Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2022, 07:46 PM   #1

Furnace Gas Control?

I have a 2020 Riverstone 39FK with a Suburban SF42Q furnace. Been trying to find this, but haven't been able to, yet. Hoping someone's dealt with this.
As it gets colder, the temperature that the furnace changes from HEATING W/HEAT PUMP to HEATING W/GAS OVERRIDE gets lower and lower. While it pumps heat out much faster, we don't want to use too much propane. Is there any way to control when it swaps to gas override or is this just what I need to work with?

Thanks all! Sorry if this is just a newb question! lol

2020 Riverstone 39FK
Deffy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:11 PM   #2

If you are hooked up to electric ... get some electric heaters if you don't want to use propane

use heat pump until weather outside drops too low for the heat pump to work.
then switch to alternate. Not sure if there is a setting that does this automatically

maybe use LOW fan mode to circulate heat evenly through out... put electric heater near/under the air INTAKE
Old 11-29-2022, 08:32 PM   #3
Site Team

Hang in there, Deffy9.
Someone will come along shortly who can explain how that heat pump/furnace switch-over works.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:01 AM   #4

There is no control to lower output of furnace. It is fixed, unfortunately.

The Heat Pump does not work well below 45 degrees. It gets very inefficient past that point. Better to set your thermostat on Furnace.

If you want to use less propane you will need to use electric resistance heating. In other words space heaters.

In my case, I was also trying to reduce the amount of propane use so I installed and hard wired a 1600 watt Cadet electric wall heater in the basement area under the shower. Away from shower drain a ways in case of a leak.

I set the thermostat to 70 and it keeps the bathroom floor nice and toasty and also keeps the water lines nice and warm in the basement area.

I also mounted a couple of 200 watt Cozy Chicken Coup heaters under my kitchen table on the wall. It keeps that area nice and warm.

Combined with the electric fireplace and the Cadet wall heater in the bedroom our furnace rarely comes on unless it is in the teens.

Yes, I do have a $300 electric bill but I only used 60 lbs of propane for the month of November.

Tags
furnace, gas