Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #1

Rain Water leaking in

I have a 2017 39fl , this past summer I noticed water on the floor at bottom of entrance door, you could tell that it got the door molding wet and discolored over time! I felt around and could feel a soft spot in floor at the bottom of jam! I checked and caulked around door , this did not fix! Has anyone had this problem? I purchased new in January of 2018, I wonder it Riverstone will help with the cost of repair after I figure out where the water is coming in at!!!
GFAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
Yukon_Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFAR View Post
I have a 2017 39fl , this past summer I noticed water on the floor at bottom of entrance door, you could tell that it got the door molding wet and discolored over time! I felt around and could feel a soft spot in floor at the bottom of jam! I checked and caulked around door , this did not fix! Has anyone had this problem? I purchased new in January of 2018, I wonder it Riverstone will help with the cost of repair after I figure out where the water is coming in at!!!
We had same issue on 2018 FR Toyhauler. Water got in ruined the wood trim around fireplace and cabinet. Dealer replaces seal. They said debris getting under top seal on slide out. A simple twig could get under lip of seal when closing. Then when unit is open water has a nice little path to flow under seal, down side of slide and into coach. Unless you have awning over the slide out, you almost need to use a rag—slide it under the lip of seal and run it the entire length of the slide out. We are investing in the awning that attaches to the slides and automatically opens and closes with slide out movement.
Any other solutions would be greatly appreciated.

R/ Yukonbill
Yukonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the info! This area doesn’t have a slide out
Old 10-23-2019, 10:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the info! This area doesn’t have a slide out
I believe you have 2 slide outs on that side. One in your front living room and the other is the dining slide. I don’t know if water would make it there from the front slide out, but sure could from the dining slide.

Keep us posted!
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaywego View Post
I believe you have 2 slide outs on that side. One in your front living room and the other is the dining slide. I don’t know if water would make it there from the front slide out, but sure could from the dining slide.

Keep us posted!

I do have 2 slide outs on that side don’t see any water around them. The dining area slide is on opposite side of door where water is at, don’t think it is coming from front slide out will look closer!
Thanks for info!
Old 10-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
I do have 2 slide outs on that side don’t see any water around them. The dining area slide is on opposite side of door where water is at, don’t think it is coming from front slide out will look closer!
Thanks for info!

I thought a couple pictures would help!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2033.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	217904Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2034.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	217905
Old 10-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #7

You are going to have to try and isolate the problem.
What I would do..
Open the sliding panel behind that wall, in the pass through, and find out if water is there too.
Get someone reliable on the roof and make sure everything is presently sealed properly.
Then:
Need a 50 foot garden hose.
Close up everything including the slides.
Spray around the door ( nothing else ) with the same or a little bit more pressure than your rain gives. Check for water intrusion. You probably should wait 1/2 hour or more to allow the water to migrate.
No water ?
Spray Around the window next to the door. Check for water .....
No water yet? Open the LR slide. Wait at least an hour after spraying this area.
Make sure to check inside the pass through for water.
Pass through baggage doors leaking?
Keep on going til you find it.

Keep us posted!
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaywego View Post
You are going to have to try and isolate the problem.

What I would do..

Open the sliding panel behind that wall, in the pass through, and find out if water is there too.

Get someone reliable on the roof and make sure everything is presently sealed properly.

Then:

Need a 50 foot garden hose.

Close up everything including the slides.

Spray around the door ( nothing else ) with the same or a little bit more pressure than your rain gives. Check for water intrusion. You probably should wait 1/2 hour or more to allow the water to migrate.

No water ?

Spray Around the window next to the door. Check for water .....

No water yet? Open the LR slide. Wait at least an hour after spraying this area.

Make sure to check inside the pass through for water.

Pass through baggage doors leaking?

Keep on going til you find it.

Keep us posted!

Will do! I also got receptacle to right of door on outside same side as leak I have look at but haven’t taken out to check for damage , and light over top of door will check as well got a lot to look at!
Old 10-24-2019, 05:54 AM   #9

Here’s what we do in the sailing world. Close everything up tight, sealing all hatches. Find a way to put a leaf blower in a small opening and seal the gaps around it. Put soapy water on the roof making sure all seals are especially wet. Go on the roof and have someone turn on the blower. Look for soap bubbles. There’s your leak.
This method works quite well on boats. I can’t imagine it wouldn’t work in the RV world.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:05 AM   #10

^^^^^ this exactly, located a leak in my 6X12 enclosed trailer using a small shop vac. Took less than 5 minutes to find.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
^^^^^ this exactly, located a leak in my 6X12 enclosed trailer using a small shop vac. Took less than 5 minutes to find.
I think the shop vac might be a be better idea than a leaf blower. Too much pressure could cause more problems. Basically you just want some positive pressure in the unit.
So... smaller is probably better in this case.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
I think the shop vac might be a be better idea than a leaf blower. Too much pressure could cause more problems. Basically you just want some positive pressure in the unit.
So... smaller is probably better in this case.
You can control it a little bit by allowing a little airflow to escape, like you said you just need a little positive pressure.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:59 AM   #13

Trees

I had that same problem. Got a good deal on 2015, probably because of the leak. Prior owner had the dealer re-caulk everything. Didn't help. I had to stand out in heavy rain and to witness what was going on. First the awning clamps on rain gutter restrict gutter severely. We now inspect and keep those two restrictions clean for proper gutter rain water flow. When the gutter was plugged at this restriction the rain water over flowed to valley of gutter fabric. You will notice the awning has a natural valley/gutter path following higher trailer rain gutter. In a heavy rain this happens and will create a river of water that dumps on your window.

Still wouldn't be a large problem if for a defect in window frame. The frame has two end milled slots at the bottom to weep out rain falling on window. This prevents bottom window track/groove from overflowing and entering your trailer. Note on my trailer their is a side table flush with sidewall. The leaking rain water hits that table and usually flows to floor and from that can flow just about anywhere if floor is not absolutely level. The defect? both slots were partially or completely blocked because the machining operator failed to set his tool deep enough to break through backside. So, just a slot that had good intentions but failed to drain rain water. I just wonder how many of these roof leaks are side window leaks? Its been a three years and absolutely no leaks. Just take a dremel with their 1/8" end mill tool. Be careful as the tool will bite and pull your hand to make a gouge.
trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:53 AM   #14

I had trouble with rain water getting in the BACK RAMP door of my 26RR grey Wolf .. I added a EZ to install 3M stick on Rain gutter above the door Fixed the problem.. From Amazon..

Essential Products BL01002 Black 10' EZE RV Gutter
by Essential Products
Price: $21.32 & FREE Shipping
2013 Honda F6B
530 Watts Solar roof Mt, 2000 watt Sine Wave Inverter Goodyear Endurance
89 days camped 2019, 81 days in 2020, 74 days 2021, 103 days 2022
Bob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
You can control it a little bit by allowing a little airflow to escape, like you said you just need a little positive pressure.

Can you explain a little more how this works! Not real sure I understand how this works , does it just blow water soap in?
Old 10-24-2019, 07:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Can you explain a little more how this works! Not real sure I understand how this works , does it just blow water soap in?

Here is what I did. worth every penny.
https://rvleaks.com/testing-locations/
Good luck

Legacy C38. 2018.
South Texas.
SPCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCF View Post
Here is what I did. worth every penny.
https://rvleaks.com/testing-locations/
Good luck

About how much does it cost! There is a testing area about 1 hour from me!
Old 10-24-2019, 08:44 PM   #18

Quote:
You’re blowing air into the RV through a window, a door or some other opening while all other openings are closed. This pressurizes the area. The air will escape through any cracks. The soapy water will blow bubbles. The gas company checks for leaky fittings using the same principle. You’re not blowing soap into the RV. The air is blowing bubbles out of leaky areas.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:13 PM   #19

Quote:
About how much does it cost! There is a testing area about 1 hour from me!

Give them a call, it may vary with the size of your unit.

The good about it is that it will find all the leaks in the unit, cheaper than any repair if water continue to get in and you only find out after all is rotten.

In my case I found 2 major leaks on a less than 1 year old coach, on in the mirrors and the other in the awning wire feed.
I also found that every window leaked a lot so I fixed the seals around it.

Legacy C38. 2018.
South Texas.
SPCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:29 PM   #20

I sent them an email tonight, maybe hear something tomorrow!
Thanks fo info

Tags
leak, water, water leak