Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2019, 06:50 PM   #1

Keeping holding tanks from freezing in Winter Full time RVing

Hello, this is my first thread on this forum. My wife and I full time RV in our 2020 Riverstone 38FB2. My question is when running the furnace does any of the heat from the furnace keep the tanks warm? Do I need to run the furnace in conjunction with the heating pads? I'm trying to understand how the warming system works for holding tanks. Are they only warmed by the heating pads? Thank you all in advance...this is a very good forum.
Cummins0867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #2

Running the furnace in my 2016 38FB keeps the tanks warm. Had the galley tank grey valve freeze while using just the heat pump and fireplace. Running the furnace thawed it in about 30 minutes.
BessieHunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BessieHunter View Post
Running the furnace in my 2016 38FB keeps the tanks warm. Had the galley tank grey valve freeze while using just the heat pump and fireplace. Running the furnace thawed it in about 30 minutes.

Do you have heating pads too? If so do you run them the same time as you run your furnace?
Old 12-06-2019, 08:33 PM   #4

I didn’t think you had an option to run (not run) the tank heaters; I thought they were always on. Is that not the case? If not, how do you turn them on/off?

Running the furnace heats the lower belly as well as the basement in ours.

2020 Riverstone 39FK
2016 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L PowerStroke Lariat
Jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1521 View Post
I didn’t think you had an option to run (not run) the tank heaters; I thought they were always on. Is that not the case? If not, how do you turn them on/off?

Running the furnace heats the lower belly as well as the basement in ours.
You turn them on the through the control panel one the tank monitor screen. The furnace does heat the upper portion of the tank not the under portion...as I'm told by my dealer. Also the furnace also keep the lines from freezing as they don't have heaters on them.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins0867 View Post
You turn them on the through the control panel one the tank monitor screen. The furnace does heat the upper portion of the tank not the under portion...as I'm told by my dealer. Also the furnace also keep the lines from freezing as they don't have heaters on them.
Well, I’m enjoying a good laugh at my own expense.

I’ve seen that control button since Day 1 - and was convinced that was my tankless hot water heater switch! Labeled “Water Tank Heater”.

Priceless.

2020 Riverstone 39FK
Old 12-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1521 View Post
Well, I’m enjoying a good laugh at my own expense.

I’ve seen that control button since Day 1 - and was convinced that was my tankless hot water heater switch! Labeled “Water Tank Heater”.

Priceless.

I was told to ensure no freeze ups of the tankless hot water heater to run the knob in the "Eco mode"....This keep the water at 111 degrees and the lines that are close to the outside from freezing up. Then before I use the shower I tun the tankless knob down one setting to full on...then switch back to eco after I'm done showering. In the summer its off most of the time.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Hello, this is my first thread on this forum. My wife and I full time RV in our 2020 Riverstone 38FB2. My question is when running the furnace does any of the heat from the furnace keep the tanks warm? Do I need to run the furnace in conjunction with the heating pads? I'm trying to understand how the warming system works for holding tanks. Are they only warmed by the heating pads? Thank you all in advance...this is a very good forum.
My water tank and holding tanks have heating pads which will keep them from freezing. All of the fresh water pipes are situated around the water heater so they stay warm enough when furnace and hot water tank are on. The problem you may run into is the holding tank outlets freezing up ( near the discharge connections) to remedy this I pour a few cups of windshield washer antifreeze or RV antifreeze into sink and toilet occasionally just for peace of mind, not too much as to disrupt campground septic fields.

Also keep a few cupboard doors open around the bathroom and kitchen sink to keep the pipes warm. An outside shower may create a freezing problem so I installed a shut off valve, in my case in the bathroom.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #9

I was wondering as I have the rocker switch too. It says "water tank heater" (not tanks) . So do all the tanks have a heating pad or just one?

Where ever you go there you are
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyer View Post
I was wondering as I have the rocker switch too. It says "water tank heater" (not tanks) . So do all the tanks have a heating pad or just one?
I was told by the dealer that each tank has its own heating pad...but all are controlled by the same on/off switch.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyer View Post
USUALLY------ there is a heater pad on each tank, Fresh, Gray, and Black water tanks. Also, an "Elbow Heater" right at the exit of the gray and black water tanks. Tank heater pads are good sized rectangles and the elbow heaters are narrower "strips" with ends pointed so they can more easily fit any contour in the pipe.

Like I said, "Usually" and that's the way mine was shipped. Larger tanks may have more than one heater pad.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #12

Quote:
I was told by the dealer that each tank has its own heating pad...but all are controlled by the same on/off switch.
That makes sense. If you need it on for one, you probably would need it on for all anyways. As I recall from the Riverstone fabrication video, they are 12vdc pads that are stuck on to each tank individually.

2020 Riverstone 39FK
Old 12-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Cummins, looks like you got it all figured out, however when the temperature drops too low there is a good chance that the blade valves freeze up, also the water supply line from the tank to the pump can freeze too, we had ours wrapped in heat tape after the first winter, no more issues not even in -45° weather.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, winter