Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2020, 01:06 PM   #1

We're going to be camp workers! Advice welcome.

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread; if the Mods need to move it that would be great.
My wife and I love the Florida Keys and have been coming here for years, even before we got into camping. We've dreamed of one day moving here. Anyway, we're staying at our favorite CG in the Keys and have been asked by the managers to spend the summer here as camp workers. We've gotten to know everyone here over the years and feel were a good fit. We're excited at the prospect of doing this. We'd welcome any advice from experienced people that have been there and done that and can share their knowledge. Thanks in advance!
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:08 PM   #2

congrats. I couldn't even affore one month's wither rent down there. Can you stay year round? Put my name down for a spot in 3 years when I can retire
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
congrats. I couldn't even affore one month's wither rent down there. Can you stay year round? Put my name down for a spot in 3 years when I can retire
We actually were going to stay Feb and Mar - our site is prepaid so they're going to credit our summer site rental (discounted) with that money. Essentially, we will live here 6 months 'free.' Of course there is an hourly wage too. It will pay for groceries and electric. We're headed back to SW Fl Mar 1 to handle things. April 15 is our start date. While we're here we will look for permanent housing. House is on the market and business is sold. We're outta there!
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:21 PM   #4
Site Team

If you haven't already, head over to the WorKampers site, not so much for the listings, but for the things to do and lookout for when contracting to be a work camper.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:23 PM   #5
Always Learning

Do you mind sharing what park?
Old 02-21-2020, 05:45 PM   #6

If your park manager is a good guy, it should be a sweet deal. I have heard of not so good experiences when the park manager turned out to be a real jerk. The hosts got fed up with being treated like slaves and quit. Good luck.
Wolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:37 PM   #7
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf26 View Post
If your park manager is a good guy, it should be a sweet deal. I have heard of not so good experiences when the park manager turned out to be a real jerk. The hosts got fed up with being treated like slaves and quit. Good luck.
I'm thinking ever situation is different. Keep us posted .
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:42 PM   #8

Here's a couple things to remember when you work for "friends or relatives". Things could go south in a hurry if jobs or tasks aren't done or completed to their satisfaction or expectations. Your relationship with people you know in the park will change also to a worker/customer of park situation where your friends may expect you to address their needs before others.
To sum up, just be careful and cautious. You do not want this first workamper experience to sour you on workamping.

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
Phat Phrog

Oh my gosh how exciting!!! This all sounds exactly perfect!
Congratulations, have fun, and let us know how it goes!!
You just never know if you might find the Phat Phrogs trying to make reservations there!!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:22 PM   #10
Dahagen

Keep in mind that there are 3 kinds of "workcampers."
1..Workcamper where you live in the park,and work for your site, sewer, water, power, etc. You get NO pay or paycheck stub. They don't need your SS number. Nothing is taxable.
2..You are an independent contractor and get a W-2 for the value of your work. You may not get money, just credit on your space, etc. Or you could get paid a little. This is all taxable (even the money you don't get) and YOU pay the taxes.
3..Common employee. You get a check for hours worked. Again taxable but the employer pays the taxes.
Some park managers (especially the large corporations) will tell you that the untaxed workcamper (#1) is illegal, but it is not. The IRS code still shows it is on the books. See publication 525 page 7, meals and lodging.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:41 PM   #11

i totally wish a snow-birding Canadian could be a work camper in the winter!
Old 02-21-2020, 10:40 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo20 View Post
i totally wish a snow-birding Canadian could be a work camper in the winter!
Why can’t you?
Old 02-21-2020, 10:51 PM   #13

Sounds like you found the perfect spot for you to try work camping, an area you are familiar with and really enjoy. I hope it works out!
My wife and I thought about work camping for years before we retired. We talked to every camp host we met and joined the website. After retiring, we found we weren't willing to restrict our new found freedom to go and do as we pleased, when we pleased. Assignments can be from 6 weeks to 9 months.
Also we found the areas we preferred were almost impossible to get an assignment in.
The aspect that most required cleaning bath houses and firepits was not appealing either
Work camping works well for some couples, and other's, not so much.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:58 PM   #14

Keep your bosses happy, but don't forget the "customers". You used to be one and will be one again. Treat the guests as you would want to be treated, and your boss will be happy. Seen a few campers who have tried the hosting bit, but became terrors to the guests. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy the new career.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Why can’t you?
not being a US citizen or resident alien stops us from working in the USA. i cant imagine we would get a work visa. i enquired with Amazon for their camp work program and they cant hire Canadian citizens...
Old 02-24-2020, 07:12 AM   #16

I can think of a campground where they reserve three camping spots for people that work in the camp store. Check people in/out, sell firewood, and greet guests. One of the workers said that they had to put in 20 hours a week and could share this time between spouses. This campground had free coffee in the morning in their store and free treats for the dogs. Really a fun campground.
The people seemed to enjoy their jobs and talked about having these jobs for years. Cleaning the bath houses and sites was another crew that was mostly made up of the owners. The owners had strict standards when it came to cleaning.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
1..Workcamper where you live in the park,and work for your site, sewer, water, power, etc. You get NO pay or paycheck stub. They don't need your SS number. Nothing is taxable.
2..You are an independent contractor and get a W-2 for the value of your work.You may not get money, just credit on your space, etc. Or you could get paid a little. This is all taxable (even the money you don't get) and YOU pay the taxes.
3..Common employee. You get a check for hours worked. Again taxable but the employer pays the taxes.
Some park managers (especially the large corporations) will tell you that the untaxed workcamper (#1) is illegal, but it is not. The IRS code still shows it is on the books. See publication 525 page 7, meals and lodging.

I am not trying to nitpick and realize it is a small distinction, but as an Independent Contractor you will get a 1099, NOT a W2. Under this scenario, be sure to send in tax payments quarterly or you could get hit with a bad surprise (including penalties) when you file your taxes. If you use an accountant, he/she can advise you. If you do your own taxes, I recommend doing some homework before you start.
DenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo20 View Post
not being a US citizen or resident alien stops us from working in the USA. i cant imagine we would get a work visa. i enquired with Amazon for their camp work program and they cant hire Canadian citizens...
Interesting. I didn’t realize that.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:45 PM   #19

Workampers

We have been workampers for just over two years now in two different areas. Our first and easiest (no contract) was in Branson MO. The terms were very simple, free rent including all utilities and any food or items from the camp store within reason. As mentioned you will get a 1099-misc or something along that line. Ours showed the rental value of the site we were on. Our hours varied minimum of 20 hours per week was expected between my wife and I.
Our second is here in Mesa AZ. we are on contract, 24 hours per week per couple at $12/hr. They do adjust our hours so that the total pay is no more then our site rent. We do get a W-2 at this resort.
dtrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
2..You are an independent contractor and get a W-2 for the value of your work. You may not get money, just credit on your space, etc. Or you could get paid a little. This is all taxable (even the money you don't get) and YOU pay the taxes.
Lot more then 3 . many places will give you free site and power /water/ sewer and pay you anywhere from 10 to 15 an hr . some are camp host such as national forest camp ground where you work 20 hrs a week and get a free site no pay . some place will charge you a reduced rate say 50% off normal and pay you 10 to 15 an hr . lots of options our there for work campers all over the country
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote