Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2022, 09:07 AM   #1

Generator Help

We purchased a used 2020 39FKTH with the Lippert OneControl system. It came from the factory with generator prep installed.

I installed an Onan 6,500 QG yesterday and got everything wired up today, including the control harness. The generator can be started and stopped from within the OneControl app via phone or the control panel.

This morning I thought we would test the auto-transfer feature - killed shore power and the generator didn’t auto start. Started via the app but for some reason the transfer switch didn’t swap over.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
We purchased a used 2020 39FKTH with the Lippert OneControl system. It came from the factory with generator prep installed.

I installed an Onan 6,500 QG yesterday and got everything wired up today, including the control harness. The generator can be started and stopped from within the OneControl app via phone or the control panel.

This morning I thought we would test the auto-transfer feature - killed shore power and the generator didn’t auto start. Started via the app but for some reason the transfer switch didn’t swap over.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Transfer switches sense incoming power and switch accordingly prioritizing the generator but the transfer switch does not automatically start the generator . There are systems that do but it's outside of the transfer switch
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Transfer switches sense incoming power and switch accordingly prioritizing the generator but the transfer switch does not automatically start the generator . There are systems that do but it's outside of the transfer switch
Agreed. The Lippert OneControl app will start and stop the generator, currently set to 12 volts. Turns out my problem with the transfer switch is that I never closed the output breaker on the generator before putting the cover back on - doh!!!

Closed the breaker, started the generator and it transferred over just fine after a brief warmup period.

Now I am letting the batteries discharge to test the auto-start function.

I feel like such an idiot, considering I spent 20 years in the Navy as a Nuclear Electronics Technician.
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:57 AM   #4

When my auto start function sees 11.8 volts on the one control it’s erroneous data. A good voltmeter reads 12.1 volts at the batteries, so I set 11.6 volts as the start limit.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
Agreed. The Lippert OneControl app will start and stop the generator, currently set to 12 volts. Turns out my problem with the transfer switch is that I never closed the output breaker on the generator before putting the cover back on - doh!!!

Closed the breaker, started the generator and it transferred over just fine after a brief warmup period.

Now I am letting the batteries discharge to test the auto-start function.

I feel like such an idiot, considering I spent 20 years in the Navy as a Nuclear Electronics Technician.
I feel your pain . seem to forget more then i remember , worst part is I have to search for terminology that used to be everyday talk . And good luck with your one control i passed on a new unit because it had the one control and a 12v fridge . I seem to do better with switches then touch screens
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
I . And good luck with your one control i passed on a new unit because it had the one control and a 12v fridge . I seem to do better with switches then touch screens
I agree with you on this, we have a 2017 unit with toggle switches instead of the new fancy computerized stuff. We were at the factory a couple of years ago when the current plant foreman asked us when are you getting a new one to which our reply was when you stop installing the techie stuff.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:01 AM   #7

X2, dvor!
Trksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:09 AM   #8

If, and that’s a big if, you can get to the bank of relays the One Control uses it’s easy to add switches for various functions. I’ve added easily accessible switch’s at the main entry door to control overhead lights, scare and porch lights and water pump and heaters. Doing this mod just makes those functions accessible without turning the OC panel on. Everything is still controllable via the panel(s), the app or the switches.

A big problem with using the app is having to first go to the internet to log in, then reset the network to the OneControl router. Fortunately I have a very early version of the app installed on an older iPhone which has internet and updating functions disabled. It works good.

Tags
generator