Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2021, 08:17 PM   #1

Electrical issues w 2021 Riverstone Legacy 39rkfb

Hi,
We are living full time in our rv and had an issue, which led to us blowing a fuse. We replaced the fuse, reset the GFI (states there is only one). We have 4 outlets 1. refrigerator 2.desk 3.plug in for loveseat 4. main tv, that now don't work unless on the invertor. All other outlets are working when plugged in to shore power except these 4. In addition our, control panel screen for electrical shows line 1 and line 2 for power. Line 1 is in black and line 2 is in red. Attached please find picture of power screen. We have flipped all breakers inside the coach and at the panel outside, where we are hooked up. Any help or ideas in this matter would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in Advance
Carol Jean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210125_154726 (1).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	246698  
Carol Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:17 AM   #2

Check your power cord reel connections and/or your power cord itself. Mine went bad on one leg.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:06 AM   #3

Try contacting the factory link below

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/conta...reserve-series
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:34 PM   #4

Fixed? What's the status?
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:51 PM   #5

Not yet, we did just send an email to the link posted above. We have been searching for possible "easy" solutions to no avail.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:48 PM   #6

Being a 2021 it would still be under warranty. I'm not sure how close you are to the dealer you bought it from but perhaps call them and tell them our situation that it's technically your house and if need be ask for the service manager for help. Perhaps they could get a service tech on line that could walk you through some steps. It would help to know perhaps what the "issue" you mentioned that could be the culprit. Do you have a Surge suppressor connected to your power cord that is plugged into the Power Source? Are you in a Campground? If so ask anyone else near you if they're having any power issues. It could be the CG that could have the problem. Another thing I'd probably do is shut the breakers off and reset them again just by chance there's an intermittent breaker. If all else fails I'd call FR directly instead of just sending an email to them for faster service.
(1) Jeff Richardson
(260) 593-4027
(2)Austin VanBuren
(260) 593-2584
RiverStoneService@forestriverinc.com
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:13 PM   #7

Experienced?

Carol Jean,

Do you have a voltmeter or multimeter? If you have one, we can walk you through some simple tests that might help to isolate the problem. In the meantime, here is some basic information that will help you understand what we can tell so far.

Your RV is a "50 amp" unit. This means that the fat power cord is effectively two power cords in one, (Line 1 and Line 2 on your panel). Some of the outlets in the trailer are connected to one, some to the other. One of the two lines is not delivering power.

A systematic check would start by measuring voltage of each line at the pedestal, at the end of the cable, and then at the power center, to see where one of the lines loses power.

I did notice that you didn't mention flipping the breakers at the pedestal or unplugging/replugging the trailer at the pedestal (ideally with the breakers at the pedestal turned off). If your cable unplugs from the side of the trailer, you could check that, too.

Let us know what you find.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:59 PM   #8

Wow! Thank you so much for all this
Information. We will definitely be doing this when we get home from work
Old 01-27-2021, 07:12 PM   #9

Hi Dmctlc
Thank you for all the information. Let me see if I can answer some of the questions. We found the exact RV we had been looking for in OK, CA or PA. We live in CO so OK was the closest -12 hours away. Unfortunately that won’t be an option. The “issue” was we used a space heater to dry a carpet where our water station sprung a leak. (We took out one couch, put in our dog’s kennel and our deep rock water station). We realize it wasn’t ideal but wanted to dry it out ASAP. It seemed to blow the fuse. We are doing a build out in our garage (aka barndeminium), we are staying in one of our garage bays in the meantime, so no one else to ask. We are going to try the things Larry mentioned and will keep you all posted. I can’t thank everyone enough for caring and taking the time to reply with your insight. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2021, 07:54 PM   #10

Dehumidifier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Jean View Post
Hi Dmctlc
Thank you for all the information. Let me see if I can answer some of the questions. We found the exact RV we had been looking for in OK, CA or PA. We live in CO so OK was the closest -12 hours away. Unfortunately that won’t be an option. The “issue” was we used a space heater to dry a carpet where our water station sprung a leak. (We took out one couch, put in our dog’s kennel and our deep rock water station). We realize it wasn’t ideal but wanted to dry it out ASAP. It seemed to blow the fuse. We are doing a build out in our garage (aka barndeminium), we are staying in one of our garage bays in the meantime, so no one else to ask. We are going to try the things Larry mentioned and will keep you all posted. I can’t thank everyone enough for caring and taking the time to reply with your insight. Thank you!
Carol Jean: A space heater won't help much. You may get the water off the floor, but it will quickly condense on the cool windows or window frames. A dehumidifier is better.

Once you get the electricals figured out, look for a 30 pint (smallest size) dehumidifier. Sometimes you can get them for free or $25 on Craigslist. Take the tank off the back, figure out how to wedge the Tank-Full switch off, and set it in the shower. If you are living in the trailer full time, you will need to control the moisture and this is the easiest way.

As I was writing this, I realized there was ONE MORE THING I forgot to include in the previous email.

Several of the outlets in your RV (lavatory, kitchen, outside) are controlled by a Ground Fault Interrupter (GFI) outlet, usually in the lavatory. It will have two buttons on it, Test and Reset. Press and release Test. Then press and release Reset. If you feel a 'click' from the button, you have just solved the problem.

Be sure to write back and let us know what you find.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:57 PM   #11

Just an observation. Whenever I read "fuse/breaker/popped" and now a circuit doesn't work even after fuse is replaced or breaker reset, it makes me think there may be a wire or connection failure as well.

Heaters are notorious for overheating things and given the way RV wiring is a lot like old christmas lights, a failure takes out a whole string, this would be an area I'd explore.

Also, it appears that the monitor panel is showing voltage on both lines but only a small current on one.

This should preclude issues with park power supply cord. The issue most likely is at a junction somewhere in the circuit the heater was connected to.

Just my observations.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:28 PM   #12
Always Learning

I agree with Larry-NC, you lost a leg of power. The outlets (likely on different circuit breakers) and the screen are all indicating that.

As Larry-NC mentioned, you need to start out at the campsite pedestal and test it. If it tests fine, you then need to check your power cord and any adapters you might have on it.

From there, I'd likely pull the power connector off of the side of the camper and check the wires behind it are securely connected and tight.

After that, the problem would lie in any kind of automatic transfer switch (if one exists- it would if you have or have wiring for a built-in generator).

And lastly, I'd check wiring to the breaker panel itself.

Be careful, this electric stuff can be dangerous!
Old 01-30-2021, 09:30 AM   #13

Look on the inverter itself for a fuse or breaker trip. On my old coach our inverter had a safety that would pop if too many things were powered at once.
2LaneLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:53 AM   #14

Thank you again, for all the information. As for the humidity issues, we are lucky it wasn’t a ton of water that spilled. With living in Colorado it is so dry, we don’t seem to have the humidity issues yet. I have a device that reads the humidity and it has been at 30% or less, so all good there.
As for the electrical, we have used a receptacle tester and the 4 plug ins show an open ground. When Ted is done with work today we are going to go thru all the suggestions that have been given on here. We will keep you posted. Thank you!
Old 02-28-2021, 05:59 PM   #15

Hi all,
I just wanted to give you an update. We had an electrician out yesterday and he finally found the problem. Our inverter is bad and wasn’t conducting 112 v correctly. We disconnected the inverter and everything is working fine. Thank you again for all your suggestions.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:05 AM   #16

Thanks for the update
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:37 AM   #17

Yes thanks for the update and glad that problem is behind you. Enjoy.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical