Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #21

What did you end doing? If you don’t mind me asking! I downloaded the manual for the magnum, looks like it will work for me!
GFAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:31 AM   #22

I am going with the Onan EC30. It came down to being able to just being able to start/stop the generator when the demand is necessary versus running it for an hour (min) each time. Ordering it all today.

The issue is that NO ONE stocks this stuff its all ordered from Onan so its gonna take a week or so to get it.. might not have it in time for the 1st game. O well.

You can't go wrong with the Magnum, its very straight forward and should be a breeze to setup.

Jack
Old 09-23-2019, 07:54 PM   #23

Hey ! Did you get your EC30 installed and how did it go?
Old 09-24-2019, 08:28 PM   #24

Took longer then I thought to get everything in, but good news is its all here. Last piece arrived today!

I am going to be starting on it over the next coupe of days and prob finishing it this weekend.

I will keep you posted.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #25

Wow! Took forever to get all the parts! Slow production line I guess ! Lol
Old 09-29-2019, 06:17 PM   #26

DONE!!!
Old 09-29-2019, 06:49 PM   #27

I'm not going to inundate everyone with all the details but am happy to share all the details if anyone has any questions, but will share a few pics and point out a couple of must haves before you proceed that most won't have.

I removed the tall cabinet in my hallway next to my thermostat and my control center. Low and behold this gave ma a clear path up and down in the camper.

ALL of my connections could of been made right in this section using other (existing) contacts. V+, GND, etc. However I opted to home run one wire back to the battery bank.

Couple things to note. You will need a couple of male amp terminals to make the connection to the new AC module. You can't get these local in most cases, you will need to order the. I just happen to have some.

Second is the communication cable is a RJ11 (phone cord) style line. However, it is NOT a phone cable. Phone cables are flipped, the communications cable is straight through. Order one or make one.

Other then that the installation as pretty straight forward and pretty easy. I spent roughly 12 hours on it off and on. It could be done quicker, but I like to put terminals on all the wires and heat shrink everything. It's a curse...

One last though is that the AC Controller must be initialized to recognize the new controller. Just keep that in mind.

All the testing went good and worked like a champ. Started on AC demand, and shutoff after satisfied. Still need to tweak some settings, but so far so good. Big game this weekend, we will give it full shakedown.

Here are some pics for your enjoyment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7686.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	216209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7689.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	216210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7694.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	216211   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7682.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	216212   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7683.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	216213  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7707.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	216214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7712.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	216215   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7713.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	216216  
Old 09-29-2019, 07:13 PM   #28

Great! That is pretty impressive! I haven’t done anything yet! When you took cabinet out was this where all the controls where at? Mine is a 39 fl all controls are just as you come in the door! If I go in basement and remove panel I can see all the wires running to one control, generator start, power management system.
How much to install one NC ! Lol! Hope game goes great you a gator fan?
Gary
Old 09-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #29

Gary,

In my case is was the cabinet just to the right of the one when you walk in the door with all the controls in it.

Yes sir we are Gators. Big game this weekend then we are leaving directly after that headed west to the Big Easy to catch the game next weekend with LSU. Gonna be a fun trip no doubt!

Jack
Old 09-29-2019, 07:56 PM   #30

That is the same as mine, step in to right, how did you make run to ac thermostat, mine is all the way down the hall on right at bathroom
Old 09-29-2019, 08:01 PM   #31

Sorry don’t mean to bug you, did you have to purchase controls from Dometic for ac so you could tie in , just looking at pictures
Old 09-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #32

So you are saying that you could have made all connections behind cabinet
Old 10-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFAR View Post
That is the same as mine, step in to right, how did you make run to ac thermostat, mine is all the way down the hall on right at bathroom

In my case the AC "communications" cable that went to the thermostat came down from the ceiling in the same area behind the cabinet. I would bet yours does as well. I then just took the thermostat off the wall and used the existing cable to fish a pull string back. The existing cable went to the new module and the new cable went from module to thermostat.

Quote:
Sorry don’t mean to bug you, did you have to purchase controls from Dometic for ac so you could tie in , just looking at pictures

No problem at all. I didn't purchase the control box from dometic, but it is a dometic part. I ordered it online. I can post the part #s if you would like.

Quote:
So you are saying that you could have made all connections behind cabinet

That is correct. You will need a connection to provide DC power to the new control module and the EC30. (same source). And then you will need a another connection to monitor battery levels. As we only have one back of batteries, this technically could of been tide to the same source but I decided to just run it back to batteries and put the fuse there. So in my case I ended up with one fused connection at the battery bank and one fused connection behind the panel.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #34

I would like the part #s if you can send them and any info that would help me! I take it you have the 5500 onan propane like me 5.5 HGJAB. What about the male amp terminals
Old 10-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #35

Thanks for all your help! Gary
Old 10-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #36

Got question on ac I am reading onan instructions on hooking ac going try to copy and send HVAC systems.
Wire #10 Run Request HVAC #1: This input wire must supply +12V to the controller when the HVAC system requires the genset to run. Typically it is supplied from a thermostat or the HVAC system controller.
Wire #11 Run Request HVAC #2: Used with a second HVAC unit. See above.
Wire #12 Run Request HVAC #3: Used with a third HVAC unit. See above.
If the ac units have the AGS on them already can you not just tie into thermostat?
Old 10-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #37

Gary,

No problem. I might be a little slow getting you the info. On campus this weekend for the game and then leaving directly heading to LSU for next weekend.

The way I understand it and the way mine is hooked up is separate module that I bought is used specifically for a relay contact to open/close the 12V run request from any AC unit demand to the EC30.

There is no way for the thermostat to provide this connection. Pull it off the wall and you will see what I’m saying.

Could you hook the run request up to every AC unit? Maybe, but not sure why you would want the hassle.

Hope that helps.
Jack
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #38

Ok thanks! When ever you get time! Have a good time! Be safe!
Old 10-08-2019, 08:08 AM   #39

AGS Parts

Here you go,

Energy Command 30 018−02030
AC Control Module 3109226.005
EC30 Pigtail Harness 044-00077

I believe the pins are Molex .062 18-24 AWG. Should be able to find them on online. I can double check when I get back home next week.

That's about all you will need other then some female/male spade connectors, some wire and some basic tools.

Let me know how I can assist.

Jack
Old 10-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostable View Post
Here you go,

Energy Command 30 018−02030
AC Control Module 3109226.005
EC30 Pigtail Harness 044-00077

I believe the pins are Molex .062 18-24 AWG. Should be able to find them on online. I can double check when I get back home next week.

That's about all you will need other then some female/male spade connectors, some wire and some basic tools.

Let me know how I can assist.

Jack

Thanks! Will be checking on ! I am also looking at the shorepower monitor which will start generator with in seconds and cut off when shorepower comes back on! Real simple to install at generator and transfer switch!

Tags
generator