Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2019, 09:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
You’re blowing air into the RV through a window, a door or some other opening while all other openings are closed. This pressurizes the area. The air will escape through any cracks. The soapy water will blow bubbles. The gas company checks for leaky fittings using the same principle. You’re not blowing soap into the RV. The air is blowing bubbles out of leaky areas.

U put soapy water around areas that u think is leaking, blow in through window I guess with plastic around to seal,what about big area inside, I understand close slides, doors, windows, do you have to try to seal other areas with plastic to keep air in smaller area
GFAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:24 AM   #22

Rain Water leaking in

Think of your RV as a balloon. A BIG balloon. That’s why I initially said leaf blower. But you really don’t need a tremendous amount of pressure inside for the excess air to come out through the leaking seams in the roof. That escaping air will blow bubbles. Close all windows and exterior doors before turning the blower on. And by all I mean every last window and door. You should only need plastic to seal the opening where the blower goes in.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:42 AM   #23

Rain Water leaking in

I edited my previous post to say close all exterior doors. You don’t need to close interior doors.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:16 AM   #24

Quote:
I edited my previous post to say close all exterior doors. You don’t need to close interior doors.

I got you! If it is not on roof will it still work?
Old 10-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFAR View Post
I got you! If it is not on roof will it still work?
Yep. Just climb up on the ground and soap up from underneath. Do you have a ladder that short?
Old 10-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #26

Quote:
Yep. Just climb up on the ground and soap up from underneath. Do you have a ladder that short?

Lol! I was talking about around door, outside lights, etc.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Lol! I was talking about around door, outside lights, etc.
Yep. Should work just about anywhere there’s a leak. And, as an extra added bonus, if you put enough extra pressure you could create some new leaks. (Have your smart phone video camera running.)
Old 10-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #28

Have you checked / caulked where the bright aluminum door sill butts into the side jamb channels? Those are notorious leakers.
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel Swift View Post
Have you checked / caulked where the bright aluminum door sill butts into the side jamb channels? Those are notorious leakers.

Will look at closer, I caulked all around door, outside light, receptacle.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:05 PM   #30

Quote:
I think the shop vac might be a be better idea than a leaf blower. Too much pressure could cause more problems. Basically you just want some positive pressure in the unit.
So... smaller is probably better in this case.

I guess you still put hose in through window and seal around hose with plastic
Old 10-25-2019, 07:00 PM   #31

Quote:
I guess you still put hose in through window and seal around hose with plastic
Yep
Old 10-25-2019, 09:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Yep

Thanks for your help, heard this before but didn’t know how it worked! How do you know when it has built up enough pressure to do any good?
I heard from rv dealer today that he could run the test on if I bring it a day early and it would cost $425 to check an isolated area! It includes diagnostic charges and prices could vary!
I have seal around door, light, receptacle, looked at roof area above door! I’m just trying to solve problem without spending a lot right now!
Old 10-26-2019, 07:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Thanks for your help, heard this before but didn’t know how it worked! How do you know when it has built up enough pressure to do any good?
I heard from rv dealer today that he could run the test on if I bring it a day early and it would cost $425 to check an isolated area! It includes diagnostic charges and prices could vary!
I have seal around door, light, receptacle, looked at roof area above door! I’m just trying to solve problem without spending a lot right now!
If your plastic is bulging AT ALL you have enough pressure to blow bubbles. Think about how hard you blow into the little wand to blow bubbles with your kids. It doesn’t take much pressure at all.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #34

Quote:
If your plastic is bulging AT ALL you have enough pressure to blow bubbles. Think about how hard you blow into the little wand to blow bubbles with your kids. It doesn’t take much pressure at all.

Just don’t want to get to much pressure! That wouldn’t be good at all!
Old 10-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #35

GFAR
The water could be entering any place above where you notice the water. It is possible to be coming in from the front or opposite side of the coach and doesn’t reveal itself until where you see it.
I think the soap bubble test is an awesome idea. Although a little awkward you could put vacuum/blower in the stove exhaust or dryer exhaust as they might be easier to seal around the hose. Plug the ones not used for the test. Then walk around with a spray bottle of the soapy and spray with gusto. Start on the roof!
Any roof vent may open enough to screw up the test. May need to seal them from the inside. Depends on amount of pressure. Test a bit.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:43 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaywego View Post
GFAR
The water could be entering any place above where you notice the water. It is possible to be coming in from the front or opposite side of the coach and doesn’t reveal itself until where you see it.
I think the soap bubble test is an awesome idea. Although a little awkward you could put vacuum/blower in the stove exhaust or dryer exhaust as they might be easier to seal around the hose. Plug the ones not used for the test. Then walk around with a spray bottle of the soapy and spray with gusto. Start on the roof!
Any roof vent may open enough to screw up the test. May need to seal them from the inside. Depends on amount of pressure. Test a bit.

Sounds good! Nervous about this!
Old 10-26-2019, 08:50 AM   #37

I am most concerned with the rubber roof coming up.
Have someone up there before turning on the blower.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #38

Remember as others said, you only need enough pressure to blow bubbles which isn’t much.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:00 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaywego View Post
Remember as others said, you only need enough pressure to blow bubbles which isn’t much.

Wow! I haven’t thought about that![emoji107]
Old 10-28-2019, 05:33 AM   #40

You don't need to seal every "normal" leak in your RV, just pressurize it enough to show bubbles. You can use a small lawn sprayer to spray the soapy water. It doesn't matter if you have air coming out the stove vent or other places that aren't sealed you are looking for a leak where it should not be.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak