Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2020, 08:02 PM   #1
dgibbs1955

What do you think about the Truma Aqua-GO on demand Water Heater.

I would like to hear the general consensus of peoples opinion of this water heater. I have heard really nothing good, but it was from a small group, so I am reaching out to the Forum for your thoughts if you have one of these in your unit. I am in the process of strongly considering a new Brookstone 39RKFB. I wanted to change it out with a 12 gallon Suburban DSI unit, but now after a week, my dealer is just now telling me that his Techs say it can't be done without voiding a bunch of different Warranties, because they have to replumb and wire the system. Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:24 PM   #2

I have one in my unit. I think it good, I believe there are a lot of them out there. It is much easier to winterize than bypassing the water tank.
USS Decatur DDG-31 1971-1975
Inlineskater67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:04 PM   #3

I think you would be crazy to get rid of a tankless and go back in time to a 12 gallon unit. If you decide to, will you trade with me?

From the reviews I have read, people have problems with tankless units when the hot is not flowing at or over 0.9 gallons/minute. In which case you get the hot cold hot cold flow. Sounded like the easiest solution was to set the temp to whatever you wanted, ie 120F, then just run hot full blast instead of mixing with cold.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
I think you would be crazy to get rid of a tankless and go back in time to a 12 gallon unit. If you decide to, will you trade with me?

From the reviews I have read, people have problems with tankless units when the hot is not flowing at or over 0.9 gallons/minute. In which case you get the hot cold hot cold flow. Sounded like the easiest solution was to set the temp to whatever you wanted, ie 120F, then just run hot full blast instead of mixing with cold.
We had a tankless on our unit from the factory. Had trouble getting it to kick on from the getgo - e.g. Turn on the hot water at the faucet nearest the tankless and it never would start thus nothing but cold water. If we took out the aerators then it would kick in. But where is the water conservation as the gray tank would start filling up quicker with water due to no flow restriction on the faucets.

Even doing as you suggested in setting the temperature to a comfortable degree only helped with not having to mix the cold in. If you take a boondock type of shower, when you stopped/restarted the water flow you always would get a good healthy dose of cold water due to when you stop the flow the heater doesn't instantly restart. Sometimes of course the heater wouldn't kick in at all as it didn't sense flow.

We got CC to switch out the tankless to a 12 gal tank and don't regret having that done. Yes it takes a tad more effort to winterize but no cold showers. Maybe in the last couple of years, things may have improved and they will work flawlessly now. Till you stand in the shower waiting for hot water, hoping that you will eventually get it, you won't know what you are missing.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:25 PM   #5

I have a first generation Girard on demand. Absolutely love it. The Truma is several generations advanced and I have heard nothing but great things about them. I plan on having one in our next RV.
We team our tankless with an Oxygenics shower head, and a Shower Miser for a perfect shower experience with no wasted water, no waiting for hot water, or temperature surges, even during Navy showers.
We boondock most of the time and our tankless system performs perfectly. We will never have an RV w/o a tankless and a Shower Miser.
Most folks who run down the tankless system either never used one, or didn't use one long enough to make the small operational adjustments in usage. Over several years I have run across several folks who just hated their tankless. After I was able to explain and demonstrate how it worked, and what to do to solve their complaints, they now really enjoy about them. And of course there was a few who wouldn't even attempt any changes in operation and went another route.
So give it a try and keep on open mind. If you really can't adjust to it, then do something else. I'm betting you will like it, especially if you have a Shower Miser installed if it doesn't come with one from the factory.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I have a first generation Girard on demand. Absolutely love it. The Truma is several generations advanced and I have heard nothing but great things about them. I plan on having one in our next RV.
We team our tankless with an Oxygenics shower head, and a Shower Miser for a perfect shower experience with no wasted water, no waiting for hot water, or temperature surges, even during Navy showers.
We boondock most of the time and our tankless system performs perfectly. We will never have an RV w/o a tankless and a Shower Miser.
Most folks who run down the tankless system either never used one, or didn't use one long enough to make the small operational adjustments in usage. Over several years I have run across several folks who just hated their tankless. After I was able to explain and demonstrate how it worked, and what to do to solve their complaints, they now really enjoy about them. And of course there was a few who wouldn't even attempt any changes in operation and went another route.
So give it a try and keep on open mind. If you really can't adjust to it, then do something else. I'm betting you will like it, especially if you have a Shower Miser installed if it doesn't come with one from the factory.
NMWildcat... do the tankless units operate from 12V?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:40 AM   #7

We had the Girard in our River Stone when we bought it and it was a learning curve using it, then we upgraded to the Truma and love it, so much easier and faster to use, I think once you use it you will be very happy with it.

The Truma runs only on propane but does use the 12 volt to ignite the flame
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
NMWildcat... do the tankless units operate from 12V?
Yes. 12v for flame lighting and sensors, propane for burner.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Yes. 12v for flame lighting and sensors, propane for burner.
Thanks..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #10

Do the tankless water heaters heat only with propane? We most always have an electric hookup when we camp, and with a 6 gallon water heater, we then get by entirely by heating the water with the campground’s AC. We never even turn on the water heater’s gas switch. Can that be done with a tankless heater? I’d think the BTU requirement would be higher than an electric element could provide.

It’s not that propane is expensive, it’s just at times it’s inconvenient to get it filled.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Do the tankless water heaters heat only with propane? We most always have an electric hookup when we camp, and with a 6 gallon water heater, we then get by entirely by heating the water with the campground’s AC. We never even turn on the water heater’s gas switch. Can that be done with a tankless heater? I’d think the BTU requirement would be higher than an electric element could provide.

It’s not that propane is expensive, it’s just at times it’s inconvenient to get it filled.
All the ones I've seen used in RVs are all propane for heating. No electric element. We really didn't notice enough of a propane consumption change to matter.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:52 PM   #12

We have a Truma in our 2020 Isata 3 and have never had a problem with either getting hot water or LP consumption. So far we've traveled over 13k miles with 2 cross country trips an several shorter week end camping trips. I wouldn't change to a limited capacity water heater. Truma heats up fast and without the need keep 6-12 gallons heated between uses.
The2002Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:06 PM   #13

I can't imagine why you would want to change back to a tank type water heater. Why waste all that energy keeping a tank of water hot, when you can heat just the water that you are presently using.

As others have said, tankless water heaters have been through a number of generations of development. Perhaps there were issues with earlier ones, but I think they are pretty mature now.

I have to RVs, one with an old fashioned tank style heater, and another with a Truma Aquago. I LOVE the Truma. I have INSTANT hot water at all of my faucets. Since I never camp at places that have full hookups, or even water hookups, this is a big deal for me. Not only does it conserve my water supply by not having to run the tap for 2 minutes before I get hot, and I also do not run all of that wasted water into my grey tank.

I will never go back to a tank type water heater, and I am seriously considering changing out the one in my other RV.

Good luck
Rick
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:13 PM   #14

The Truma lottery

[QUOTE Till you stand in the shower waiting for hot water, hoping that you will eventually get it, you won't know what you are missing. [/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you! We have a 2019 Crossfit and the Truma works half the time. It might be us but I doubt it. I don’t like this system one bit !!!
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:13 PM   #15

Smile Happy, Happy with Truma Aqua-Go

I have a 2019 Isata 24FW and very happy with the Truma instant hot water system. I just need to remember the various simple steps: Flip ON the outside power switch, I turn on the ELECTRIC HOT WATER toggle switch inside on my control panel, then I rotate the turning dial from OFF to the eco or hot water desired setting. I normally rotate it all the way to the bottom "clean" section and then slowly back to "hot". The rotary dial then displays the "yellow" back light and almost immediately I have available hot water in the galley, bathroom sink, and the shower.
Coolrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #16

We have a Truma in our rig. We absolutely love it. Near instant hot water when arriving at camp, take as long a shower as you want (when on full hook ups).
Old 04-06-2020, 01:25 PM   #17

Rather have a Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibbs1955 View Post
I would like to hear the general consensus of peoples opinion of this water heater. I have heard really nothing good, but it was from a small group, so I am reaching out to the Forum for your thoughts if you have one of these in your unit. I am in the process of strongly considering a new Brookstone 39RKFB. I wanted to change it out with a 12 gallon Suburban DSI unit, but now after a week, my dealer is just now telling me that his Techs say it can't be done without voiding a bunch of different Warranties, because they have to replumb and wire the system. Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
Our 2019 Berkshire 40 D came with the Truma AquaGo Comfort and I would lot rather have the 10 gallon tank my 2010 Winnebago had. Here are my reasons:
1) The tank system could run on electricity or propane, and when in long term camping I used electricty exclusively to keep from running out of propane. We never ran out of hot water with the tank. If I anticipated a high draw, it could run on both propane and electric, but mostly we used electric.
2) The hot water was ready as soon as you turned on the tank. With Truma water has to flow awhile before the burners cut in and make hot water. The way it is plumbed in the Berkshire, the water goes from the main water bay in the middle of the coach to the heater in the back, then hot water goes back to the water bay to be sent to the required locations. As the main bathroom is in the back (ironically overtop of the Truma), the water has to run about 60 feet to get back to the shower and sink in the back. You go through a ton of water to get any hot.
3) if you use the Comfort setting which is suposed to keep some hot water on standby, you still end up having to run a bunch of water before the supply of hot water you need is viable. You might get a bit of luke warm water, then cool as the runner cuts in then hot. Thats because of all the plumbing the water has to go through.
4) The old water tank in the Winnebago was also heated by the engine so you had hot water while travelling without burning propane. Not so with the Truma. In theory you are supposed to shut off the propane when travelling and restart it once stopped.
5) The Truma control rotary switch was hidden inside on the sidewall of the medicine cabinet instead of on the wall with all of the other system controls for the rig.
6) if you travel in freezing conditions you will require the 12 volt electric powered antifreeze kit or drain the Truma and isolate it.
7) You must decalcify the system using Truma decalcification tablets which costs 20 dollars per use.
8) Finally you have 6-12 gallons less fresh water (depending in the size of your tank) with Truma as there is only small amount of water storage in the system.

Stay with your tank. Its way better!
G Hollingsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #18

I love the system.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #19

Responding to the comments from G Hollingswort, specifically points 2 and 3. These comments are true for the Truma Comfort model. My comments are regarding the Comfort Plus, which I have. With the Plus model has a very small (1 quart) holding tank that is always kept hot, and the hot water is constantly circulated throughout the system (in Comfort Mode) so you do in fact get instant hot water at every tap. OF course, this takes slightly more propane, but in general, the propane use is negligible, especially when compared to other things that use it such as the furnace, or particularly the generator (if you have a propane version). There is also ECO mode, where the circulating feature is not enabled, in which case there is a wait to get hot water at the taps, no different than with any other type of hot water heater.

If you are getting a Truma, I would recommend that you make sure it is the Comfort Plus model.

Rick
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #20
dgibbs1955

Quote:
Does the Shower Miser constrict the flow of water? I really don't care for just barely a trickle of water to be flowing out of the shower head and the DW can't stand it because she has such thick hair and needs the velocity of water to clean her hair.

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater