely night and day!!! Best part is, if you ever did decide to tow it, the length was no more than my travel trailer because a large portion is now in the truck box. Also, towing a fifth wheel vs a travel trailer is night and day as well.....I would never go back!!!!
Gsxrgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #8

When we decided to have a seasonal site we had same decision. The travel trailers have little storage space and the Cottage even less. Our seasonal is near Titusville, FL where we do a lot of bicycling and kayaking. When we leave Florida in March we can't fit the kayaks in the storage space but we do put a tandem bike, with wheels attached, in the main storage area and two single bikes in the front storage. Add to this outside chairs, patio rug, ribbon lights, extra hoses, etc. Seeing others trying to fit everything in a TT we are glad we have a Cedar Creek.
Navy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #9

5th Wheel vs. travel trailer

The only thing to remember is that 5th wheels have a lot of steps. If steps are not an issue now or later, they provide more room and a more homey feeling. I have trouble with steps so we gave up the Motorhome for a travel trailer.
snuelken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuelken View Post
The only thing to remember is that 5th wheels have a lot of steps. If steps are not an issue now or later, they provide more room and a more homey feeling. I have trouble with steps so we gave up the Motorhome for a travel trailer.
Has anyone with problems getting up steps seen any kind of a stair lift to help get you up to the next level?
Old 07-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #11

For livability, look at the Forest River Palomino Puma 31RLQS, 3 slides make it similar to any FW, but the bathroom is the deal maker. Too many TT's and FW,s have too small a shower.
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #12

The Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE and 29IK might be worth looking at too. They are right at 34' overall length.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:46 PM   #13

We love our FR Rockwood Windjammer - 3 slides - push-button jacks, hitch, awning, slides, etc., rear living with pop-up tv, sofa-bed & table & 4 chairs in DR. Walk-in closet in the bedroom. Lots of inside storage. We like the towing capacity as we bring our bikes, Goldwing or jon boat occasionally in the back of the truck.

The other thing you might consider is the saleability when you no longer want it.

Good luck with your decision.
Sonnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #14

To the OP,since you are in "Alaska" what Season are you Talking about? Most TT or 5th are 3 Season at Best! Youroo!!
Old 07-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #15
Site Team

I'm pretty sure she's in Minneapolis.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Steps are becomming a problem for us, and we are considering a switch to a regular TT. I question the comments about better storage- ours is somewhat lacking in that area. It's also not great to move around the bed.

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #17

An observation. Friends of ours were seasonal campers for quite a few years. We visited them quite a bit and got to meet some of their neighbors at various parties that were held at the camp ground. Seemed like the folks who NEVER moved their rig were in TTs or park models. Those who periodically took them on the road had 5vers.
One thing that occurs to me and I may be wrong about it, but it seems like a TT would be more stable once sited. You can put blocks under all parts of the frame. A 5ver will have a segment that has to be "up in the air". Though that can be a spot for some outside storage.
Upside to the 5ver, lower level has more head room. Not sure I buy that a 35 foot 5ver has more room than a 35 foot TT. Basically don't they both have 35x8 feet of floor space (plus whatever the slides offer)?
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

The nice part a fifth wheel is you can wrap a tarp cover around the front end. That creates a storage area for bikes and chairs under the hitch.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #19

Quote:
We were on the fence between TT or 5'er also because of the steps. Bought the 5'er and still wondering if we made the right choice. 4 steps into it and 3 more up to the bedroom and the knees aren't getting any younger.
'
Biggest thing is the restriction on the length of 34 ft. That is going to be the thing that the OP will have to choose the biggest bang for the buck and what layout fits best. That will take a lot of research online and then some road trips to see what RV fits their lifestyle.

Good luck!
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #20

TT or 5th Wheel?

We've had cabover campers, travel trailers and 5th wheels. There are of course many styles because we all like different things. An open floor plan is awesome so that you don't feel crowded. At the same time, can you have a little privacy if you are sick? Is this space big enough for slide outs? How technical are you, and do you need TV at all, or more than one and / or a good sound system? My suggestion is to look at several, sit in different areas of each camper you like, and see if you feel comfortable in it. Is the bathroom big enough for you needs and you don't feel like a sardine when you are in it? I will say that as above, it is very important that you can walk around the bed no matter what you buy. It does not get easier to get in and out of cramped spaces, or make the beds as we age. Good luck finding what works for you and have fun looking!
Backcountry Camper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, trailer, travel, travel trailer, wheel