Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2022, 03:02 PM   #1

Landing gear extending during travel

I have a 2021 Riverstone Legacy 39RKFB fifthwheel with the Lippert 6 point level up system and LCI One Control. My landing gear extends during travel and made contact with the road this last trip. Luckily I caught it and was able to retract them before major damage. The front left and right jacks are the only ones extending. This last towing, I had them secured to the frame with a 750 lbs d ring and a 185 lbs eye bolt. The metal eye bolts were straightened out by the down force. Lippert thinks the front jacks may be leaking internally. The resevore is full and no external oil. To me the only way for these jacks to extend while pinned is if the system/pump is being energized intermittantly. I disconnected the pump power during my last hr of tow and they stayed in the retracted pisition. Anybody else have this issue? Keep on eye if you have this system (which you do) this has happened 4 times.
KhamisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 03:34 PM   #2

I saw a YouTube video about this problem. Another fifth wheel owner (different brand) had the same issue. Lippert told them how to test the system, determined that the jacks were defective, and sent replacement jacks under warranty. Check out this video and the following one that shows the repair: https://youtu.be/mbeeBVclTr0
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 04:40 PM   #3

Thanks. I did contact Lippert and had a hydraulic rv repair come and troubleshoot. The consensus seems to be the landing gear so i have ordered both left and right from Lippert. Took them 4 weeks to ship. I will have them replaced hopefully next week. Still thinking that may not be all of the issue since they extend while traveling and to extend with such force to straighten the 2 eye bolts I had secured them with in the retracted position. The RV is out of warranty so this trouble shooting is at my expense. I just want others to be aware of this defect as results could be catostrophic.
Old 03-19-2022, 10:11 AM   #4

Misery loves company. We went through the same experience on our 2020. We bought ours used (it was only 3 months old) and on our way home from the dealer both dropped in transit. We took it right back to the dealer as they had a 3-month warranty. They didn't drop too far on the way back so it wasn't a disaster. They did all kinds of tests on the phone with Lippert and determined it was a leaking solenoid. We picked it back up a week later and everything worked normally...for about 24 hours. We were day #2 into an 18 day 4,000 mile trip out west and both dropped again. We couldn't keep them up and one starting hitting the ground. On the road side with Lippert tech support which I give them credit for trying but no solution other than physical removal. On Riverstone's it's nearly impossible to get access to the bolts let alone on the side of the road! I'm fairly mechanically inclined and knew NOT to de pressurize the system as that would potentially let the slides walk out without pressure since the system is tied together. In the end we turned around, aborted the vacation and kept pulling over and retracting and eventually they stopped coming down too far and we were able to get back to the dealer. We had about an inch clearance from the road!!

The dealer was great. They ended up replacing both front landing gear, blead the entire system to remove any debris and everything worked once the work was completed. Under warrantee still thank goodness as the invoice was $2,700. We took several trips, did maybe 15 setups and tear downs before it RETURNED again. This time I only noticed it at a fuel stop as one of the snap pads was gone and the gear was hitting the road on bumps! By now I had really read up on the system and it's design. I learned that one culprit can be over extending the landing gear then putting out all the sides. The last campground we stayed at wasn't very level and the gear was really extended. At the truck stop I put the gear down and took weight off the truck. I extended and retracted all the slides a few times and moved the landing gear up and down. After all that we crossed our fingers and hit the road. Since that last experience it's been acting normal again. This is across maybe another 15 setups/tear downs. Even with a full reservoir I think some how air gets into the system sometimes. Cycling everything a few times bleeds it out. Just a theory. The other four leveling gears and three hydraulic slides have never had a hiccup, only the landing gear.

The conclusion is the Lippert system is a poor design and isn't fail safe like other systems used on motorhome with retracting springs. If you loose a seal, have a leak in a solenoid or get air in the system the landing gear is coming down. Straps don't work since the pressure is so high.

Good luck and I hope you don't keep experiencing it after having the work done.
MADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhamisV View Post
Thanks. I did contact Lippert and had a hydraulic rv repair come and troubleshoot. The consensus seems to be the landing gear so i have ordered both left and right from Lippert. Took them 4 weeks to ship. I will have them replaced hopefully next week. Still thinking that may not be all of the issue since they extend while traveling and to extend with such force to straighten the 2 eye bolts I had secured them with in the retracted position. The RV is out of warranty so this trouble shooting is at my expense. I just want others to be aware of this defect as results could be catostrophic.
Iím with you.. that is a significant amount of force that I would not expect if the rams were just leaking downÖ. Is that symptom just being ignored by Lippert?

If the motor is coming on during travel (bumping down the road) it must be getting intermittent commands from the landing gear control either the push pad or I think you might have the command control or something like that.

I donít have the command control system but just asking. Is there a remote that could be activated by accident. In your pocket on a cell phone or in the rv bouncing about?

Before I installed the new landing gear I would make sure the I eliminate the control of the landing gear. You might be able to return them if you find another cause.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 11:19 AM   #6

Landing gear

Sounds as though something is commanding the pump to turn on and thus the extension is taking place.

Now here is where it gets funny. Sounds like an RFI issue that is activating the controller. Maybe your own CB or a nearby CB transmitting nearby could be the cause.

It can be solved, but first one needs to know exactly the source of the RFI. Then apply torroid filters to the electrical lines to and from the controller. This requires a lot of detective work by someone very knowledgeable in RFI issues. RV places won't have a clue, as many RV techs are not knowledgeable in this discipline. Chances are it will require a custom and specific approach to resolving. NO, one can't just buy a filter and install it.

The parts to resolve could be less than $10. However, the skill and knowledge to find and resolve the matter could be $$$$$!

Bob, K4TAX
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
Sounds as though something is commanding the pump to turn on and thus the extension is taking place.

Now here is where it gets funny. Sounds like an RFI issue that is activating the controller. Maybe your own CB or a nearby CB transmitting nearby could be the cause.

It can be solved, but first one needs to know exactly the source of the RFI. Then apply torroid filters to the electrical lines to and from the controller. This requires a lot of detective work by someone very knowledgeable in RFI issues. RV places won't have a clue, as many RV techs are not knowledgeable in this discipline. Chances are it will require a custom and specific approach to resolving. NO, one can't just buy a filter and install it.

The parts to resolve could be less than $10. However, the skill and knowledge to find and resolve the matter could be $$$$$!

Bob, K4TAX
Funny, I was starting to think that with either the One Control of the Fire Fly system something might be sending a false message to activate the jacks, our River Stone is old fashion without any of that fancy electronics stuff which i am very happy to be without, but will follow along to hopefully see what the outcome might be.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 12:30 PM   #8

Sorry to hear you had/have a problem with your lippert system as well. It seems we are not alone and lippert is aware of these front landing gear extending while traveling. I dont think they are openly admitting to it but it sounds as they should put a notice or recall out. If these hit the ground while traveling, someone could be harmed or even killed. I am still going to strap them down and remove the positive wire from the pump so I can maybe eleminate the theory of the pump being energized uncommanded.
Old 03-19-2022, 12:37 PM   #9

I am going to see if I disconnect the positive wire from the pump during my next trip and the gear doesnt extend during travel, I will install an on/off switch at the pump. This will eliminate power to the pump and will only need it energized when extending or retracting the hyd system. I do not have a CB. Hopefully this will stop the landing gear from extending during travel.
Old 03-19-2022, 12:49 PM   #10

Quote:
I am going to see if I disconnect the positive wire from the pump during my next trip and the gear doesnt extend during travel, I will install an on/off switch at the pump. This will eliminate power to the pump and will only need it energized when extending or retracting the hyd system. I do not have a CB. Hopefully this will stop the landing gear from extending during travel.
That sounds like an excellent trial. I would strap the gear with enough slack to see if they extend but not enough that they will strike the ground. Itís hard to drive and monitor them constantlyÖ. Let us know your results..

Old 03-19-2022, 01:37 PM   #11

I should be able to see if they have extended with the way I am going to secure them. I will post my results (Pennsacola Fl to Baton Rouge La, about 4 -6 hrs). Hopefully lippert will change their design before somebody gets hurt or worse.
Old 03-19-2022, 01:38 PM   #12

Not just the landing gear

We have the same issue happening to us on the last 2 trips. 2020 RKFB.... In our case it seems to be the door side rear jack. There's a gremlin somewhere. Although for us it has been irregular. I think there may be something to the theory of having had Jack's extended almost full length though. Because it has only happened to us after overnight stops when we don't deploy our blocks and stay attached to truck. Makes me think a check valve may not be seating after retraction.
FarisWheels RV Journeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 02:23 PM   #13

I always use blocks under all my jacks in order to reduce rv shake and give more stability. I hate the inside shake/movement when someone is walking on the inside of my Riverstone. Hopefully by killing power to the pump eleminates them from extending during travel. I will post my results as this would be the cheapest fix. Have you contacted Lippert about your jacks extending during travel? This should be a safety recall.
Old 03-19-2022, 04:45 PM   #14

And then there are those of us that have used hydraulic Lippert auto level systems for years and never had a leak down. I would think that would be the majority.
Every gradual leak down I have read about has been resolved by replacing the valve controlling the jacks or the jacks themselves.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 05:20 PM   #15

Nmwildcat, one of the purposes of this post was to inforn others, there may be an issue. I have had fifthwheels for over 30 years. Elec and hyd. Never had an issue. Remember the space shuttle flew for many years but only blew up twice. Point being, things fail.
Old 03-19-2022, 05:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Nmwildcat, one of the purposes of this post was to inforn others, there may be an issue. I have had fifthwheels for over 30 years. Elec and hyd. Never had an issue. Remember the space shuttle flew for many years but only blew up twice. Point being, things fail.
I agree completely.
But one can also get the impression from this thread that it is a common problem, which it is not.
Please post back if the replacements fix the problem.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 06:44 PM   #17

Well out of the responders from this thread, 2 have had problems and one directs you to a thread where they were having a problem with the landing gear coming down. Sounds like a problem to me and this is only FR. I will post on this thread if the replacements fix this problem. These landing gears should not be failing only after a year and a half.
Old 03-19-2022, 06:55 PM   #18

Maybe not out of warranty

Quote:
Thanks. I did contact Lippert and had a hydraulic rv repair come and troubleshoot. The consensus seems to be the landing gear so i have ordered both left and right from Lippert. Took them 4 weeks to ship. I will have them replaced hopefully next week. Still thinking that may not be all of the issue since they extend while traveling and to extend with such force to straighten the 2 eye bolts I had secured them with in the retracted position. The RV is out of warranty so this trouble shooting is at my expense. I just want others to be aware of this defect as results could be catastrophic.
Maybe not out of warranty. While the Forest River warranty is only one year (and not transferrable), the jacks are also warranted by Lippert, and they have a pretty good reputation for taking care of their customers. You won't know what they will do for you until you ask.

Same goes for all the other 3rd party components. e.g., range, water heater, furnace, air conditioner, etc. Always ask.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 06:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Well out of the responders from this thread, 2 have had problems and one directs you to a thread where they were having a problem with the landing gear coming down. Sounds like a problem to me and this is only FR. I will post on this thread if the replacements fix this problem. These landing gears should not be failing only after a year and a half.
I hope you donít replace the gears until you determine they are the real culprit. Do your test with disconnecting motor first to see if rams still extend on travel. Bent eyebolts take a lot of pressure..

Old 03-19-2022, 06:57 PM   #20

Leakdown? No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
And then there are those of us that have used hydraulic Lippert auto level systems for years and never had a leak down. I would think that would be the majority.
Every gradual leak down I have read about has been resolved by replacing the valve controlling the jacks or the jacks themselves.
A leakdown is not going to produce enough force to straighten steel eye bolts. The pump has got to be running, with valves set for DOWN.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel