Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2021, 04:27 PM   #1

Samsung TV

I have a 39RKFB with the Samsung smart TV, we are in a park with cable but they require you to have a cable box which isn't an issue except I cannot figure out how to connect the box to the TV. I am using an HDMI cable just not sure which coax connection to use. I would like to keep the outside antenna connected if possible. Has anyone figured this out? Downloaded the manual but it doesn't really address this issue.
rlbwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:36 PM   #2

I just left a camp ground two days early from a 4 day stay because of their "1950s cable box technology." The "BOX" will not work thru your trailer wiring. You have too hook up their crap directly to your tv. and it will only work "THAT" tv. 50 yrs camping, never had a problem going post to my rig directly. Your not at Beachcomber campground in Cape May N.J. are you?
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:44 PM   #3

And to think I get excited if I get 1 or 2 bars cell signal and a couple of off the air TV stations when I camp...

There should be only 1 coax connection on the back of the Samsung TV. That's where the cable out from the CATV box would go.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:08 AM   #4

Some of this isn't making sense. Usually campgrounds just have a simple cable that you connect to the cable connection inside of the water center. That cable has standard channels running on it that the TV has to scan for to lock into. Also you may have the antenna booster on. Look into the TV cabinet or behind the TV to see if you see the antenna booster light on. TURN IT OFF to receive the cable channels from the water station hookup.

Usually a cable box is only required for premium channels as the cable provider sends down a signal to to unlock them. If for some reason your using a cable box it should be HDMI out and hence connect it to HDMI in for your TV.

I see no reason to use a box which potentially provides an ability for the cable providers to lock you out of premium channels or to provide other on demand services. If that was the case then each campground you went in you would have to "register" to unlock the channels. Doesn't make any sense to me and I think some of you folks are mis-reading what is going on here.

I have been wrong but I'm not getting the "box" thing. It is only a decoder\receiver and it was used in the "old days" for non-cable compatible TV's where you set the TV to channel 3 or 4 and the receiver what change all the incoming channels decode them and send it to the frequency for channel 3 or 4 . Who knows what box goes with what cable company or what channels?
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:40 PM   #5

2 Years ago I was at a campsite that used old cable boxes. I think they output everything on RF channel NTSC channels 3 or 4.

I think these were designed to work with older TVs. But would work with TVs that had both types of tuner/receivers. NTSC and ATSC.

Guessing there are not many of these left. There are probably a few of the older campers that haven't upgraded their TVs yet.

Not very common to see a campground doing this anymore.

Guessing WiFi wasn't great at that CampGround.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #6

I've been to exactly 3 campground/resorts that required "boxes" to get cable. The cable company in that area apparently "scrambles" everything or is required to get HD signal. Anyway, the way I did it was to use the 'satellite" connection on the camper/trailer. Then from the "satellite" wall plate near the Tv, connect a coax to their cable box & the HDMI to the rear of the Tv. You will now need to choose the source (HDMI port on the screen) that you connected the HDMI to on the back of the Tv. Turn on their box and you should be good to go. And, you never disturbed the coax going to the Tv from the antenna so you can still get OTA stations if available.

LeePedrick may be correct about using the trailers "cable" connection outside. Because of the sometimes multiple splitters to feed multiple Tv locations in the trailer a digital or HD signal will not pass through them. They need to be high ohm splitters designed for digital HD signals to pass through.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
I've been to exactly 3 campground/resorts that required "boxes" to get cable. The cable company in that area apparently "scrambles" everything or is required to get HD signal. Anyway, the way I did it was to use the 'satellite" connection on the camper/trailer. Then from the "satellite" wall plate near the Tv, connect a coax to their cable box & the HDMI to the rear of the Tv. You will now need to choose the source (HDMI port on the screen) that you connected the HDMI to on the back of the Tv. Turn on their box and you should be good to go. And, you never disturbed the coax going to the Tv from the antenna so you can still get OTA stations if available.

LeePedrick may be correct about using the trailers "cable" connection outside. Because of the sometimes multiple splitters to feed multiple Tv locations in the trailer a digital or HD signal will not pass through them. They need to be high ohm splitters designed for digital HD signals to pass through.

This is correct, you may need to try different connections on the outside, I have three or 4 out there and cannot remember which on works.
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:25 PM   #8

You might want to look at a TV streaming service like Hulu or YouTube TV. But because those services are tethered to your physical address you'll have to use a VPN when in your trailer to be able to access these streaming services anywhere.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 04:51 PM   #9

In October we (and 2 other rigs caravanning with us) stayed at La Hacienda RV Resort in Austin, TX. We made reservations there back in February based on good reviews. We usually use our Dish Traveler Satellite antenna for TV. But,.... our site was under trees, so no go. We connected our cable to the cable outlet on the power post and now signal. I called the office thinking it was a bad post connection and they stated, "Oh, you have to come to the office for a cable box". All 200+ sites were the same. There explanation was, "we haven't upgraded". I thought to myself, upgraded from when,.... 1970????? We had to run a cable from the post to the cable box through a window, and then to to coax on the back of our 55" Samsung TV in the LR. The rest of the RV Park was OK,... but, they don't deserve the good ratings they've had on several blogs.
2022 GMC 3500 HD Denali Dually
GWJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote