Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2021, 10:27 PM   #1

Water manifold

So we got a new camper with three water hook ups. I could not see myself constantly unhooking and hooking up a hose when I wanted to change inlets. So I made this. Manifold valve was from Amazon, rest was from hardware stores. I forgot to buy a plug for the left side but I did have a valve. Figured I could use it once in a while anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	117C2A11-48D0-4C6D-9213-716F7C103385.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	251835  
jimbolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:25 AM   #2

From past posts and videos I’ve seen I feel the check valve your using is wrong for this application and in the wrong position.
But I’m not a plumber.
Most people keep there black flush water supply completely separate, I understand at some point any configuration is connected which has confused me for years. People normally put a splitter at the source and use a different hose.
Very nice set up! But how do you take it off at the end of the week?
Old 04-13-2021, 09:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
From past posts and videos I’ve seen I feel the check valve your using is wrong for this application and in the wrong position.
But I’m not a plumber.
Most people keep there black flush water supply completely separate, I understand at some point any configuration is connected which has confused me for years. People normally put a splitter at the source and use a different hose.
Very nice set up! But how do you take it off at the end of the week?
Someone will have to explain how the check valve is wrong. As installed it is closed until water pressure opens it. I am at a permanent spot so it stays hooked up for the season. To unhook it you just turn the black female knobs attached to the camper just as you would to unhook a hose.
Jim
Old 04-13-2021, 11:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbolyard View Post
Someone will have to explain how the check valve is wrong.
No Vacuum Break should check valve fail maybe????

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
No Vacuum Break should check valve fail maybe????
I understand things can and do fail. The check valve is in the closed position as mounted. I guess I don’t understand how it can fail, as positioned, as it will only open with water pressure below it. Or do only vacuum breaks never fail?
Jim
Old 04-13-2021, 03:39 PM   #6

I applaud your modification to your wetbay, Ive modified mine as well but differently, I keep the black tank flush completely separate.

However, in my case, I have yet to be able to use my Black Tank Flush and I have had now 3 Check Valves broke, damaged, never worked or arrived from Amazon DOA. So plenty of failures and I have not even used my system once!!!

You asked about how failures can happen, I came across this when doing my research.. Take it for what its worth.

https://www.thomasnet.com/insights/g...valve-failure/
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:13 PM   #7

What is the 3rd connection? City water, black flush & ??
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoulter View Post

Freshwater tank fill, maybe?
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:54 PM   #9

The check valve in line with the black tank is not needed and if the factory installed vacuum breaker/check valve is installed then another external check valve is not supposed to be utilized. The factory installed vacuum breaker/check valve will close the check valve side leading to the tank but the the valve body probably won't empty because residual pressure will not allow the water to exit the input line which is what the vacuum breaker is for. Of course this may not be a big deal since you are on a permanent spot it's just redundant.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
I applaud your modification to your wetbay, Ive modified mine as well but differently, I keep the black tank flush completely separate.

However, in my case, I have yet to be able to use my Black Tank Flush and I have had now 3 Check Valves broke, damaged, never worked or arrived from Amazon DOA. So plenty of failures and I have not even used my system once!!!

You asked about how failures can happen, I came across this when doing my research.. Take it for what its worth.

https://www.thomasnet.com/insights/g...valve-failure/
I understand your thinking, but answer me this. Do you use a different hose to connect the black tank flush? Do you use a different hose bib to attach your dedicated black tank hose to? Is that hose bib serviced from a different water source? You see my point? Fresh and black tank flush water comes from the same source, through the same bib, and can even go through the same hose. From what I can see there is a vacuum breaker inside my camper, but I wanted the extra assurance of an old fashioned, simple swing type, check valve. It is also gravity assisted because of the positioning.

Your link was informative, albeit basic.

Jim
Old 04-13-2021, 10:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoulter View Post
Tank fill.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
The check valve in line with the black tank is not needed and if the factory installed vacuum breaker/check valve is installed then another external check valve is not supposed to be utilized. The factory installed vacuum breaker/check valve will close the check valve side leading to the tank but the the valve body probably won't empty because residual pressure will not allow the water to exit the input line which is what the vacuum breaker is for. Of course this may not be a big deal since you are on a permanent spot it's just redundant.
As far as I can tell there is a vacuum breaker inside. The gate type of check valve should still work when the flow stops because of gravity acting on the swinging gate. I just added it for my peace of mind.
Jim
Old 04-14-2021, 06:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbolyard View Post
As far as I can tell there is a vacuum breaker inside. The gate type of check valve should still work when the flow stops because of gravity acting on the swinging gate. Jim
If this is referencing the factory installed valve its check valve is a spring loaded ball bearing type check valve on the output side not gate type. There's to much ado about separate hoses and such for the black tank cleanout plumbing. You're fine. I'm done.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:55 AM   #14

Jim after some time on google I learned a few things. I always assumed gate type check valves had to be horizontal, I was wrong.
But on another note I’m still confused why people carry a separate hose for the black tank flush ? The hose is connected to the same source. It makes no sense to me and I was hoping to understand why people do it.
Again Nice job!
Old 04-14-2021, 08:21 PM   #15

Then there is this picture found on the internet........
Takes all kinds, I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30599DF2-6196-4C71-B4E4-FD3438757EDE.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	466.3 KB
ID:	252002  

Tags
water