Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2020, 04:00 PM   #1

TrailAir Pin Box / Alternatives

Greetings. I have a new '19 37REL coming to me in a few weeks and it comes with a Trailair Air Ride pin box. The two suggestions I have received regarding the hitch (I don't have a hitch, but its going in a 2020 3500 long box) is to stick with this and add a B&W companion hitch in the factory truck pucks.

Or, trade the Trailair for a MORryde pin box and get a Hensley TS3 or BD5 air-suspenion hitch.

It looks like the latter would provide the best ride, but that the former might also provide a good ride, be cheaper, and would also be much easier to get the hitch in and out of the truck because the air suspension hitch us very heavy.

Any thoughts are suggestions are welcome. I am new to fivers but not towing generally. I have had a TT for years so the hitch part is new to me.
jjackkrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:42 PM   #2

Do you have something against the Trail Air box? I have a friend with one he loves. I have a B&W companion with a Moryde that came on our Cardinal. All the Riverstones I’ve seen have the $1,200 flex air box which has good reviews.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
Do you have something against the Trail Air box? I have a friend with one he loves. I have a B&W companion with a Moryde that came on our Cardinal. All the Riverstones I’ve seen have the $1,200 flex air box which has good reviews.
No, I just don't have any experience whatsoever with a fifth wheel hitch at all. I am trying to figure out if the Trail Air and a B&W is a good way to go. I am leaning on starting that way to see how it works for me.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:16 PM   #4

I have the TrailAir AirRide and the B&W 25k Companion using the Ford puck system. It’s a very good combination. Basically no chucking and a smooth ride. Wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.

2020 Riverstone 39FK
2016 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L PowerStroke Lariat
Jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1521 View Post
I have the TrailAir AirRide and the B&W 25k Companion using the Ford puck system. It’s a very good combination. Basically no chucking and a smooth ride. Wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.
This is good news. That is the set up I am leaning towards.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:24 AM   #6
Always Learning

On my last rig, I pulled with a B&W. I started with a fixed pinbox and later was upgraded to a Trail Air/Tri-Glide pinbox. And frankly, I didn’t notice any kind of improvement in ride whatsoever.

I am in a new rig now and swapped from my B&W to the Andersen Ultimate to a Trailer Saver TS3. I only got rid of the B&W because my new trailer was over its rated capacity (21k trailer, 20k hitch) in my truck (non-pucks). I hated the Andersen’s ride.

The Trailer Saver is stupidly expensive but gives an amazing ride.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:25 PM   #7

In my opinion Moryde is the best. There's no hassle or upkeep and from experience chucking is eliminated. Moryde has been making rubber suspension for years.
Hope this help
Wayne
wfwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:14 PM   #8
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

5th Wheel Hitch opinion

My 5er when loaded is usually just a few pounds below 11.5K. I've towed with an Andersen since it was new in 2015 and found the ride acceptable except in extreme situations like overly worn expansion joint roads.

In 2018 I upgraded the standard pinbox to the MorRyde RPB (rubber pin box). What a great combo it has been! Those extreme situations I mentioned before are no longer an issue. I now have the convenience and payload saving characteristics of the easy to remove 32 pound Andersen Ultimate and the ride is great.

When consulting with Andersen back then they advised that the MorRyde RPD pinbox combo with Andersen Ultimate is the best combo according to feedback they get from their customers.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:42 PM   #9
Global Nomad

I have the TrailAir AirRide and the B&W companion hitch. I tow a Cedar Creek 40 ft., 8 ton fifth wheel with a RAM 3500 dually. I have been full time for 4 years, and have been to the Arctic Circle and back.

The combination works great. No problem going over the Canadian Rockies. No chucking, or any other problems.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:59 PM   #10

We're pulling our Riverstone with the TrailAir pin box and an AirSafe 25K Omni-Directional and the Ford puck system. It works fine. Nice ride and very minimal chucking. There is plenty of box clearance and when the AirSafe is depressurized the tonneau cover closes without removing the hitch.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:10 PM   #11

I tow my 36CKTS with a B&W hitch and a Trail Air pin box. After this trip I'm going to install a MorRyde that I have sitting in my garage. When towing I can see the trailer moving up and down at the hitch but it looks like the movement is only about an inch or so. Can't see how this can help much. I have a lot of chucking and want to see if the MorRyde helps. I wouldn't waste any money on a Trail Air.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:07 PM   #12

Lots of good info coming in. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

On a side issue, with a long bed, do I need to worry about a Retrax Pro Tonneau cover not fitting with some of these hitches or otherwise interfering with the pin during turns?
Old 02-18-2020, 07:30 PM   #13

The TrailAir/BW setup has been proven to work. To get a similar ride quality from a MorRyde pinbox would require a hitch like the Hensley, meaning you'd have to spend a ton of money while not gaining anything.
Adding air ride to the axles or a MorRyde IS would be a different story and probably a well worth upgrade on a RiverStone.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:16 AM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Lots of good info coming in. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

On a side issue, with a long bed, do I need to worry about a Retrax Pro Tonneau cover not fitting with some of these hitches or otherwise interfering with the pin during turns?
It depends on the camper. My Andersen + toy hauler would rub the Retrax Pro periodically. My B&W + bunkhouse (prior camper) would rub every once in a while but it was pretty rare.

No idea on the Trailer Saver + toy hauler as I have a different bed cover now.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It depends on the camper. My Andersen + toy hauler would rub the Retrax Pro periodically. My B&W + bunkhouse (prior camper) would rub every once in a while but it was pretty rare.

No idea on the Trailer Saver + toy hauler as I have a different bed cover now.
So, if it rubs, a scuff maybe but no biggy? Or is it a bigger deal? (I've towed conventional trailers forever, but I am new to fifth wheel).
Old 02-19-2020, 12:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Adding air ride to the axles or a MorRyde IS would be a different story and probably a well worth upgrade on a RiverStone.
I am getting discs but it is not coming with the IS. It looks like that's a 7k retrofit. Ugg. I am not sure we travel far enough to justify that expense.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:33 PM   #17

Quote:
(I've towed conventional trailers forever, but I am new to fifth wheel).
You're on the right track questioning the clearance of a 5er and the tow vehicle. Especially with newer pickup beds increasingly higher over the years and short beds being so popular. (This trend is VERY slightly changing with the likes of (some?) 2020 Fords being slightly lower than 2019 models.)

Some 5ers are better than others, long beds better than shorter, some hitches better than others etc etc. But there is no definitive list of what works! The good news is the Riverstone front cap seems to work well.

One reason I kept the TrailAir and added an AirSafe is the ability to temporarily raise/lower the front of the trailer by a few inches. This turned out to be necessary for the hitch to clear the closed tonneau cover without taking the hitch apart or removing it.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #18

I had a trail air on our 40' Raptor and loved it.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:33 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
So, if it rubs, a scuff maybe but no biggy? Or is it a bigger deal? (I've towed conventional trailers forever, but I am new to fifth wheel).
It rubbed the powdercoating off of the Retrax Pro but didn't hurt anything.

I got into a funky situation and gouged the metal on the Retrax Pro. Camper was fine and rolltop still worked but it looked ugly.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:27 PM   #20

The B&W hitch comes in 25k or 20k models; the max weight of my rig will be around 19k. Any reason not to just get the 25K hitch other than cost? Thanks.