Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2022, 12:16 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 15
Riverstone 42FSKG Delivery Issues

Took delivery of a 2022 Riverstone Legacy 42FSKG on 4/22/2022 from Terrytown RV in Grand Rapids, MI. This is our second rig so we are not newbies. So far this has been a horrendous buying experience. We FT with FHU

THE DETAILS:
- did a walkthru at dealer and got a cursory explanation of systems and a lot of “I don’t knows” from Zach the walk-thru technician. But slides were all open and had the lovely smell of Lysol. Took delivery and drove 6 1/2 hours back our site.
- connected to shore power with supplied power cord using a Power Watchdog 50a Smart Surge Protector. Good power.
- connected to water using a known good pressure regulator into a ClearSource 3 stage filter and then a camco water hose into rig. Installed the little water filter inside rig box. Cleared all lines of antifreeze and no more pink foamy water.

THE MAIN ISSUES:
- at 0400 on the first night whilst we were both sound asleep the bedroom slide fully retracted on its own and is now completely non-operational. We have disconnected all power and battery from rig in an attempt to reset the entire rig to no avail. All other slides and awnings work fine. On the advice of the salesman (not a service tech) I verified the plugs at each top corner of the slide were fully seated and connected. Slide remains fully retracted and not operational.

- the Truma AquaGo on-demand hot water heater provides no hot water at all. Unit ignites and is lit for 30-40 seconds then stops. Repeats every 2-3 minutes. Have verified that LP tanks are full and providing propane. Stove even has clear consistent blue flame. The rotary dial is solid amber in both eco and comfort mode. The green indicator light on unit itself is solid green. Have drained small holding tank on unit and reset with no success. The bathroom faucet gets lukewarm at best, then cold within a minute. The kitchen faucet and shower do not even get lukewarm.

- the Splendide washer on an only cold water setting provides an error code of F8 E1 which according to Splendide means no water flow. Have verified all valves on manifold are open, and even the weirdly located on/off valve in basement under W/D is open. I suspect the valves behind the w/d are in the off position which unfortunately we can not access because the BR slide is stuck in the retracted position.

- the Fisher & Paykel dishwasher will only operate on the rinse cycle which again I suspect is related to the hot water issue. However it seems it should at least attempt to operate on the other cycles.

- the bedroom AC unit with heat pump does not operate on the heat pump setting UNLESS we disconnect all power from rig and it is the only unit to start. Once it’s started and the other AC units come online it works fine but only if it’s the first unit to come online.

THE MINOR ISSUES:
- the Samsung fridge is set so far back into its cubby that the doors do not even open halfway.
- the ceiling fan is poorly installed so that on a high or medium setting it vibrates so badly it loosened the mounting screws and ripped holes in ceiling panel.
- Firefly light switches are grossly mislabeled; example - on the living room slide the switch turns on the kitchen accent lights.
- the external door/cubby for a TV leaks when unit is driven in the rain. Wall panel inside was saturated and standing water in cubby.
- Furrion Vision S camera system only has a cigarette lighter power adaptor and can not be used while rig is stationary yet cameras have power while hooked to shore power as indicated by IR lights working and lit.

We had much higher expectations for a rig at this price point and are sorely disappointed with both Terrytown RV and Forest River’s handling of our concerns and issues. Terrytown seems to think these are Forest River issues (yes, within 48 hours of delivery!!!) and Forest River wants a member number before they’ll even accept a service call; a member number that no one knows about or can even look up btw. Forest River also seems to think these are dealer issues to be resolved.

Emotionally, we are done and over it. We are FTers and this was known by dealership. We traded in our perfectly fine Rogue Armored 383G2 simply to upgrade and the transfer of belongings is a daunting task on a good day let alone a bad day. Being at an impasse or a standstill and unable to move forward has completely soured us on both Terrytown and Forest River. Not so much for the mechanical issues but also because of the IDGAF attitude they seem to have.
OurHappyHomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 02:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 123
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is a shame that you had so many issues with your unit. We pick ours up May 9 and this additional list provides us plenty of things to make sure we check. Several of these things definitely should have been discovered before you took possession, either through the dealership inspection or the PDI. Our PDI was severely insufficient the first purchase we made, but we lucked out in that most everything was good to go. We are going to be much more thorough this time.
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 02:19 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellr View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is a shame that you had so many issues with your unit. We pick ours up May 9 and this additional list provides us plenty of things to make sure we check. Several of these things definitely should have been discovered before you took possession, either through the dealership inspection or the PDI. Our PDI was severely insufficient the first purchase we made, but we lucked out in that most everything was good to go. We are going to be much more thorough this time.
Good luck and please make sure you check all these things and more. The dealership and FR are standing their ground on the “delivery checklist” which we signed blindly trusting them to have completed the items on the list. If I could I would ask to be present when the checklist is completed. Hope your delivery goes better than ours
OurHappyHomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:49 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 7,050
The delivery checklist doesn't have anything to do with the FR warranty on your rig. Your frustration is justified. None of those things should have happened.

You're now in 'warranty service' for your rig and it's possible that the dealer could arrange for a mobile mechanic to come out and fix those problems. I don't think there's a 'member number', but usually they ask for the VIN on the unit.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:10 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
The delivery checklist doesn't have anything to do with the FR warranty on your rig. Your frustration is justified. None of those things should have happened.

You're now in 'warranty service' for your rig and it's possible that the dealer could arrange for a mobile mechanic to come out and fix those problems. I don't think there's a 'member number', but usually they ask for the VIN on the unit.
Agreed on the checklist, it’s just what they seem to be standing on. As for the member # I have not found one person who even knows what this is but we’ve now been asked for it several times. Weird.
OurHappyHomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:07 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 123
Could be they are asking for your FROG member number?
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:27 AM   #7
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 19,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellr View Post
Could be they are asking for your FROG member number?
Why would they? There’s no requirement to join FROG to buy a unit or get service/advice.
__________________
2015 FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135; Booked for 2022 = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:37 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Why would they? There’s no requirement to join FROG to buy a unit or get service/advice.
Oh that could be. I didn’t think of that. I will try it and see and let you know. Thanks.

SMALL UPDATE : Spoke to dealership service manager and she is looking for a tech to come out to us and look at issues, then report to them what needs done. At least we got someone to start to take some action. Finally
OurHappyHomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Why would they? There’s no requirement to join FROG to buy a unit or get service/advice.
Doesn’t make sense to me either but desperate times call for desperate measures
OurHappyHomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 02:46 PM   #10
BMullins46
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lubbock, Texas
Posts: 177
For the OP, you keep referring to Forest River, are you talking to the Riverstone people or are you talking to someone at Forest River headquarters? I believe if you talk to the warranty dept at Riverstone you should have better luck getting thins fixed.
__________________
Bill Mullins
2016 XLR Thunderbolt 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DW 6.7 Power Stroke
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:11 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMullins46 View Post
For the OP, you keep referring to Forest River, are you talking to the Riverstone people or are you talking to someone at Forest River headquarters? I believe if you talk to the warranty dept at Riverstone you should have better luck getting thins fixed.
That my bad, it has been Riverstone folks. I was using the generic FR. Finally today some progress.

UPDATE: Riverstone is sending a tech out Thursday with the direction to “correct any and all errors and get all systems up and running to customers satisfaction”. Truma is overnighting a new hot water heater to me for the tech to install. So moving forward. Just exasperating as all get out to spend this much $$$ and have this many issues to fix.
OurHappyHomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:55 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 123
This is the way it should have happened from the start. Sorry you had this experience, but I am glad they are stepping up to make it right. Gives me a little more comfort. As a current owner of SOB, I will miss SOB customer service but this gives me hope.
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 05:47 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellr View Post
This is the way it should have happened from the start. Sorry you had this experience, but I am glad they are stepping up to make it right. Gives me a little more comfort. As a current owner of SOB, I will miss SOB customer service but this gives me hope.
Agreed. Shouldn’t have had to yell and scream and call down the list of execs at Riverstone and Terrytown to get to this point. As for the dealerships handling of this…poor, sad and pathetic. Would not recommend, Zero Stars
OurHappyHomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:54 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 251
Please keep us posted on how your repairs are being handled. Sucks you had to deal with this, but hopefully Riverstone makes it right for you!
Wumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:27 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 15
UPDATE:

So here’s where things are now;

Slide - Lippert is sending a new control unit for me to swap out with what they think is a bad unit. Easy enough to do and hope this fixes it.

Hot Water - Tech from Riverstone is on his way here to replace hot water heater. Truma overnighted a new unit which has been received. He will swap them out.

AC/HP - basically had to reteach the Firefly control system what was what and once it was re-programmed, no more issues.

W/D - when tech is here he is supposed to evaluate and fix if possible, hopefully a simple kinked hose or the valve is just off (which I simply can’t get to by myself)

Fridge - again, the tech coming here will help (or I’ll help him) put into correct position.

So progress is being made in the right direction. I will say that Riverstone, Truma and Lippert have been fantastic to work with and completely apologetic and doing WHATEVER to make it right.

The people at Terrytown RV of Grand Rapids, MI have been complete and utter jerks. Aside from the service dept who has been working with Riverstone, the rest of them need to just stop working in this industry. The GSM of the entire outfit is lucky I wasn’t in his office when he mouthed off to wifey or he’d have been slapped (ala Will Smith to Chris Rock style). He was rude, condescending and confrontational. His attitude was “tough cookies it’s a Riverstone issue now” and hung up. I will make sure every one I meet knows not to use them. Accidents happen, things get missed, manufacturing no mistakes happen, we get it, but to spend $170,000 and be told “too bad so sad” is uncalled for.

Will post more once repairs are completed. Appreciate all your advice and input so far.
OurHappyHomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:53 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Jim1521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Posts: 201
I have a 2020 39FK and am fortunate that I had very small issues. I'm glad to hear that RS is sending out a technician. Let him take is time to go over the rig. If it doesn't get fixed to your satisfaction, I would get on the road to Indiana to the Riverstone plant and have them work on it. Since you're full timers (as are we) that would be my solution. Check into a hotel for a few days (if you can't stay in the camper) and let them get it right. Good luck with it.
__________________

2020 Riverstone 39FK
2016 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L PowerStroke Lariat
Jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 10:10 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 15
Update part deux:

Good morning all. So here’s the update as of today;

- slide controller and Firefly controller are communicating but appears to be a bad relay within the Firefly controller. Lippert and Firefly are working on solution (probably just replace and reprogram)

- water heater issue is fixed. Turns out the Anderson valve was plumbed backwards and once the tech corrected it we had hot water within minutes.

- the washer/dryer was not related to water heater. The hoses at the d-box inside W/D compartment were kinked at d-box, the washer was sitting on the hot water hose and the connections to the washer itself were not even hand tight. If we had not had kinks we would have flooded.

- ceiling fan backer was not even screwed in, an easy fix for sure. Immediately corrected wobble and vibration.

- fridge needs pulled out and bracket needs lowered. At its current height it’s causing the fridge to tilt backwards causing the rubbing and hitting of the trim. This is on their to-do list

- Riverstone and and Svc Mgr at Terrytown have been fantastic and diligent. The GSM is atrocious and despicable. His actions and demeanor are intolerable.
All of these issues l, save for the slide, would have been caught during the pre-sales delivery inspection and just simply could not have been completed. We actually paid this service fee of $1400 and I feel it was done from a desk without stepping into the unit. This fee was supposed to include, dealer inspection of all systems, de-winterization, cleaning and full propane tanks.

All systems couldn’t have been inspected or these issues would have been noticed immediately. It was not de-winterized as I flushed all the antifreeze from the lines. It was cleaned but a $1400 cleaning fee is steep. Also, I had to refill the propane this morning. You can’t tell me that we used TWO 40lb tanks in 6 days with no working hot water heater. I suspect they were less than a 1/4 full upon delivery as it took a total of 18.1 gal of propane to refill.

All in all, happy with Riverstone and their attention, happy with Terrytown service mgr but the rest of Terrytown up to the GSM can go pound sand.

So thankful for all your comments and suggestions and advice.
OurHappyHomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:03 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
KennyGolub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 987
I understand that the poor water connection for the washer is a common fault found on delivery.

You would think someone at the Riverstone factory would tell the guys/gals that install them. I don't think it's a secret. I heard about it without asking around.

While we were waiting for delivery of our 39RKFB, we were warned to check the connections prior to using the washer. We lucked out, and it was fine. The regular crew must have been off when ours went through that department

.
__________________
Ken & Laurie
2022 Riverstone Legacy 39RKFB
2022 RAM 3500 Laramie Dually
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:08 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
I understand that the poor water connection for the washer is a common fault found on delivery.

You would think someone at the Riverstone factory would tell the guys/gals that install them. I don't think it's a secret. I heard about it without asking around.

While we were waiting for delivery of our 39RKFB, we were warned to check the connections prior to using the washer. We lucked out, and it was fine. The regular crew must have been off when ours went through that department

.

If only I could have gotten to it ?!?! Ha. I think it was installed piece by piece with a shoehorn.
OurHappyHomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:30 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurHappyHomeOnWheels View Post
Good morning all. So here’s the update as of today;

- slide controller and Firefly controller are communicating but appears to be a bad relay within the Firefly controller. Lippert and Firefly are working on solution (probably just replace and reprogram)

- water heater issue is fixed. Turns out the Anderson valve was plumbed backwards and once the tech corrected it we had hot water within minutes.

- the washer/dryer was not related to water heater. The hoses at the d-box inside W/D compartment were kinked at d-box, the washer was sitting on the hot water hose and the connections to the washer itself were not even hand tight. If we had not had kinks we would have flooded.

- ceiling fan backer was not even screwed in, an easy fix for sure. Immediately corrected wobble and vibration.

- fridge needs pulled out and bracket needs lowered. At its current height it’s causing the fridge to tilt backwards causing the rubbing and hitting of the trim. This is on their to-do list

- Riverstone and and Svc Mgr at Terrytown have been fantastic and diligent. The GSM is atrocious and despicable. His actions and demeanor are intolerable.
All of these issues l, save for the slide, would have been caught during the pre-sales delivery inspection and just simply could not have been completed. We actually paid this service fee of $1400 and I feel it was done from a desk without stepping into the unit. This fee was supposed to include, dealer inspection of all systems, de-winterization, cleaning and full propane tanks.

All systems couldn’t have been inspected or these issues would have been noticed immediately. It was not de-winterized as I flushed all the antifreeze from the lines. It was cleaned but a $1400 cleaning fee is steep. Also, I had to refill the propane this morning. You can’t tell me that we used TWO 40lb tanks in 6 days with no working hot water heater. I suspect they were less than a 1/4 full upon delivery as it took a total of 18.1 gal of propane to refill.

All in all, happy with Riverstone and their attention, happy with Terrytown service mgr but the rest of Terrytown up to the GSM can go pound sand.

So thankful for all your comments and suggestions and advice.
This seems to be a common problem. I picked our 391FSK up Feb 28 at National RV in MI. Same type issues with dealership. I refused to pay the $1999.00 dealer prep fee and they finally took it off the PA; (This fee is pure profit for these dealerships, same at car lots). The unit was sitting outside doors open for me to check it out and when I asked the service manager if someone was going to go over the unit with me, he said thats what the video is for. I found some issues and they took note and said they would have to send me the parts.
After leaving the dealership (headed straight to AL), I pulled over because I had a bad feeling. The refrigerator bracket was not installed, none of the sliding doors locked into position, so I corrected then thank goodness. About 50 miles further I had a flat tire. After taking to a tire shop, we find out the “new” tire was plugged! Imagine someone thinking it is ok to plug a 10+ ply tire that holds 85+ psi. That is extremely dangerous. No one to this day claims responsibility and will not cover the cost.
After setting up, the problems started. I ended up fixing 22 of the 25 issues myself, and still waiting on 3 parts from Riverstone. Riverstone has been useless, the vendors I have dealt with have been accommodating but nothing to brag about.
My washer grey tank overflowed because the sensor never worked and I naively thought it was seriesed with grey 2. The drain pipe from the drain box was hand tight and appeared to be an after thought. The sensor was broken offf in the tank, also installed as an after thought because when I got there the insulation was already cut and after installing the new sensor, I can see how that happened. Right next to all of this was the drain pipe for the unit and the hanger not attached to frame. This was because the head snapped off so they just left it (I had to extract and install new).There were many other issues, awning, 6 drawers not sized for the holes they occupied, vaccuum not working, cameras not working, slides not adjusted properly, auto level out of calibration, not de-winterized, etc…
I am disappointed that we spend this much $ on a “quality” product only to find it is rushed out the door just like most of them in the industry, and then they will not help with resolving issues. Very disappointed!
JD Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 PM.