Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2018, 06:29 AM   #1

38MB vs FK

Doing a Riverstone factory tour on the 6th. Finally going to decide on what unit. I want the MB Legacy while the wife is leaning toward the regular Riverstone FK, her reason being that in our current 5th wheel, the bedroom upstairs gets and stays hotter than the rest of the RV unless the AC is running. The FK has the bedroom in the rear. Nick at the factory told me that I can get the FK with almost all of the Legacy options less the manifold system and some wood trim around the slides (FK has wood, but different). Would love to hear from some FK owners (pro and con). Thanks again.
Rusty
PS Have still yet to actually see an MB in person, and sadly none will be at the factory on the 6th. Looking to find an MB to look at on our way back to Chicago from Florida.
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #2

Congrats on choosing a River Stone you will not be disappointed, we have the 38mb and are very happy with it. We are never hot in the bedroom but it was a learning curve with the thermostat getting it programmed how we were comfortable. The FK would be our next choice, heck we even helped design that unit but also would prefer it in a Legacy, Jay the plant foreman said he could work something out but I am sure it was just like how your told what they can do. If we were on your way home I would be more then glad to show you our unit but we are on the east coast. Good luck and if I can help with any questions feel free to ask.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:23 PM   #3

FK Basement Storage

Rusty, when you go through the factory and look at the FK, pay close attention to the basement storage. For some reason, FK and FL models have a narrower basement compartment than models with the bedroom up front. I know, because we owned an FL model from SOB and it was fine for short trips, but would not want to be long or full timing with that reduced basement storage. I talked to a full-time couple who were camping next to us in the NY Finger Lakes with the same model as what I had, and they agreed that you have to be very careful on how much you can carry (their basement was PACKED from top to bottom). That said, it is sometimes nice to have your bedroom back further from the road in front of you at a campsite (quieter).

Good luck, Noel
2 Hobie Inflatable Kayaks
millman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:04 AM   #4

Thanks for the info guys, especially the heads up on the basement! dblr, enjoy your informative posts. Keep you posted on what we do. Looking forward to just pulling the trigger and getting this done.
Rusty
Old 04-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #5

39fk basement

Hi we just bought the FK and the basement is a lot smaller than we are used to I had a Jayco 375bhfs and it had a huge basement, we do full time in ours as we did the Jayco and found a lot of the stuff we had packed in th basement of the Jayco we never used, just my thinking is the more storage you have the more stuff you carry, I’m sure whichever you decide on you’ll love be safe
JojoCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:38 AM   #6

The reason my wife wants the FK is because in our current 5th wheel, the bedroom is upstairs and it always seems warm (we both like it cool when we sleep), even when it's in the 60's at night outside and the rest of the RV is cool. She is thinking that the bedroom downstairs will be cooler. She also likes what appears to be the extra drawers in the FK compared to the MB (yet to be confirmed). Any insight into the temperature issue (as well as anything else you like or dislike) in the FK. Thanks to both of you for the basement size information.
Rusty
Old 04-03-2018, 08:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
The reason my wife wants the FK is because in our current 5th wheel, the bedroom is upstairs and it always seems warm (we both like it cool when we sleep), even when it's in the 60's at night outside and the rest of the RV is cool. She is thinking that the bedroom downstairs will be cooler. She also likes what appears to be the extra drawers in the FK compared to the MB (yet to be confirmed). Any insight into the temperature issue (as well as anything else you like or dislike) in the FK. Thanks to both of you for the basement size information.
Rusty
So far we have not noticed that our bedroom is any warmer than the rest of the coach. Daytime highs in FL are mid 80’s right now. We set the temp at 82 during the day when we are away and 72 when returning in the evening. Only took 20 mins last evening to cool from 84 to 72. We do really like the large basement and the half bath of the 38 FB2 floorplan so far!!! Today is our 1 week anniversary since moving into it full time.

Pete
Fishrsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #8

Our Fk stays nice throughout the whole coach we have 3 ac’s and the zone climate control is awesome, there is a lot of storage in the kitchen and bedroom which I love the only thing I don’t care for is there is no storage in the living room, that being said there is a lot of room with the living room slides closed to put a nice sized automin and still recline the chairs
Old 04-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Rusty
Many 5th wheel RVs have very little or no insulation in the front cap, we have no complaints about our 38RE, hot or cold.
I suggest you bring an infrared temperature gun along when you go shopping and check the temperature in several spots and pay attention to how the trailer is exposed to the sun. Pay attention to the front cap, the areas around the door(s) and windows and especially the ceiling, well basically everywhere .
On a side note, your best weapon against heat buildup in the bedroom is opposing windows on both sides of the bed.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:00 PM   #10

Our Jayco was front bedroom and keeping it cool really wasn’t a problem but we spent the winter in PA and you could really tell with the cold air blowing under the bedroom even with the carpet the floor was a lot colder than anywhere else in the coach that’s another reason I went for a rear bedroom