Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2019, 09:47 PM   #41

I had a Reese hitch that had massive urethane bushings at pivot points so that the 5er was 100% isolated from the truck in all directions by at least 1.5" of firm but pliable urethane. This cushioned and damped any movement between the truck and 5er. Never a click or clunk or sharp nudge from the hitch or 5er, and zero chucking.

The locking mechanism was a bit of a kludge and would not always release the 5er without some fiddling but we sure loved the smooth and quiet ride.

I didn't have time to look for something similar when we got a new truck with the puck system. Also, we got an early 2020 GMC and the puck feet spacing is different from 2019 and only two hitch makers had the new puck spacing available and only one was in stock. We got a B&W Companion but it has less than about 1/2" of urethane in the upper pivot so does not do the isolation and damping all that well. If I'd had more time, or more hitches with the new spacing were out, maybe I could have found something closer to that Reese.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:52 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdgtt View Post
After reading the post about 5th wheel hitches I am curious who is towing a Riverstone with the Anderson ultimate or pullrite superlite hitch.
I towed our Riverstone 38FB2 with the Andersen hitch. I have only towed it about 500 miles as we are currently RVing full time in the same location. I had no issues with the Andersen, I really like it as its pretty smooth with our Trail air on the Riverstone and very easy to hook up. We drove over some really rough roads up through New England. I will say that if you do use the Andersen check all of the torque settings on the hitch and the adapter that goes on the king pin.....once daily. I checked mine and most needed re-torqued. Check the ones on the hitch also. Other than this its a really good hitch. I'm on another forum and there a guy on there that delivers RVs of all sizes for a living and he uses the Andersen and hasn't had any issues with it...he really likes it.
Cummins0867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #43

1st was a Reese and then an Anderson, both went to the county recycle bin. My B&W is in the 3rd truck.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #44

TS3

Go with a Trailer Saver.
BM Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:13 PM   #45

Anyone try the Reese gooseneck pin box on a Riverstone? Currently have the Anderson Hitch but like the idea of only having to remove ball from truck.
Grunt4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:39 PM   #46

Hensley TS3 heavy duty air ride hitch

I have had the 25000lb hitch for 5 years. Love it but you need a way to get it in and out. About 300 lbs. I use a front end loader or a overhead winch.

Here is a video in action.

https://youtu.be/3pjUMuJrmOs

Link to the hitch.
http://www.trailersaver.com/product/ts3-air-ride-hitch/
jimdurborow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:37 AM   #47

Best fifth wheel hitch

I have a sliding hitch that has been invaluable in tight situations. In the rear most position I can get 90 degrees to the trailer without the front of the trailer hitting the back of the truck cab. Strongly recommend it
colretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #48

B&W

My humble opinion:
B&W makes one of the best quality hitches money can buy. American made, great service after purchase. We’ve had one in every tow vehicle we own.
Jark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 11:54 AM   #49

Towing 5th Wheel 16k with the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch. Aircraft Aluminum weighs 40lbs and it mounts to BW Gooseneck Ball. 24000 lbs. Towed 10k miles already and love it. I can hook up with just raising the Trl up and then down on ball. I hooked up in some tight areas at an angle and works like a dream. They have the one that hooks to the bed rails it's Steel and I think that one is 20k. JMO..
MikeyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #50

Bunkey63

I bought a Chevrolet 3500 with an 8ft bed and the gym hitch which is rated for 25K. I have only used it twice and seems fine.
bunkey63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 02:58 PM   #51

I have a B&W because a friend had one and liked how it connected to the truck via a goose ball hitch which freed up the bed of everything. Making life nice for when you don't want the hitch.

I have heard others using a different brand of hitch complain about not being ale to unhook after parking. I have parked my 5th wheel in literally every position possible testing the hitches ability. I have even hooked up at a 90 degree angle before in an uneven angle ground. Hooking or unhooking has never been an issue with the B&W

Now fast forward 7+ years the hitch still works great, my only complaint is the weight when putting it in and out of the truck.

I have considered the Reese Goose Box as it would make hookup, storage, etc easy. simple ball in the bed. hookup should be simple as well. The only difference is dropping the trailer onto the ball VS backing into the pin. Might be harder as I don't have a camera to see the bed floor and I would need to use chains. The connection should also be fairly solid. The only thing I worry about is frame issues on the RV and if the dimensions of the unit would work with my 5th wheel for proper bed clearance ETC.

Never used the Anderson hitch but it looks light which is nice but I dislike the design and overly complex parts that you have to leave - install on the trailer. The ability to hook to another truck or trailer takes this hitch out of possibility for me. Anytime you move away from a standard if you need help and or providing it make it more difficult. I agree the Reese Goose Box sort of does this as well, but a goose ball hitch is way more common and is standard design over the Anderson.

Those are my .02 on the matter, feel free to ask Q.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jark View Post
My humble opinion:
B&W makes one of the best quality hitches money can buy. American made, great service after purchase. We’ve had one in every tow vehicle we own.
Yes again I agree... B&W
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #53
Yukon_Bill

Asian tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbare31 View Post
I know you’re asking about hitches but I thought I’d pass on what I learned about Ram Duallys. If you were to buy one with 3.42 gears and the 68rfe transmission it may not have the towing capacity you need. Aisin transmission and 4.10 gears has a 30,000lb tow rating. The 3.42 was under 19,000 I think. I was shocked.
If I had bought the 8’ bed I would’ve bought B&W. American made and great quality.
I’d second the 4.11 with Asians tranny. Although we don’t have one yet, we test drove at least half dozen. Current owner of 16’ Ram 2500 with 3.42 axles. This truck was fitted for max economy with great pull capacity. We average 21 mpg empty, 12mpg fully loaded until we hit the mountains (7-8 mpg then). What we learned that pulling maxl load with the 3.42 our truck pulled, but it’s slow going over the big mountains. Think if I had done some research I would of gone with the 4:10. The new 3500 with 4:11 will pretty much pull anything pull-able. We’re just waiting on 2020 models to hit dealers, close to home. Lastly, I have not heard any negatives anywhere about the Asians tranny and many good dealers recommend. Good luck, as normal keep us updated. YOUR DECISION IS YOUR DECISION.
Yukonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:03 PM   #54

Pulling with a Ram 2500 with Air Bags does an amazing job. Those heavy duty coil springs give a very nice ride and when I load up my 15k 5th Wheel it doesn't drop down much like an inch only. I fill the air bags up at 25lbs and done..Pulls like a beast. As far as the trans go's I see no problem I just lock it down in 5th with the tow haul mode and exhaust brake on. Lock it down and it won't hunt for gears and won't shift as much thus not wearing the Trans. I got well over 150k miles on my last trans same one I have now. I use to repair 3000 series Allison Trans at my Co. The biggest problem was Chinese Solenoids. It's how you drive it!!! Something must be wrong with your truck if it won't climb now probably an easy fix.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:04 PM   #55
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukonbill View Post
We average 21 mpg empty, 12mpg fully loaded until we hit the mountains (7-8 mpg then).
I had a 2012 and now a 2018 3500 with 4.10 gears. The 2018 has the Aisin transmission. Both were crew cab, long bed trucks and are 4x4.

Towing (was 16k and now is 21k), I consistently get 8-9 mpg.

Not towing, the 2012 was 12mpg and the 2018 is anywhere from 11-14mpg.

The 4.10 gearing and 4x4 both take a pretty big bite out of fuel economy. I'd only get the 4.10 gears if I had a need for it from a numbers perspective.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:23 PM   #56

Best hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSLegacy View Post
Hello to all and Merry Christmas. My wife and I have a Riverstone 39 RKFB on order and I am now researching, what is the best and safest tow hitch to pull our 39 RKFB. We are buying a new Dodge 3500 series dually with a diesel, 4X4, and this should be more than enough truck to pull this fifth wheel with no problems at all. The 39 RKFB fifth wheel is a pretty heavy model with the dry weight over 16,000 lbs and the max weight over 19,000 plus lbs. Although a heavy fifth wheel compared to some on the market, this truck should definitely tow this unit without any problems. We would appreciate any suggestions and input regarding our purchase of a fifth wheel hitch to be installed in the truck bed. There are many hitches available and our truck bed will have the pucks covering the factory pre-drilled holes for the hitch. The truck will have an 8 ft. bed for more stability and maximum turning radius. We would love your feedback and expertise in what you would might recommend as a quality and safe tow hitch. Thanking you all in advance and again Merry Christmas with always safe travels. God Bless !!!!!

You will already have one of the best hitch's in your Ram. I used a curt 24K for about a year and it worked very well. However, I have 3 other trailers that are gooseneck hitch's, so, I bought a Reese Goosebox to tow my Cedar Creek 37rth which is 41 feet and about 1000 ibs lighter than the riverstone. Some others on this forum have done the same. It makes removing the hitch when you are not hauling the 5er very simple, remove the ball and you are done and there is nothing in your bed, you can use your truck again. The cost is near what a good hitch would be for the goosebox. If you are looking for a deal on a slightly used curt 24k with ram puck system, I have one to sell.

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Kaw Concours
Rockinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:51 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
I have a B&W because a friend had one and liked how it connected to the truck via a goose ball hitch which freed up the bed of everything. Making life nice for when you don't want the hitch.

I have heard others using a different brand of hitch complain about not being ale to unhook after parking. I have parked my 5th wheel in literally every position possible testing the hitches ability. I have even hooked up at a 90 degree angle before in an uneven angle ground. Hooking or unhooking has never been an issue with the B&W

Now fast forward 7+ years the hitch still works great, my only complaint is the weight when putting it in and out of the truck.

I have considered the Reese Goose Box as it would make hookup, storage, etc easy. simple ball in the bed. hookup should be simple as well. The only difference is dropping the trailer onto the ball VS backing into the pin. Might be harder as I don't have a camera to see the bed floor and I would need to use chains. The connection should also be fairly solid. The only thing I worry about is frame issues on the RV and if the dimensions of the unit would work with my 5th wheel for proper bed clearance ETC.

Never used the Anderson hitch but it looks light which is nice but I dislike the design and overly complex parts that you have to leave - install on the trailer. The ability to hook to another truck or trailer takes this hitch out of possibility for me. Anytime you move away from a standard if you need help and or providing it make it more difficult. I agree the Reese Goose Box sort of does this as well, but a goose ball hitch is way more common and is standard design over the Anderson.

Those are my .02 on the matter, feel free to ask Q.
people that don`t own/never used an Andersen U seem to have a lot of opinions on why their hitch is better but sense they make this stuff up in their heads it must be true. You do know with a 1/4 inch Allen wrench the 4 set screws can be loosen and the coupler just drops off for towing by another after you remove the pins, my 12 year old could do this to the "overly complex parts". I think it is really funny that people that spend 1,200 to 3,000 dollars on a hitch will by nature say the boat anchor they bought is best. Yeh, I know got a crane in the garage to get it out, but then what do you do with it.
Resse Goose box hitch, Mor/Ryde SRE 4000, X Factors, shocks... real smooth ride
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:51 PM   #58

So True in the event you have to tow another Trl or use another truck the process is very simple. Installing the device on the kingpin is very easy simple. If you use another truck just remove it. I have yet to do this but removing the hitch from the truck is so simple it takes minutes. I like that BW hitch it looks great but I'm sure it's heavy but they say you remove it in sections. Andersen unscrew the bolts and BAM it's off completely.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:21 AM   #59

Hitch

I do not know which is the best hitch, however, I have used a Pull-Rite since 2004. When you hitch, there is never any doubt about it being hitched as it slams shut with obvious sound when the hitch encircles the pin. You can see that it is hitched by the position of the handle and jaw. I still always do a tug test but it has never not been hitched. I do have locks on all mounting pins and the handle that releases the hitch pin. I have been RVing since 1977.
mushed by drunk driver1995 Dodge Cummins Exhaust Pac brake, DTT trans, cold air intake mods, TST #5 cam plate & others.
Pull-Rite Super 5 15.5K hitch
Been trailering since 1977
rosebunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:12 PM   #60

I have a B&W center pull hitch installed on both my trucks, Ford F 250, and a Chevy Silverado. I have the Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch and can move it from truck to truck. Never had a problem with it, and when it is hooked up I feel confident it is very safe.
sparky986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel