Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2020, 03:57 PM   #1

IS or not

Is spending an extra 5k and having to custom order a must have for the independent suspension option?

I mean is IS worth it?
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #2
Always Learning

How much do you plan to travel?
Old 02-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #3

If I had the money I would retrofit my 38FB. I have spoken to a number of IS owners and they all have very positive comments.

I've been told the towing experience is much better than the 8 K axles especially on rough roads.

$5,000 seems to be a fair investment and the IS should increase the resale value down the road.
2018 Ram DRW, long box, Aisin, 4:10
B & W Companion
Albertaslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:22 PM   #4

If you drive allot, it is. Add disc brakes when you do it. I've had IS two fifth wheels and my stuff inside generally stays put.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:17 AM   #5

We have an October appointment to have IS installed on our '16 38FB. Made the appointment at the Tampa show. After breaking two shackle bolts, I've decided that the money spent is worth not worrying about them again. And before someone mentions being over weight on the axles, I'm less than the 16K that they are rated for.
BessieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:21 PM   #6

I was hoping you talk me out of it

Nobody stocks units with IS, so I will order one and wait 3 to 4 months.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:46 PM   #7

You can look at Roadmaster Slipper Springs and Comfort Ride shocks as an alternative. We upgraded the suspension on our 2018 FB2 last year. Definitely have noticed an improvement in the ride in the truck as well as reducing the earthquake effect in the trailer especially on the sporty areas on I-10 in TX and LA. Installed $$ approximately $2,300. Takes about 6 hours to complete, very happy with ours.
Fishrsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrsafe View Post
You can look at Roadmaster Slipper Springs and Comfort Ride shocks as an alternative. We upgraded the suspension on our 2018 FB2 last year. Definitely have noticed an improvement in the ride in the truck as well as reducing the earthquake effect in the trailer especially on the sporty areas on I-10 in TX and LA. Installed $$ approximately $2,300. Takes about 6 hours to complete, very happy with ours.

Thanks for the idea. We are ordering a new 5ver and it has Dexter ez flex axles standard or the Morryde independent suspension as an option from the factory. I'm going to go with IS from the factory.