RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-24-2018, 07:58 AM   #21

Good Catch, Thanks for sharing!

If I were you Id get on the horn to Girard and get that O ring coming to have it on hand so you are not out of hot water for any extended length of time when it fails.

Or better yet, order two, change it now and have a Spare.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:59 AM   #22

If my electric hot water heater quits at my home Iíll replace with a on demand gas hot water heater but for my camper no. I just canít see paying for electric at the campground and for us using a propane tankless hot water heater. Seems wasted to me but thatís why different stuff is made. If you like your tankless great, just not for us
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:05 AM   #23

Tankless water heaters............are like camper insurance.

You can NOT make blanket statements about either one. If you do, you are off base, mistaken, misguided, wrong, or misinformed. LOL

Too many variables on both to make any blanket statement.

I had one by Suburban, and even the Suburban tech at FROG couldn't make it work right. So I replaced it with a conventional 12 gallon. No trouble since. The concept is great. Those that love it, love it. Those that can't make it work are NOT all dummies that 'don't know how', though. Sometimes the campground water flow is at issue. Sometimes the unit just doesn't work.

Same with insurance. Yours is not the same as mine, and never will be.

Just two subjects that can't be globally discussed very well.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
If my electric hot water heater quits at my home Iíll replace with a on demand gas hot water heater but for my camper no. I just canít see paying for electric at the campground and for us using a propane tankless hot water heater. Seems wasted to me but thatís why different stuff is made. If you like your tankless great, just not for us
When we had a Suburban tank water heater (6 gallon) we used both electric and propane to recover the hot water faster. We left them both on all the time because turning one or the other on and off was too big a PITA.

We actually find the tankless uses less propane than the 6 gallon because it only burns propane while were actually using the hot water instead of being on 24 hours a day while we are camping.

Ours came with the tankless when we bought it. I cannot tell you what we would have selected if we had the choice, but it was not an option at the time.

But as you said, to each their own. If I got a tank type again Id opt for a 12 gallon, simply to have a longer supply of hot water and not have to take very short "Navy" showers.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
We left them both on all the time because turning one or the other on and off was too big a PITA.

We actually find the tankless uses less propane than the 6 gallon because it only burns propane while were actually using the hot water instead of being on 24 hours a day while we are camping.

I'd guess the tankless uses less propane because it's not on all the time.

I don't have a tankless any more..........and I also turn on the propane to help speed recovery.....but it's not a PITA to turn off one switch so I don't leave it on all the time. And I use almost no propane.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:27 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
When we had a Suburban tank water heater (6 gallon) we used both electric and propane to recover the hot water faster. We left them both on all the time because turning one or the other on and off was too big a PITA.

Ours came with the tankless when we bought it. I cannot tell you what we would have selected if we had the choice, but it was not an option at the time.

But as you said, to each their own. If I got a tank type again Id opt for a 12 gallon, simply to have a longer supply of hot water and not have to take very short "Navy" showers.

Itís not a PITA for me to turn off the propane hot water heater and just use electric. It saves me money. I adjust the A/C control and furnace all the time. Iím glad you like your tankless
Old 03-26-2018, 08:35 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
It’s not a PITA for me to turn off the propane hot water heater and just use electric. It saves me money. I adjust the A/C control and furnace all the time. I’m glad you like your tankless
Because of my work schedule we usually only get to go camping for 1 4 day long weekend a month so a tank of propane lasts the entire camping season. At $21.00 to fill the tank we don't find it a huge expense, and the long showers are worth it to DW and myself.

I will admit though, around New Years when the weather was so cold the WH did not warm the water enough for a hot shower. It was a PITA to have to go to the camp shower to get a hot shower. I don't think there is any one perfect solution, everything about camping is a compromise of one sort or another.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:39 AM   #28

DW usually showers first and by the time she gets done in the bathroom the water is hot again. If you dry camp much you have to take navy showers or else you run out of water or grey water tank space.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:14 PM   #29

We have a 2018 Riverstone 39FK and our tankless water heater worked for one day. We now have to turn on the shower, before we can get hot water in the Bathroom sink or kitchen sink... Slowly starting to hate this RV...
jdmoody09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmoody09 View Post
We have a 2018 Riverstone 39FK and our tankless water heater worked for one day. We now have to turn on the shower, before we can get hot water in the Bathroom sink or kitchen sink... Slowly starting to hate this RV...
Sounds like you have a flow problem that needs to be addressed.

I think everyone starts hating their new rig the first year until you get all the bugs worked out. Then, you can start enjoying it for years to come
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #31

Agreed, sounds like a flow problem. We moved into ours full time last week and we have all the hot water we want. When we did our PDI, we could get hot water everywhere but the kitchen sink, the technician removed the aerator flow restriction insert and that solved the issue. Hope this helps you.

Pete
Fishrsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #32

Quote:
We had same problem until I read some other comments on another related post about water pressure. As soon as I increased the pressure to between 55-60 psi we had no more issue with that problem.

Good luck!

Larry
SomedayIsToday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Please let me know what the problem was! I have not used mine yet wil be leaving out in a couple weeks! Hope is ok! Have tankless water heater in house that I enjoy havenít had a problem with!
Thanks!
Gary
GFAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:53 PM   #34

Quote:
A tankless water heater is not for everyone, some love 'em, some hate 'em and for some they simply don't work. Girard has a PDF file online with detailed instructions on how to tweak some settings.
If your incoming water is too cold the tankless water heater can not provide enough BTUs to heat the water to a comfortable temperature, a 90 - 95 deg shower is not comfortable when it's cold outside and 85 deg warm water in the kitchen sink is not acceptable, we didn't by these units to put up with mediocre water temperature.
If you have a washing machine or dishwasher hooked up to hot water forget it, these appliances call for short bursts of hot water and with the inherent time delay of RV style tankless water heaters not compatible and rely on the appliance's built in electric element to heat the water.
A pressure regulator as recommended and used by almost everyone can cause a low flow fault unless the hot water is opened slowly to prevent pressure drop on the sensor.
In campgrounds with low water pressure the tankless water heater may not even turn on at all.
If you need to conserve water when boondocking the tankless water heater is not your friend because of the amount of cold fresh water wasted while it runs through the water heater before the unit turns back on.
If for some reason the flow rate drops below 1/2 gpm in the water heater, maybe because someone opens a cold tap somewhere, flushes the toilet or you simply reduce the water flow to conserve water and the pump starts cycling your hot water is gone.
Another problem is scaling or calcification which is much tougher to remove in a tankless water heater than in a conventional hot water tank, most campground water is pretty hard.

These are all issues you won't find in a residential style water in a home or a conventional hot water tank in an RV, but as I said earlier 'some love 'em'.
If you can't get the kinks worked out ask RiverStone if they can replace the Girard with a conventional hot water tank ;-)
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
A tankless water heater is not for everyone, some love 'em, some hate 'em and for some they simply don't work. Girard has a PDF file online with detailed instructions on how to tweak some settings.
If your incoming water is too cold the tankless water heater can not provide enough BTUs to heat the water to a comfortable temperature, a 90 - 95 deg shower is not comfortable when it's cold outside and 85 deg warm water in the kitchen sink is not acceptable, we didn't by these units to put up with mediocre water temperature.
If you have a washing machine or dishwasher hooked up to hot water forget it, these appliances call for short bursts of hot water and with the inherent time delay of RV style tankless water heaters not compatible and rely on the appliance's built in electric element to heat the water.
A pressure regulator as recommended and used by almost everyone can cause a low flow fault unless the hot water is opened slowly to prevent pressure drop on the sensor.
In campgrounds with low water pressure the tankless water heater may not even turn on at all.
If you need to conserve water when boondocking the tankless water heater is not your friend because of the amount of cold fresh water wasted while it runs through the water heater before the unit turns back on.
If for some reason the flow rate drops below 1/2 gpm in the water heater, maybe because someone opens a cold tap somewhere, flushes the toilet or you simply reduce the water flow to conserve water and the pump starts cycling your hot water is gone.
Another problem is scaling or calcification which is much tougher to remove in a tankless water heater than in a conventional hot water tank, most campground water is pretty hard.

These are all issues you won't find in a residential style water in a home or a conventional hot water tank in an RV, but as I said earlier 'some love 'em'.
If you can't get the kinks worked out ask RiverStone if they can replace the Girard with a conventional hot water tank ;-)
Zowie. Sounds like you really have an axe to grind. Most of the problems you describe are far fetched, or just incorrect. Especially the input water diatribe.

We stay where outside temps are in the 20s and have no water heating problems. We do this by lowering the flow rate. Of course the resulting shower is less forceful, but Oxygenics shower head helps there.

For campgrounds with low pressure, we just use the fresh tank/pump. No problem.

Our 'delay' time for hot water is exactly the same as when we had a tank. Just depends on distance from heater to faucet.

As far as using more water; another myth. We boondock 80% of the time and use the same 100 gallons per week that we did with a tank.

As far as calcification being worse, that's a new one on me

Are on demand water heaters perfect? No. Same as tank heaters have their drawbacks. But after six years with our on demand Girard gen 1, our next RV WILL have a tankless. I'm liking the advancements in the RV on demand types made by Truma. Might try one of those next
Old 04-02-2018, 08:46 PM   #36

Nice to hear some positives, have tankless at home , I know it is different than the rv, we r use to it at home and I think it will work out once we get use to it just like at home it will take a while to figure it out, once you do this you will enjoy it!
GFAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:46 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Zowie. Sounds like you really have an axe to grind. Most of the problems you describe are far fetched, or just incorrect. Especially the input water diatribe.

We stay where outside temps are in the 20s and have no water heating problems. We do this by lowering the flow rate. Of course the resulting shower is less forceful, but Oxygenics shower head helps there.

For campgrounds with low pressure, we just use the fresh tank/pump. No problem.

Our 'delay' time for hot water is exactly the same as when we had a tank. Just depends on distance from heater to faucet.

As far as using more water; another myth. We boondock 80% of the time and use the same 100 gallons per week that we did with a tank.

As far as calcification being worse, that's a new one on me

Are on demand water heaters perfect? No. Same as tank heaters have their drawbacks. But after six years with our on demand Girard gen 1, our next RV WILL have a tankless. I'm liking the advancements in the RV on demand types made by Truma. Might try one of those next
I knew you'd disagree.
I bet even well water is around 60F where you are, here it is 35F - 37F year round, even municipal water is below 45ish and that's too cold for these small heaters.
What scaling concerns, just ask any plumber.
Even FR is aware of these limitations or else they wouldn't have easily agreed to swap ours and several others out.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:14 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
I knew you'd disagree.
I bet even well water is around 60F where you are, here it is 35F - 37F year round, even municipal water is below 45ish and that's too cold for these small heaters.
. I know some folks have actual problems with on demand, but others are just not willing to get through the learning curve of using them.

As far as the input water temps, just because we live in a very warm climate, doesn't mean we always camp here

Mainly, when I see an on demand thread being piled on by folks with negative comments, I try to offer the other side of the story for others researching on demands. As you can tell, I think on demand is the second best RV option, after hydraulic Level Up
Old 04-02-2018, 10:56 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
. I know some folks have actual problems with on demand, but others are just not willing to get through the learning curve of using them.

As far as the input water temps, just because we live in a very warm climate, doesn't mean we always camp here

Mainly, when I see an on demand thread being piled on by folks with negative comments, I try to offer the other side of the story for others researching on demands. As you can tell, I think on demand is the second best RV option, after hydraulic Level Up
This has nothing to do with not willing to learn, I've been around tankless water heaters for 50! years and know how they work.
When we bought this trailer the salesman confirmed the rumors I heard about RV on demand water heaters and he promised RiverStone would replace the unit with a conventional hot water tank if we couldn't make it work which was confirmed by the GM and later approved by RiverStone. We agreed to try it out for a few weeks which we did, the dealership has since stopped bringing RVs in with tankless water heaters.

P.s.: I wish our daytime highs were in the 20s
Old 04-03-2018, 06:20 AM   #40

We have had our RS now for it's 3rd season and have been happy with the tank less system and have not had any issues with it, but starting this year the water seems to be only the hottest in the shower but it's cold out and the water coming in is colder. I hope when things warm up it settles back to what we are use to, am I missing something that needs adjusted or tweaked, I did raise the control setting on the panel in the bathroom.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, tank, tankless, water, water heater