Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #1

Satellite setup

I am wanting to purchase a dual satellite with two cable boxes. I just want to make sure that there aren’t any issues before I purchase I am looking at a Dish Playmaker dual. Does anyone else have this setup on thei RiverStone?
Fmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #2
Riverstone 39RKFB

We are picking our New Riverstone up tomorrow and during walk through I asked this specific question, as I have had some issues on prior RV with satellite service and how it was wired. First the RV we purchased has 3 cable ports in external compartment, he said one port for each TV, he said you can run a dual satellite but require a receiver on each TV. We purchased the dual playmaker as well and 3 receivers 2 for the inside of RV and one for outside TV. That way we only have to switch port externally for outside TV. We have not tried it yet but will update you this weekend if you haven’t got your answer. I hope it works as well as dealer rep said.
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:39 PM   #3

If you've got the money, I would suggest you go with a better satellite finder than the Playmaker. I have the Playmaker, and it's just ok. With a better (more expensive) model, you have a bigger dish, and I think that makes it easier to find the satellite.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:36 AM   #4

I went with the Carryout G2 ONLY because if I change from Directv to Dish, it'll still work (works with Dish or Directv. ) I have it wired so I can have Directv in the living room, or bedroom, or outside. I use one Directv receiver, a splitter, and an RF modulator. HDMI goes to the living room tv. Composite from the receiver goes to the RF modulator. That signal goes to the splitter which splits out to the bedroom and outside tv by coax. If I change to Dish, I replace the receiver and change dip switcher on the G2 converter.
flhtci2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #5

I see there is a Carryout G3 that “supports” two receivers. Do you think this means it is dual?
Old 12-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #6

Take a look at the Winegard Pathway X2. It supports duel Dish receivers.

2006 F-250 CCSB 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke
Air Lift 5k bags w/ onboard compressor
2022 Keystone Raptor 351
B&W Companion
Brendon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #7

any 'portable' single LNB antenna will only FULLY support a single receiver, for all three satellites, though it will have a 'secondary' output for another receiver, but the channels are limited to a single satellite. I use our KingTailgater2 this way quite often, but you have to get used to how it 'works' with both receivers. If I have access to all three satellites, I usually leave the Main receiver on 129HD when programming the secondary receiver, since those are mainly HD channels, and plenty of them. Otherwise 110 is a good choise, with a few HD channels, but most any of the others in SD.

As for the 'size' of the portable antenna, I don't think that in itself is a reason it picks up the satellites 'easy' or not.... most of the issues with picking up the satellites is line-of-sight and trees/leaf blockage. I find that if my manual tripod-mounted 1000 3-LNB open faced antenna picks up a satellite, the portable does it just as well.

Another option, if you want BOTH receivers to have access to all channels on all three satellites, is to have TWO portable antennas - two DishPlaymakers, for example, would be about $550 to $600. The are small and easy to handle and store, or keep on the roof.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #8

I have the Pathfinder X2 and it has two ports to support using two receivers. The only catch is that both receivers must be tuned to the same satellite.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #9

Yes, the G3 is just like my G2 but supports 2 receivers. The question is: Do you really need 2 receivers? I would suppose if you full timed maybe the need would be there. I don't full time but we do travel for month plus trips, and my wife and I tend to watch the same stuff. BUT, if it is something you may want to do, best to go with the G3 from the start. Again, I only say G2/G3 because they don't lock you into one provider.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #10

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammin View Post
I have the Pathfinder X2 and it has two ports to support using two receivers. The only catch is that both receivers must be tuned to the same satellite.
right, but the reality is that it only effects the secondary receiver, not the primary one - the Main primary receiver will always be able to see all channels from all available satellites, no worries.

but, because the secondary receiver must be programmed second, acquiring it's satellite channels only from the satellite that the Main primary receiver is tuned to at that time, the secondary can only view channels from THAT satellite, otherwise showing the famous 'blue screen' "programming not available" type message.
That's a lot to take in, maybe, but once you understand how these portable satellite antennas work, it becomes easier to swallow.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:36 PM   #11

Bought this today from camping world. Been trying to set it up for half a day. Connected using the satellite connection. Can’t activate plugged into the Rv since it has to be less than 50 feet of cable. Will try again tomorrow straight to the box. If it works will connect to bedroom using the cable connection We shall see
Old 12-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #12

What did you buy?
Old 12-13-2018, 09:52 PM   #13

Dish playmaker dual with Wally box
Old 12-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmunoz View Post
Bought this today from camping world. Been trying to set it up for half a day. Connected using the satellite connection. Can’t activate plugged into the Rv since it has to be less than 50 feet of cable. Will try again tomorrow straight to the box. If it works will connect to bedroom using the cable connection We shall see
Mine would not work through the satellite connection either. I have to wire mine directly to Wally box. I use a flat coax cable connector to run through the window.

2006 F-250 CCSB 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke
Air Lift 5k bags w/ onboard compressor
2022 Keystone Raptor 351
B&W Companion
Brendon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #15

Mine worked great for about a year through the satellite connection point but it quit working a couple of months ago. I removed the connection plates to see if the cable got disconnected but no luck. Don't know if there is a way to check the wire for damage between the two connection points.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:48 PM   #16

Would not work through the trailer connection. Wired through windows also. One in bedroom and one in den
Old 12-16-2018, 11:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmunoz View Post
Would not work through the trailer connection. Wired through windows also. One in bedroom and one in den
We also had trouble when using the trailer connection. Shortening the outside cable about 1/2 its length solved the problem.

If that doesn't work, maybe an amplifier in the outside line close to the dish will help.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:48 PM   #18

Unhappy Maker Dual and Wally receivers

I had the same problem with the factory installed cable. It even checked okay with a cable continuity checker but would not work. I ran separate cables from the Play Maker to the living room and the bedroom. It's been a month now and I still can't make the bedroom work. The living room is perfect. The big problem is Dish Network. They don't seem to know what to do and claim that there is no Dish service for the mobile setups. As far as I'm concerned, I would never buy Dish again. They even sent me the wrong Play Maker and then I spent two weeks trying to get the Dual. When I did they charged me $50 more and after 4 weeks I haven't been able to get my money back on the first antenna.
wrmyers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:42 AM   #19

2nd the Pathway X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon37 View Post
Take a look at the Winegard Pathway X2. It supports duel Dish receivers.
This is a huge improvement over the tailgater I had previously. Much easier to use.
mtpocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite