Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #21
dgibbs1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterrick View Post
Responding to the comments from G Hollingswort, specifically points 2 and 3. These comments are true for the Truma Comfort model. My comments are regarding the Comfort Plus, which I have. With the Plus model has a very small (1 quart) holding tank that is always kept hot, and the hot water is constantly circulated throughout the system (in Comfort Mode) so you do in fact get instant hot water at every tap. OF course, this takes slightly more propane, but in general, the propane use is negligible, especially when compared to other things that use it such as the furnace, or particularly the generator (if you have a propane version). There is also ECO mode, where the circulating feature is not enabled, in which case there is a wait to get hot water at the taps, no different than with any other type of hot water heater.

If you are getting a Truma, I would recommend that you make sure it is the Comfort Plus model.

Rick
Unfortunately my dealership did not order a single Plus model....makes no sense to me at all and my model can not be plumbed to accept the upgrade. Makes me irritated with way dealers order stuff.

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Responding to the comments from G Hollingswort, specifically points 2 and 3. These comments are true for the Truma Comfort model. My comments are regarding the Comfort Plus, which I have. With the Plus model has a very small (1 quart) holding tank that is always kept hot, and the hot water is constantly circulated throughout the system (in Comfort Mode) so you do in fact get instant hot water at every tap. OF course, this takes slightly more propane, but in general, the propane use is negligible, especially when compared to other things that use it such as the furnace, or particularly the generator (if you have a propane version). There is also ECO mode, where the circulating feature is not enabled, in which case there is a wait to get hot water at the taps, no different than with any other type of hot water heater.

If you are getting a Truma, I would recommend that you make sure it is the Comfort Plus model.

Rick
If we had had this tankless heater originally, then I probably won't have changed mine out for a 12 gal tank. With the 12 gal tank we still have to wait for water to reach a faucet, but we don't run out of hot water once it reaches the faucet. I like the idea of continual flow of hot water to each faucet available with the plus version for instant hot water. However it appears to be only available on a new unit. It would be nice to see how they continually circulate the hot water. I looked on their website but so far haven't found pictures or schematics on how they do it. I would think you could retrofit your lines to accommodate the plus version.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibbs1955 View Post
Does the Shower Miser constrict the flow of water? I really don't care for just barely a trickle of water to be flowing out of the shower head and the DW can't stand it because she has such thick hair and needs the velocity of water to clean her hair.
No constriction. The Shower Miser is simply a valve, a section of pipe that color changes with temp changes, and a return line to the fresh tank. No restrictions.
https://aquaviewinc.com/rv/
The Oxygenics shower head (the original RV model anyway) will increase the force of the water coming out of the shower head, as well as the perception of flow. My wife loves it for rinsing her long hair.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Oxyg...&bih=280&dpr=3
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:12 PM   #24
dgibbs1955

Quote:
I can't imagine why you would want to change back to a tank type water heater. Why waste all that energy keeping a tank of water hot, when you can heat just the water that you are presently using.

As others have said, tankless water heaters have been through a number of generations of development. Perhaps there were issues with earlier ones, but I think they are pretty mature now.

I have to RVs, one with an old fashioned tank style heater, and another with a Truma Aquago. I LOVE the Truma. I have INSTANT hot water at all of my faucets. Since I never camp at places that have full hookups, or even water hookups, this is a big deal for me. Not only does it conserve my water supply by not having to run the tap for 2 minutes before I get hot, and I also do not run all of that wasted water into my grey tank.

I will never go back to a tank type water heater, and I am seriously considering changing out the one in my other RV.

Good luck
Rick
Do you have the Comfort or Comfort Plus?

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:43 PM   #25
dgibbs1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
If we had had this tankless heater originally, then I probably won't have changed mine out for a 12 gal tank. With the 12 gal tank we still have to wait for water to reach a faucet, but we don't run out of hot water once it reaches the faucet. I like the idea of continual flow of hot water to each faucet available with the plus version for instant hot water. However it appears to be only available on a new unit. It would be nice to see how they continually circulate the hot water. I looked on their website but so far haven't found pictures or schematics on how they do it. I would think you could retrofit your lines to accommodate the plus version.
Talked with Forest River today, and the Plus system requires the recirculation line and that can only be installed during the construction phase at the factory unfortunately.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I have a first generation Girard on demand. Absolutely love it. The Truma is several generations advanced and I have heard nothing but great things about them. I plan on having one in our next RV.
We team our tankless with an Oxygenics shower head, and a Shower Miser for a perfect shower experience with no wasted water, no waiting for hot water, or temperature surges, even during Navy showers.
We boondock most of the time and our tankless system performs perfectly. We will never have an RV w/o a tankless and a Shower Miser.
Most folks who run down the tankless system either never used one, or didn't use one long enough to make the small operational adjustments in usage. Over several years I have run across several folks who just hated their tankless. After I was able to explain and demonstrate how it worked, and what to do to solve their complaints, they now really enjoy about them. And of course there was a few who wouldn't even attempt any changes in operation and went another route.
So give it a try and keep on open mind. If you really can't adjust to it, then do something else. I'm betting you will like it, especially if you have a Shower Miser installed if it doesn't come with one from the factory.
Same camper, same heater same opinion, Never a tank type WH again for us. The only thing we did different than Scott is to change the shower faucet to one that has a cartridges instead of washers to meter the water flow.

Smooth steady water flow = smooth steady heating of the water.

The Truma and the newer generation Girard actually have the ability for you to set the desired temp............THAT would be the Cats Meow.

I saw a comparison recently and the Girard actually outperformed the Truma at a significantly lower price point. If yo are buying one Id check them both out and make an informed decision. If memory serves Truma really fell down on Customer Service after the sale, but I could be mistaken
Old 04-06-2020, 04:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
No constriction. The Shower Miser is simply a valve, a section of pipe that color changes with temp changes, and a return line to the fresh tank. No restrictions.
https://aquaviewinc.com/rv/
The Oxygenics shower head (the original RV model anyway) will increase the force of the water coming out of the shower head, as well as the perception of flow. My wife loves it for rinsing her long hair.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Oxyg...&bih=280&dpr=3
Scott, where did you plumb in the return water line to your FW tank. SInce we have the same camper Im curious to know the route you ran the pipe.

Thanks, Doug
Old 04-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #28
CampChef

I changed out my 6 gallon for Truma Aquago Comfort. The price difference was less than $200 from the Girard. We are currently in Arizona at an RV park for the last week. Cold nights. Use propane to heat trailer, cooking and Truma WH. Have only used 45% of one 30 lb tank. Did a lot of research before buying this unit and fond it to be the best on the market. DW and I love it and would never go back to a tank WH. I can shower and she can wash dishes and we never run out of hot water. I was he first thing I changed out when we bought our new Rockwood last October. Try it first. I would bet you will love it. We do!
Equal-i-zer WDH 1,400 bars
mwmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Do you have the Comfort or Comfort Plus?
I have the Plus model.
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:22 PM   #30

Well, don't I feel like a dope. I had to look it up to see what make/model I have. It is indeed the Truma DLE600C and I guess I have to say it's great. It's one of those things that never gets a complement when it always does everything right. It works great, provides a truly unlimited supply of hot water, and just works.

2020 Riverstone 39FK
2016 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L PowerStroke Lariat
Jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #31

Quote:
I would like to hear the general consensus of peoples opinion of this water heater. I have heard really nothing good, but it was from a small group, so I am reaching out to the Forum for your thoughts if you have one of these in your unit. I am in the process of strongly considering a new Brookstone 39RKFB. I wanted to change it out with a 12 gallon Suburban DSI unit, but now after a week, my dealer is just now telling me that his Techs say it can't be done without voiding a bunch of different Warranties, because they have to replumb and wire the system. Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

We had the Girard II for about 10 months before RiverStone installed a 12 gal. Suburban for us free of charge. Between 2 showers in the morning a washing machine and a Bosch residential dishwasher we have not once had a problem with running out of hot water in over 2 years. Actually, the Girard was so bad the water on the kitchen tap was not even warm enough to clean the dishes. However the Truma is not a Girard, the Truma always receives positive reviews where the reviews for Girard are mixed at best. IMO, and this is also the opinion of our dealer, who has since stopped ordering RV's with Girard OD water heaters, that very cold water under 40F entering the heater requires more energy than some RV on demand water heaters can provide. 1/2 gpm of luke warm water isn't gonna cut it!

With everything I have learned so far I would either stick with the 12 gal. Suburban (why fix it if it ain't broke) or a Truma in conjunction with a Showermiser.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
We had the Girard II for about 10 months before RiverStone installed a 12 gal. Suburban for us free of charge. Between 2 showers in the morning a washing machine and a Bosch residential dishwasher we have not once had a problem with running out of hot water in over 2 years. Actually, the Girard was so bad the water on the kitchen tap was not even warm enough to clean the dishes. However the Truma is not a Girard, the Truma always receives positive reviews where the reviews for Girard are mixed at best. IMO, and this is also the opinion of our dealer, who has since stopped ordering RV's with Girard OD water heaters, that very cold water under 40F entering the heater requires more energy than some RV on demand water heaters can provide. 1/2 gpm of luke warm water isn't gonna cut it!

With everything I have learned so far I would either stick with the 12 gal. Suburban (why fix it if it ain't broke) or a Truma in conjunction with a Showermiser.

Full-size dishwasher, don’t tell my wife!! We would love to put one in, but haven’t committed to losing the island space yet.

We have a Suburban SW12DE and are always waiting on it to catch up. We wash clothes on the cold cycle too. I take a 5-7 minute navy shower, and it is pretty much depleted by the time I’m done. When my wife showers, she has that thing right down to cold lol. I know our shower head is a big problem, but she likes the high flow.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:14 AM   #33

While I have a tankless system in my house (only issue is the long pipe run to kitchen, which takes a bit of time for hot water there), I opted for the Suburban 12 gallon heater in my Riverstone. Wife and I both take daily showers, use the dishwasher, and do laundry almost daily, I have never run out of hot water. Unless you boondock a lot, don't know why one would opt for tankless and pay for propane when electric is free.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:21 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
While I have a tankless system in my house (only issue is the long pipe run to kitchen, which takes a bit of time for hot water there), I opted for the Suburban 12 gallon heater in my Riverstone. Wife and I both take daily showers, use the dishwasher, and do laundry almost daily, I have never run out of hot water. Unless you boondock a lot, don't know why one would opt for tankless and pay for propane when electric is free.
Rusty
We use about 2 (7 gallon) bottles of propane per season.

That is not a significant expense in our opinion
Old 04-10-2020, 09:09 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
Full-size dishwasher, don’t tell my wife!! We would love to put one in, but haven’t committed to losing the island space yet.

We have a Suburban SW12DE and are always waiting on it to catch up. We wash clothes on the cold cycle too. I take a 5-7 minute navy shower, and it is pretty much depleted by the time I’m done. When my wife showers, she has that thing right down to cold lol. I know our shower head is a big problem, but she likes the high flow.

Then maybe a tankless water heater would work better for you but do your research if you decide to go that route. We have gotten so used to conserving water we don't even like high flow showers anymore. This little $2 shower valve (pic) lets me turn the water flow down to next to nothing and it still feels comfortable with the shower head set on 'mist'.

Switching out the dishwasher was the best move ever! The old Fisher Paykel started to randomly shut down displaying an error code, left coffee stains in the cups and eventually started to leak. Well, and it was way to small for pots and bowls. It took us about 3 hours and a very patient salesperson to find a full size dishwasher that was about 1 1/2" shorter in depth than most others to fit in the opening in the peninsula without having to make any modifications other than removing the utensil drawer and cutting out the toe kick on the floor. Installing it took me actually less than 2 hours. We actually save a lot of water now, no more pre-rinsing and we do dishes once a day instead of twice. One more thing I noticed during the install was that the old dw was hooked up to cold water and because of that it used a tremendous amount of electricity to heat the water internally and it took for ever to complete a wash cycle. Maybe they did it this way to avoid problems with the Girard tankless water heater that our RS initially came with - who knows???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200410_072907.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	226627  
Attached Images

Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #36

recently bought our Riverstone Legacy. 2 key points - 1. absolutely great to have, easy to operate/ manage and solid engineering (imported from Germany) 2- their service. Now the dealer had not winterized it and when I first hooked up the water, it came gushing out of the unit. It has a safety plug that blows when you have water in it and it freezes.
I called them in the morning and on the same day they said to bring it in and they would help me. On the same day they fixed all the issues that the dealer created and I was able to use our new toy the following day.
The good thing was the dealer recognized their mistake and reimbursed me
swkitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #37

Truma

Had the Truma installed 2 years ago in our FR 335DS. Absolutely love it. No issues. Use it on economy mode and when I turn hot takes a few seconds for very hot water. Ih that mode it only burns propane when used. Best thing we have done to the coach.
exlnt1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #38

Latest Girard WH is good

Have latest Girard tankless WH. Works good for me. I would never go back to tank WH.
Highly recommended. YMMV on the trip water pressure mine is fine.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:52 PM   #39

Send a message via AIM to Davidnanna Send a message via MSN to Davidnanna
Truma is the best way to go. Period. Had an Atwood on Demand Water Heater on my 2016 Berkshire XLT 43b and even after recalls, could never get it to work right. In early 2028, had the Atwood replaced with a Truma and have never regretted it for one moment. I have recommended the Truma to everyone.
2016 Berkshire XLT 43b (diesel pusher)
Davidnanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:06 PM   #40
dgibbs1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Then maybe a tankless water heater would work better for you but do your research if you decide to go that route. We have gotten so used to conserving water we don't even like high flow showers anymore. This little $2 shower valve (pic) lets me turn the water flow down to next to nothing and it still feels comfortable with the shower head set on 'mist'.

Switching out the dishwasher was the best move ever! The old Fisher Paykel started to randomly shut down displaying an error code, left coffee stains in the cups and eventually started to leak. Well, and it was way to small for pots and bowls. It took us about 3 hours and a very patient salesperson to find a full size dishwasher that was about 1 1/2" shorter in depth than most others to fit in the opening in the peninsula without having to make any modifications other than removing the utensil drawer and cutting out the toe kick on the floor. Installing it took me actually less than 2 hours. We actually save a lot of water now, no more pre-rinsing and we do dishes once a day instead of twice. One more thing I noticed during the install was that the old dw was hooked up to cold water and because of that it used a tremendous amount of electricity to heat the water internally and it took for ever to complete a wash cycle. Maybe they did it this way to avoid problems with the Girard tankless water heater that our RS initially came with - who knows???
What is the make and model of your dishwasher??

Tags
heater, water, water heater