RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-13-2020, 11:37 PM   #1

Post What I learned from a 13 day work Camping trip from Utah to Tennessee and Back

My wife and I just got back from a 13 day work camping trip from Utah to Tennessee and Back. On this trip we pulled our Forest River E-pro E15TB with our Ford F150. Here is what we learned:

The weBoost Drive Sleek (470135) Vehicle Cell Phone Signal Booster (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073V5S3T7) works great! With this I was able to keep a good signal for nearly every mile of our trip - even when we were off main roads. We have T-mobile service.

Rest Stops are often closed so you cannot really plan on staying in them overnight. Fortunately there are Cracker Barrels along most of the interstates. Cracker Barrel restaurants have actual spots just for RVs and Trailers in their parking lot - they actually welcome you to stay. Not only that you can get a good dinner when you arrive and a decent breakfast before you leave.

Loves, Flying J, and Pilot gas stations all have RV dump stations you can use ($10 fee) and they are everywhere which makes dumping your rig very convenient.

Gas is MUCH cheaper going east. We averaged under $1.90 per gallon and we saw it as low as $1.69 per gallon. Once we got back to Utah we nearly fell over to see the normal Utah gas prices of $2.30+ per gallon.

Freeways and Interstates are often in some state of repair or should be if not. Some sections of the interstate even had potholes. Hitting potholes going even 60 mph is never fun.

Expect something to go wrong. Bring your tools just in case things go wrong. We had to replace brakes and spark plugs on our trip even though we had our truck serviced just before leaving.

As always the best part about work camping is the great people you meet and the amazing sites you see. Camp on fellow FROGs.
slloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #2

Did you enjoy the trip?

Nice update.

Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:18 AM   #3

Yes we did. For all the bad Covid-19 has brought on the world it did bring a few good things. My employer now knows I can work effectively from home and now allows me to work from home permanently. With some 'modifications' to the back seat of our truck it is now a wonderful office.
slloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:47 PM   #4

I agree, nice update.
Thanks for sharing.
Tom
Fuelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:41 PM   #5

Angry Gas Price in Bridgeport, CA

$4.54 a gallon. One of the highest lately. Luckily when I got back to the Concord, CA it was $3.19.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:00 PM   #6

Gas

Yes we have been ripped of on gas prices in Utah for years, states that do not have a gas well in the state, have it all shipped in are cheaper than Utah where we have wells. Our politicians live high on our taxes here.
mlcarlile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:23 PM   #7

Gas and Diesel prices are ridiculously high in CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcarlile View Post
Yes we have been ripped of on gas prices in Utah for years, states that do not have a gas well in the state, have it all shipped in are cheaper than Utah where we have wells. Our politicians live high on our taxes here.
Here in Martinez, CA we have several refineries with in 17 miles and one here in town. So, basically little cost to deliver it. The Chevron refinery is a very short distance from us and there prices for fuel run approximately 50 cents more per gallon than the independent stations. I avoid their stations like the plague.

Tags
camping, utah