Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2019, 10:38 PM   #1

Update on the Riverstone 39 RKFB model

Good Evening to All, If there are any 39 RKFB owners out there, we would appreciate an update on your fifth wheel model. We are truly leaning toward buying this unit. It looks great and has virtually everything we are seeking in a quality fifth wheel. In reading the online reviews (Not On This Site), most were very positive regarding this particular floor plan and people loved the look and layout. Naturally, regarding reviews one must see if it is a large enough sampling to be valid. It cannot be just a few people. In this case the sampling was definitely large enough and was somewhat mixed in pros & cons, as many reviews tend to be. There were a fair number of warranty issues of varying degrees and the one aspect that was concerning for us involved a large number of people being disappointed in the RV with one primary complaint. People loved the look, but it was noted when you peel back the so-called layers the unit was poorly constructed. Again, the 39 RKFB looked wonderful, but when opened-up for any repairs the inside or guts was of very poor quality. Comments ranged from water leaks, missing screws, nuts & bolts, things becoming loose, rattles, and the list went on. The cherry on top of these problems was Forest River not providing support for many of these warranty issues and people were disgusted to say the least. We should all know that customer support from Forest River and any manufacturer is most important. These folks were not happy campers at all. We would appreciate any feedback from owners of the 39 RKFB model regarding your overall review of your unit. Any problems and their nature. Also customer support from Forest River regarding any issues, which were under warranty. I believe Forest River is a good RV manufacturer, but sometimes quality is left behind when there is a rush to move things along. Many complaints were also on initial acceptance of their units and problems that certainly should have been detected and corrected, before ever leaving the factory. We are close to a final decision on this model and any and all input, advice, experiences, etc. will be greatly appreciated. The more accurate information we have the better decision we can make. Thanks to all for your assistance and God Bless. Be well...............
RSLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:43 AM   #2

While I don't own the model you are looking at, I do own a Legacy 38MB. They are/were built in "runs" by the same employees, and while I had a few minor warranty issues, they were promptly addressed by Forest River. I live in my unit 6 months a year, and I can honestly say, I haven't found any of the cheapness or poor quality you've seen reported. I can also say that my experience with the factory before the order and during the build, was excellent. Lastly, my contacts with the two appointments I had for warranty work thru the Warranty Section went smoothly and without any problem. I would recommend a Riverstone to everyone who wants a quality, mid-priced 5th wheel.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:57 AM   #3

Another 38MB owner here (2017) and we have been very pleased with our unit both in quality and support from the factory and also a service center they use for warranty work. We feel the build was very good and have had very few minor issues with ours, now ours was the 141st unit built and in the very early stage so maybe the quality in the beginning was a bit better then now. We have seen some things that have changed and feel it has not been for the best but still feel the River Stone is a very good buy for the price point when you compare what other brands they compete with. Good luck on your choice and keep us posted.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:41 PM   #4

Dblr,

Thank you for your input with Riverstone RV's. This is the feedback we hoped for and you are now the second person to reply to my questions with a positive answer. Thanks again and safe travels.
RSLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:20 PM   #5

We own a 2019 39RKFB. We absolutely love ours. We also had a couple very small issues. But the dealer fixed them promptly. I would also recommend this unit to anyone looking for a very nice 5er. I think these are quality built! Ours is used by my wife and myself and our 4 dogs.
mikegernes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #6

I to am looking at the same model, the floor plan is perfect for us. From the youtube channel Big Truck/Big RV JD says they are a lot of bang for the buck compared to DRV or Luxe. I am really attracted to the brake/ suspension/ tire/ wheel package. Your dealer will have a lot to do with customer satisfaction and how they submit claims for warranty. I feel it is just as important to shop for a dealer that will take care of you.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:33 PM   #7

We picked up our new 2020 Riverstone 39RKFB on 9-27-19. We towed it approximately 2500 miles on trips in the Fall, before arriving in AZ for our 9th Winter here, on 10/26, where we'll be sitting until mid-April. No major issues yet. Prior to this rig, we had a 2010 Tiffin Phaeton diesel pusher traveling in it for 9+ years, 45 states, 6 Canadian provinces & 65k miles. Based on our RV experience, we haven't seen any 'worse-than-average' problems yet, and in fact, I believe our rig appears to be fairly well built, so far. We're going to pull it to Alaska next summer which will be the real test. We have not had any experience with Forest River factory customer service to speak of yet. We looked at many different brands of 5th wheels, including Grand Design, New Horizons, Mobil Suites, VanLeigh (Tiffin) etc., including some factory tours, before deciding on the Riverstone. I particularly liked the fact that the residential refrigerator (450 lbs) is NOT on any slide out and the outside walls are 3+ " thick with good insulation. FR Riverstone includes some items that are either not available, or extra cost items, on other brands, such as 40# LP tanks, vs 30#, 8k axles vs 7k, better suspension (IMO), etc. Now, some of the other manufacturers are copying the Riverstone Rear Kitchen floor plan (like VanLeigh). Hope this helps. Good luck on your decision.
2022 GMC 3500 HD Denali Dually
GWJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:59 AM   #8

Greg,
I live in Anchorage so when you do come to Alaska you should drop me a line and say hi.