Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2018, 10:25 PM   #1

Riverstone VS DRV

So, I'm participating in a DRV owners group, researching my next (eventually) trailer. One major issue that has come up there is leaking and rotten slide floors.

Have there been any systemic issues with Riverstone's since they started making them? Any leaking issues?
Old 11-19-2018, 10:43 PM   #2

A Riverstone is not on the same level of quality as a DRV. Don't get me wrong they are beautiful rigs, but definitely a notch or two down. I would love to own either, but if cost was no object I would go DRV in a heartbeat. Look at the fit and finish difference between the two and it quickly becomes apparent.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:14 PM   #3

We have a 2017 unit picked up in the summer of 2016, so far no issues like that but did have to have the plastic slide replaced last year under the dining slide due to it started to wave, will watch the replacement to see what happens if it starts again might have it looked at just incase. I know what DRV you are speaking of I saw that also.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:19 AM   #4

DRV vs Riverstone Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
A Riverstone is not on the same level of quality as a DRV. Don't get me wrong they are beautiful rigs, but definitely a notch or two down. I would love to own either, but if cost was no object I would go DRV in a heartbeat. Look at the fit and finish difference between the two and it quickly becomes apparent.
Just curious, but construction wise (frame, walls, roof construction, and integral components) is the DRV actually built with better materials and quality construction than the Riverstone? I had heard, perhaps rumor, as I never checked it out, that DRV quality has taken a slide in the past two or three years. For what it's worth, the fit and finish on my Legacy is great.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #5

We have been living full time in our RiverStone 38FB2 since March. No issues so far. We looked extensively at the DRV, Landmark, etc. We could not see the $40k to $50k higher price difference for the DRV.

Pete
Fishrsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #6

Does Riverstone still use all hydraulic slides? If so, that, to me, is one of the advantages that Riverstone has over DRV.

On the other hand, DRV has a frame that they will put a 3000 pound receiver on the rear of from the factory - a major plus.

DRV will customize your trailer a large degree, which is a plus.

But - if I have to plan on replacing slide floors in a DRV at a 2-9k cost per floor, is it really worth it?

The allure of the DRV, to me, is the Fullhouse floorplan. Now if Riverstone would put out a true toy hauler, then I'd probably go with them. As mentioned above, the price difference is fairly significant.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #7

As far as all hydraulic slides it depends on which floor plan, I know on our 38mb they are but on the front kitchen and living rooms I would say no, probably best to ask the factory direct for which floor plan you might be interested in.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:34 PM   #8

We also looked at DRV initially but after touring a few units and reading on forums about some of the problems and the run around some owners are getting with their warranty claims we bought the Legacy 38RE and also bought the 2nd year warranty.

We've been living in it full time for 1 1/2 years and still love it, the insulation is sufficient for the cold canadian winters and hot summers, we however had the dump valves wrapped in heat tape.

The bedroom slide is electric, the livingroom slides are Schwintek and the kitchen and diningroom slides are hydraulic. Oddly, we only had problems with the hydraulic slides, the hydraulic cylinder under the diningroom slide has a small leak (more like sweating) and will be replaced when we're back next spring, our dealer received a replacement cylinder days after the problem was diagnosed and reported (Thanks RiverStone). One of the rack and pinions under the kitchen slide (rack and pinion operated by a hydraulic cylinder) suddenly started to jump causing the slide to completely get cockeyed, when this happened we were on a campground close to our selling dealer, repair was a major PITA but they got it fixed after 2 days in the shop. What I'm trying to say is that hydraulic slides can fail.

We did have other warranty repairs done but they all involved components that are probably being used by DRV as well, the problems were reported to the dealer who immediately submitted the claims to RS and no other followup was needed, nothing involved a rotting slide room floor.
Otherwise, if RiverStone keeps doing what they're doing we won't even bother looking at other brands next time.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
We also looked at DRV initially but after touring a few units and reading on forums about some of the problems and the run around some owners are getting with their warranty claims we bought the Legacy 38RE and also bought the 2nd year warranty.

We've been living in it full time for 1 1/2 years and still love it, the insulation is sufficient for the cold canadian winters and hot summers, we however had the dump valves wrapped in heat tape.

The bedroom slide is electric, the livingroom slides are Schwintek and the kitchen and diningroom slides are hydraulic. Oddly, we only had problems with the hydraulic slides, the hydraulic cylinder under the diningroom slide has a small leak (more like sweating) and will be replaced when we're back next spring, our dealer received a replacement cylinder days after the problem was diagnosed and reported (Thanks RiverStone). One of the rack and pinions under the kitchen slide (rack and pinion operated by a hydraulic cylinder) suddenly started to jump causing the slide to completely get cockeyed, when this happened we were on a campground close to our selling dealer, repair was a major PITA but they got it fixed after 2 days in the shop. What I'm trying to say is that hydraulic slides can fail.

We did have other warranty repairs done but they all involved components that are probably being used by DRV as well, the problems were reported to the dealer who immediately submitted the claims to RS and no other followup was needed, nothing involved a rotting slide room floor.
Otherwise, if RiverStone keeps doing what they're doing we won't even bother looking at other brands next time.
Good to hear! Is Riverstone still offering the second year warranty? I thought that was a thing of the past.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #10

I'm not sure they still do, it was discontinued on most FR lines when we bought our trailer. The business manager had to call RiverStone to find out for sure and we didn't waste a minute to jump on it, I guess hindsight was 20/20.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:39 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to B and B
If you are looking at DRV don't overlook the Landmark which is Full Time living rated. It is a in between the Riverstone and DRV with less weight same higher quality features of both trailers.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:18 AM   #12

You're absolutely correct on the receiver (150 lb maximum) which is barely enough for my bike rack and chairs. I will probably beef that up once I get out of warranty. Frame is much heavier than my Voltage was, so the problem is just the receiver attachment, not the frame. All three of my slides are hydraulic on my 38MB. When I ordered my unit, I had some extra 110 outlets added but not sure if dealer did it or factory. When I took the factory tour, it sounded like they would make some minor modifications, but I never followed uo.
Rusty
Old 11-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
If you are looking at DRV don't overlook the Landmark which is Full Time living rated. It is a in between the Riverstone and DRV with less weight same higher quality features of both trailers.

I've looked at the Landmarks, and ran into the same problems I am with Riverstone - the lack of a triple axle floorplan limits cargo capacity. I want between 3-4k cargo capacity to account for our stuff, generator, and solar install.

DRV won't rate their trailers above 24k for some reason, but when they put 3 8k axles under it, I'm not worried too much about going a little over the sticker weight.

I asked if Riverstone would consider putting 9k MorRyde IS on, and they will not. Also will not put a riser under the suspension to get better ground/truck bed clearance.

They will modify the half bath and mid office, so that's a bonus.

Couches RV nation and the factory sales rep are really quick to respond to inquiries, so that's a definite bonus.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
I've looked at the Landmarks, and ran into the same problems I am with Riverstone - the lack of a triple axle floorplan limits cargo capacity. I want between 3-4k cargo capacity to account for our stuff, generator, and solar install.

DRV won't rate their trailers above 24k for some reason, but when they put 3 8k axles under it, I'm not worried too much about going a little over the sticker weight.

I asked if Riverstone would consider putting 9k MorRyde IS on, and they will not. Also will not put a riser under the suspension to get better ground/truck bed clearance.

They will modify the half bath and mid office, so that's a bonus.

Couches RV nation and the factory sales rep are really quick to respond to inquiries, so that's a definite bonus.

The RiverStone 39FKTH is a very nice triple axle model, not a Legacy but I think petty much all Legacy options can be ordered. I have seen one at a dealer that was specifically ordered with 3 8k axles, I'm surprised they won't do Morryde IS.

The problem with raising the trailer is the legal overall height of 13'6".

One more little detail reg. the insulation of the RS, it is 25F outside with daytime highs not above the freezing mark and we're sitting here barefoot in T-shirt drinking our morning coffee with only the Big Buddy heater on the lowest setting. However, we turn the heater off and the propane furnace on when when we go to bed, we have a total of 3 CO detectors plus the Buddy heater has built in protection. Something to consider if you're planning to go full time, both DRV and RS are on the same level in this regard.
I just see I still have to change the time to Mountain Time on the thermometer .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181121_104318.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	191929  
Old 11-21-2018, 03:15 PM   #15

As part of my due diligence, I researched the DRV line heavily.

There is enough anecdotal data out there to tell me that they are not what they used to be.

When we decided on going full time, my first choice was going to be a DRV. Price was not going to be the deciding factor.

My first foray into an RV was a Grand Design. Learned a lot from the Reflection model that I currently have (313RLTS). I'm an engineer by trade (albeit telecommunications) so I took a fairly critical look at my GDRV over the last 18 months. It seems that - once upon a time - there was a clear commitment to quality on the part of most of the higher end RV manufacturers. As companies got acquired (assimilated as the Borg would say) there was a larger commitment made to shareholders rather than consumers. I know this has been hammered and complained about ad nauseum on every board for the past few years. However, looking deeper into it, you learn that it is true. It's evidenced in the Monaco line, the Newmar line, Tiffin, and yes DRV.

The more I spoke with current (new construction) DRV owners, as well as older (5 years ago construction) owners to a person they say that the quality has gone down. They know it better than anyone, because they live with it everyday - just as we all do with our current RVs. Nobody knows your RV better than you.

Which is what brought us to the 39FK, and/or the 29RKFB. My wife and I have crawled around the 39FK a great deal. We looked at the same model at different dealers, and while the workmanship isn't that of a high-end Class A, I feel that the quality is as good as the DRV - without the premium price.

2020 Riverstone 39FK
2016 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L PowerStroke Lariat
Jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:35 AM   #16

Last I heard, Landmark was using drum brakes, no IS suspension, and was 8' wide as opposed to 8.5, where DVR and Riverstone was disc, IS, and 8.5 wide. Big points in their favor.
Rusty
Old 11-22-2018, 07:23 AM   #17

I will say that at one time we thought a DRV was going to be our dream rv for when we retire, well after looking long and hard at them while at a major rv show we were turned off of them by their factory rep and the way they KNOCKED our current unit ( wife just turned and walked out of the display). We were very pleased with our Cedar Creek and the support we have received with it so soon we started looking at the Trilogy brand. We were close to deciding when they pulled the plug on that line and then heard of a new line called Allure which has now become River Stone Legacy and we are very pleased with the outcome and glad we waited. I am not saying they compare apples to apples to the DRV but do feel they are a strong competition for them and after reading of some current issues in the DRV line plus the factory support we receive I feel we made the right decision.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #18

We are presently getting ready to purchase a Riverstone 39 RKFB model. We looked extensively at DRV mobile suites as well. There was an interesting comparison sheet online a month or two ago. Maybe you can Google it and this would be a possible help for you. Weight wise the DRV's tend to be heavier than the Riverstones, but not by much. Both have walls 3 plus inches thick and appear very solid. Many will say the DRV is better built with nicer appointments. In some respects maybe, and in others very close to the same. One of the biggest differences is the price-tag. You will likely spend an extra $50,000 or more on the DRV over a Riverstone. In our personal opinion, the price difference is not justified. We are talking about a whole lot of money here ??? One other concern I have noticed on some of the reviews for DRV is the fact that Thor Industries now owns DRV Mobile Suites. This appeared to be a major concern for many and some ventured to mention the quality has gone downhill since Thor now owns DRV. Thor is accused of cutting corners to keep the bottom-line down and profits up. I have no firsthand knowledge of this myself, but many smaller RV companies, that have been purchased by the big guys appear to receive these same comments and concerns. It appears that virtually every RV on the market today has mixed pro's & con's. Some love it and some hate it. We all know that some problems will most likely arise and can only hope they are small problems and easily rectified. Hope this helps ??? Safe travels !!!!!
RSLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #19

I've seen that there is about a 30k price difference between DRV and Riverstone, unless you guys are getting them for under $100k. Not that that is the ultimate deciding factor.

The one thing that makes me hesitant on the Riverstone is that they are all (almost) two axle, with those two axles being 8k. On the bigger, more appointed fivers, they seem to have limited CCC. We full time, and we also want generator/solar/batteries, so we need at least 3k CCC. Not many have that. Any thoughts?

I inquired of some things with Couche's RV Nation - they said Riverstone will do some customization, but they will not put a 9K axle on the trailer, which is how DRV, and Luxe, btw, are getting a 21K GVW on their two axle rigs.

Are the Riverstone frames not up to that weight?
Old 12-11-2018, 07:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
I've seen that there is about a 30k price difference between DRV and Riverstone, unless you guys are getting them for under $100k. Not that that is the ultimate deciding factor.

The one thing that makes me hesitant on the Riverstone is that they are all (almost) two axle, with those two axles being 8k. On the bigger, more appointed fivers, they seem to have limited CCC. We full time, and we also want generator/solar/batteries, so we need at least 3k CCC. Not many have that. Any thoughts?

I inquired of some things with Couche's RV Nation - they said Riverstone will do some customization, but they will not put a 9K axle on the trailer, which is how DRV, and Luxe, btw, are getting a 21K GVW on their two axle rigs.

Are the Riverstone frames not up to that weight?

As was noted in a previous post the 39FKTH has 3 axles and CCC of 3600+ lbs.

Our 38 FB 2 has a CCC of 2958 lbs which is plenty for our full timing needs. We have a generator, solar, and 4 batteries and inverter set up for off grid living. We have had many folks comment on just how large the garage is compared to most.

Pete
Fishrsafe is offline   Reply With Quote