Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2018, 04:07 PM   #1

Leaking Bedroom Slide Cylinder

New problem...below is a picture of the bedroom slide cylinder that apparently has a damaged shaft seal, since it is leaking hydraulic fluid (note the red drops on the cylinder shaft) and leaking fluid all over the floor below.

Have sent a note to RiverStone warranty, but they are currently closed for inventory until Monday. Will try and arrange another trip to the Shipshewana RV repair shop to have it resolved (will probably have to replace the cylinder and parts of the floor???). That will also give them a chance to work on the Furrion stove, since the LH burner does not light with the igniter (they didn't get to that this past fall).

Anyway, heads up whenever you are looking underneath your bed.

Noel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaking Bedroom Slide Cylinder.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	192412  
2 Hobie Inflatable Kayaks
millman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:34 PM   #2

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll add it to the list of things to check. There seems to be some commonality to some of these issues. Most are related to vendor parts but not all. A good hydraulic shop can also replace these seals, the trick is getting it out.

Best of luck with it and happy camping!
jacgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #3
Coach

Not trying to be a smart alec, but have you verified it's the seal leaking and not a loose hose? That would at least be a simple fix.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacgec View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I’ll add it to the list of things to check. There seems to be some commonality to some of these issues. Most are related to vendor parts but not all. A good hydraulic shop can also replace these seals, the trick is getting it out.

Best of luck with it and happy camping!

I agree with you on the commonality of the majority of these issues, the dealer replaced one hydraulic ram on the Level Up on our trailer right after they took delivery. Then another cylinder started leaking under the dining room slide, it's a little more than sweating but still. RiverStone doesn't want them repaired only replaced, especially under warranty and my understanding is that the rings and other parts are somewhat proprietary and not stocked by hydraulic shops. That is if they can even be serviced.

IMHO, this is a Lippert QC problem and unacceptable. Building hydraulic rams the right way is not rocket science but fixing problems related to poor workmanship is very costly considering the amount of labour involved.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:42 PM   #5

I had two leaking rams on my 2018 Cardinal. Both at the seals and both replaced under warranty. I checked the bedroom ram and so far so good.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #6

I had the bed slide and dining slide rams replaced on my 2017 FB. Both failed within a day of each other and after the warranty had expired.

I discovered the hydraulic issue when both slides slide opened while towing.
Quite exciting at highway speed during the morning commute.

My dealership replaced them at no charge. They told me that the Lippert rams are marginal at best and internal components can't be replaced and no hydraulic repair shop will touch them.

Good luck with your repairs.
2018 Ram DRW, long box, Aisin, 4:10
B & W Companion
Albertaslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaslim View Post
I had the bed slide and dining slide rams replaced on my 2017 FB. Both failed within a day of each other and after the warranty had expired.

I discovered the hydraulic issue when both slides slide opened while towing.
Quite exciting at highway speed during the morning commute.

My dealership replaced them at no charge. They told me that the Lippert rams are marginal at best and internal components can't be replaced and no hydraulic repair shop will touch them.

Good luck with your repairs.

Sorry, this is totally of topic but I couldn't resist .

The year was 2002 or 2003, we purchased a brand new Vanguard Legend 5th wheel with 2 slides at Trailblazer RV in South Edmonton, went south to Calgary and then east on the Trans Canada toward Regina. Somewhere east of Swift, I look in the mirror and there goes the bedroom slide 3' - 4' out - holy smokes let me tell you . The wife and I pushed the slide back in, which was a major PITA as it already separated from the track, and then secured it with some wood screws. All this on the side of the highway that was still single lane in each direction. Went to a dealership in Moose Jaw only to learn that Peak Manufacturing in North Battleford just went belly up and I would be on my own only weeks after purchasing a $50,000 trailer. Yes, this dumb ass (me) did not check on the good standing of the manufacturer.

The repair was rather simple and took me less than 2 hours but not even a word of sympathy from Trailblazer. Went back to them a couple years later, dealt on a $100,000 trailer and walked away after telling the GM how I was treated a few years prior and therefor couldn't trust them not only regarding the slide but a whole lot of other serious problems incl. but not limited to a dropped out water tank, burned to a crisp! reading lights over the bed and a sidewall separating from the rest of the trailer. The look on his face - priceless. You know the saying: Fool me once .......
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #8

Wow, the horror stories associated with RVs never cease to amaze me.

We must have some special DNA to make us love doing this!

Thanks for the story, makes my flaming wheel not seem so bad!
jacgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:40 PM   #9

Cylinder Replaced

Just got back from the Shipshewana repair center yesterday. They replaced the leaking Lippert bed slide cylinder and floor as well as some carpet. The new floor has a protective covering on it (didn’t look too hard; will look better in the spring). The protective covering felt like it was either plastic or something like Formica (for those who can remember that). Anyway, if this Lippert cylinder starts to leak, at least the plywood floor will be protected.

By the way, that service facility has replaced nine bedroom slide cylinders from Lippert in 2018 on numerous brands.
2 Hobie Inflatable Kayaks
millman75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom slide, king bed, leak, roo, slide