Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #1

Ford Camera/TPMS package

Has anyone installed this package on their Riverstone?

I have a 2018 38FB and I’m trying to figure out how to route the first cable from the bed of the truck back through the cavity where the light/brake cable goes.

I found a couple of videos on YouTube but the Riverstone appears to be a little different.

Before I got too serious into it I figured I’d see if someone else already conquered it and save some time.

Thanks,
jacgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #2

I got the camera system when I bought my 2017 F350 but never attempted to install it yet.
2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #3

Here is an update for this thread. After looking over all the possibilities for cable routing and considering the cost of having to go to a tire shop to have the tires removed, sensors installed, remounted AND the cost of a custom adaptor to plug the cable in the bed of the truck instead of at the bumper, I just bought a TST tpms and called it a day. The fifth wheel already has a rear camera so no big deal there.

Ford doesn’t tell you this but their kit is clearly made for bumper pulls not fifth wheels.

It could work but pricey and you may not be satisfied with the final appearance of cable routing. Wireless would have been much better in my opinion.

Happy camping!
Old 07-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I’ve got it installed on mine (Surveyor 5th, not a Riverstone) and yep, it’s designed more for bumper pulls. If anything, I’d say it’s designed more for open cargo trailers (or maybe boat trailers). Install fees, extra adapters, etc... I’m more than double the price of the kit into this.

That said, it is nice that it fully integrates into the dash:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3738.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	181319

Name:	IMG_3739.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	181320

I don’t have any photos on hand of how it was installed so I’ll have to grab some next time I’m out at the trailer storage lot.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #5

Thanks for this reply, love the integration. I was hoping to get some of the clutter off the dash too. I hooked up the camera just to test and it is really nice.

Getting the cable through the pin box to the front compartment is near impossible the way a Riverstone is built. Running it on the surface, even in conduit just didn’t appeal.

I may still get bored one day and put it on.

That’s the fun of tweaking these things!
Old 07-26-2018, 11:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, that's pretty much the way the dealer did mine, on the surface in conduit. I went to them to get it installed because I wanted it all tucked away, but they told me due to the structure of the frame, in order to run it the same way the 7-pin is run, they'd have had to remove the entire front cap and then the side of the trailer.

So, it's tucked away 'enough'. It's not ideal, but I can live with what they've done. Really wish I had taken some pictures so I can show you what they did.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:51 AM   #7

I would love to see those pics when you get a chance. I know it can be done, I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. Also would like to see pics on how they got up to your camera.

Your dealer was right. I’m an electrician and I tried every method known to fish that cable back there and there was just no way.

Maybe someday
Old 07-26-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

To the camera's a little easier to explain. They punched through the wall in the kids's bunks, ran it down into behind the outside kitchen then through into the underbelly. They then used some trim to cover it so it looks like it was always part of the bunk. I'll have to get some photos of that too.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:08 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Well, it’s been a while, but I was finally around the camper again and was able to get you some pictures of it installed:

Here’s the loom run for for getting the cable to the kingpin:

Name:	IMG_4192.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	182510Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4193.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	182511Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4194.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	182512

And here’s the trim piece hiding the line in the kid’s bunks:

Name:	IMG_4195.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	182513Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4196.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	182514

Here’s the repeater box in the front storage cubby:

Name:	IMG_4191.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	182516

And finally the camera on the back of the unit:

Name:	IMG_4197.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	182517
Old 08-07-2018, 12:13 AM   #10

Boy, they did a very neat job of it. It worked out great with the bunk area. No one would know it wasn’t part of the original build.
Thanks a lot for the great pics. If I ever decide to do it, I would probably route things in a similar way. Hope you enjoy the rig for many years to come! Thanks again for the pics!
Old 08-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Not a problem. I'm just sorry they took so long to get. (Because that meant I haven't been camping. )
Old 08-07-2018, 07:27 PM   #12

I installed echo cameras through GM in each mirror so when you put the directional on you can see the the whole side of the truck and camper.(via NAV screen ) Also, Installed a camera on the cab (roof)of the truck and this lines up the 5th wheel hitch with the trailer . However, the back up camera from FR isn't great ( too grainy )and was thinking of installing a more powerful camera on the trailer that could somehow be connected to the 8 inch NAV screen inside the truck but haven't looked into yet Jerry
BlueStarMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tpms