Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2021, 06:48 PM   #1

19.6 Electrical draw issue?

I live in my 19.6 on 30amp 120vac power. I've found I can't use my microwave/convection oven, and coffee pot and instant pot at the same time so I only run 2 of the three at a time. I recently discovered I can't run my air conditioning and microwave/convection oven at the same time which is a bit upsetting since I live in Florida. Any experiences or thoughts about this issue and how to mitigate it, or am I stuck not baking at all after March?
GElsbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:17 PM   #2

30amp at 120V is only 3600 watts. Microwave and A/C are both very high draw items. Depending on the size of the A/C, I can see it not running together.
llamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:21 PM   #3

Run a separate circuit to the AC or to the Microwave that will plug into the 15 amp plug on the campground pedestal with an extension cord.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:11 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GElsbensen View Post
I live in my 19.6 on 30amp 120vac power. I've found I can't use my microwave/convection oven, and coffee pot and instant pot at the same time so I only run 2 of the three at a time. I recently discovered I can't run my air conditioning and microwave/convection oven at the same time which is a bit upsetting since I live in Florida. Any experiences or thoughts about this issue and how to mitigate it, or am I stuck not baking at all after March?
You need to look at what power draws each item is making. It ain't like your house.
Everything you've listed, are high power items. You are trying to run too many things at the same time.
You would have needed a 50amp rig.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Run a separate circuit to the AC or to the Microwave that will plug into the 15 amp plug on the campground pedestal with an extension cord.
X2

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:03 AM   #6

Thanks

I appreciate the responses, I understand the draw issue; being that the system is limited like that I'm a bit upset that it would be designed that way.
GElsbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:18 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
I appreciate the responses, I understand the draw issue; being that the system is limited like that I'm a bit upset that it would be designed that way.
All 30amp RVs are that way. If you want to run all those things at the same time, you should have considered a bigger 50 amp RV. They don't make 50amp 24ft trailers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:07 PM   #8

Just flip off the A/C

Quote:
Just flip off the air conditioner before you run the microwave. Maybe use the gas range instead.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:20 PM   #9

That is strange I have 30 amp 21ft and I run my air conditioner and microwave at the same time and have never had a problem try checking your breakers my be weak.
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlochbuie View Post
That is strange I have 30 amp 21ft and I run my air conditioner and microwave at the same time and have never had a problem try checking your breakers my be weak.
There are to many variables to compare rigs as one should run mine does. AC units can vary greatly in amp draw especially at startup and their camp voltage may be on the low side causing more amp draw. With that said your idea to check the breaker is solid advice.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #11

I also have a 30 amp system but have no problems running my microwave (1.35 Kw) and my A/C at the same time (1.5kw).

What does cause me grief is when I try to run them and both refrigerator and water heater are running their heating elements. Water heater on electric is a huge draw, often 1.5 Kw alone and the refrigerator heating element is usually around 300 watts.

When I need to run the A/C I just switch my refrigerator to gas as well as the water heater.

If I have shore power will run my Instant Pot and toaster on a separate extension from the power post.

Life in a Travel Trailer is all about resource management. Water, Holding Tanks, space, and electrical power usage.

Like said earlier, for more Home-Like power use, a 50 amp system is required.

BTW, don't forget battery charging. That can consume another 700 watts and often nobody ever gives that a thought.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Try running one item on a separate extension cord (12 guage) directly to the 20 amp circuit on the pedestal. I used to do that with my electric water heater. Worked great.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:47 PM   #13

Quote:

there is an outside one, but an inside switch to shut off the water heater for a short time when needed has proven to be convenient and helpful for us, ... also, I bring a #12 extension cord into our trailer thru a hatch cover on a outside storage compartment door, once inside it can be used in any number of ways to relieve the 30a system of some of the amps used, ... I modified our air conditioner wiring and using a toggle switch, I run the ac with that extension cord, removing those 13a-15a from the 30a system, ... if we're at cg where they only have a 30a outlet on the power pole, I flip the toggle switch and the ac is right back on the 30a system, just like it came out of the factory, ... this has worked great for us, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:51 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Just flip off the air conditioner before you run the microwave. Maybe use the gas range instead.
When we had our 30 amp; this is what we did too.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #15
Kanadian Kamper

The house we grew up in only had 60 amp service until Mom sold it in her retirement years. I can’t count how many Mom blew fuses when trying the clothes dryer, with the A/C unit, or hair dryer, or coffee maker etc....

Turning off the A/C for the few minutes that you use a microwave in a 30amp rig, is not the end of the world. You get used to it. We have....downsizing from the 50amp Georgetown to our 30amp Sunseeker.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
The house we grew up in only had 60 amp service until Mom sold it in her retirement years. I can’t count how many Mom blew fuses when trying the clothes dryer, with the A/C unit, or hair dryer, or coffee maker etc....

Turning off the A/C for the few minutes that you use a microwave in a 30amp rig, is not the end of the world. You get used to it. We have....downsizing from the 50amp Georgetown to our 30amp Sunseeker.
I rented a house like that back when I was going to college. Half the fuses in the fuse box had pennies behind them.

Old 04-10-2021, 02:11 PM   #17

30amp RVs aren't 'designed' that way, as you lament, they are subject to the LAWS of electricity - would you rather they just NOT give you an air conditioner, since it can't work at full blast at the same time you want to microwave something? Or would you rather NOT have a microwave since it can't work at the same TIME the air conditioner is working??
RVing is all about compromises, after all, it's a very tiny house on wheels, and is certainly NOT going to be like your 3,000 sq ft home with 200amp service that never moves.
30amp RV power is the 'standard' for most campgrounds and rv parks for many, many decades. The RV industry just simply has to build 'around' that limitation. Or, you invest more money in the higher-end 50amp 240v RV with over THREE times the amount of 120v power. But, then again, finding a 50amp power source is not always a given, either, and then you are right back to the same issue you have now.

Managing electrical usage when in an RV is normal, there is no 'unlimited' electrical source that you can tap into - even homes sometimes trip breakers.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #18

When running air and need the micro-wave , switch air to just fan for the several minutes and then switch back to air . Been doing that for 30 years .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:50 PM   #19

So, those standard plug outlets at RV park pedestals are usually 20 amps or are they usually 15 amps)
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
So, those standard plug outlets at RV park pedestals are usually 20 amps or are they usually 15 amps)
I see them with 20 amp breakers but rarely have I seen anyone plug in with a true 20 amp plug. Just regular household 15 amp plugs.

A 20 amp plug has one vertical blade and one horizontal.

20 amp receptacle on left, 15 on right. You can still plug in a 15 amp in a 20 amp but the one horizontal blade on the 20 amp plug will keep it out of the 15 amp.

If drawing the full 20 amp current through a 15 amp plug eventually the plug will have heat issues (like melting).

Tags
electric, electrical