Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2022, 04:05 PM   #1

reading light switch

Hello all, we are close to buying our first Riverstone Legacy, looking at a 442MC.

I jumped onto the forum to see who else noticed the bizarre light switch set-up for the reading lights in the bedroom.

First off, if you want to read in bed, once you are done and want to turn off the lights you have to get up and walk over to the opposite wall to turn out the lights. that seems ridiculous by itself.

But second, is that on that same "reading light" switch are both reading lights over the bed, as well as 3-4 pucks that are opposite in the bedroom tv/dresser slide ceiling, so basically the entire bedroom is lit up if a reading light is on.

Third, if DW wants to sleep and I want to read or vice versa, no go! Both over head pucks are on.

There should be a multiswitch panel above the bed to control the reading lights, maybe the outside security lights and maybe a master light control.

More over the wiring should be that pucks in the TV/dresser slide are on a separate circuit/switch. and each reading light should be wired to be on individual switches.

Am I the only one thinking this way?
weirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:33 PM   #2

In my RKFB the reading light switch is equally as dumb.

We both get in bed and then i turn off all the lights via my iPad.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #3

Firefly multiswitch

Thanks Michael, I assume it is likely similar across the brand. I figured that their thinking is as you suggest, that those lights could be controlled via the app, but we keep our electronic devices off at night and out of the bedroom.

In the meantime I reached out to a firefly tech that I know and he conformed that an additional multiswitch can be added/installed over the bed. That part would be easy.

sorting out the wiring split up the circuit of all those pucks into 3 separate switches may be a tad more detailed!
weirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:39 AM   #4

I agree about this. I don't understand their thinking to do something like this.

My solution is to buy a battery operated book light for reading. Not ideal, but it will work.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:30 PM   #5

Switch to ebooks. Now I can read w/o using any lights that would disturb her....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Switch to ebooks. Now I can read w/o using any lights that would disturb her....
And an e-books don't pile up on shelves and in drawers when you finish reading them

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, switch