Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2021, 05:20 PM   #1
Salty Senior

2021 NoBo 19.5 NEED Storage Behind Propane

My 19.5 is still in the dealer lot waiting for parts from NoBo. We have moved the batteries inside and have open space behind the propane bottle. We are looking for the largest appropriate storage box, top opening, and lockable, for that area.

Thanks for your suggestions!!

Happy CAMPING

Gene
Captain Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:41 AM   #2

Is that advisable? If you put a box and storage there, you're probably going to increase your tongue weight. Have you moved the batteries inside permanently? You don't want them in an unventilated space.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:48 AM   #3

Check out the truck accessory sites Like E Trailer.com or even Rural King or Tractor Supply Company. There are Aluminum and Plastic tool boxes made to fit inside the smaller pick-up boxes. The sub 1/2 trucks. These boxes are also used in the front of utility trailers to hold chains, binders and other useful items.

I do question batteries that occupy and vent into a living space, I hope this is not the case without special provisions.
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:14 PM   #4
Salty Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
Check out the truck accessory sites Like E Trailer.com or even Rural King or Tractor Supply Company. There are Aluminum and Plastic tool boxes made to fit inside the smaller pick-up boxes. The sub 1/2 trucks. These boxes are also used in the front of utility trailers to hold chains, binders and other useful items.

I do question batteries that occupy and vent into a living space, I hope this is not the case without special provisions.
Thanks for the suggestions and concern. The batteries are LFPs so there is no venting issue and they weigh 26# each. The Electrical upgrade includes two 100AH LFP batteries, Xantrex XC PRO 2000W/100A inverter/charger, two 175W flexible solar panels, Renogy DCC50S DC-DC/MPPT charger... Total weight <100#, compared to >140# for two large LA batteries. More 12V + full time 120VAC if desired.

That brings me back to storage boxes... I wish to store camp setup stuff and chairs etc. Hopefully blend in with black rock guard.

Happy Camping

Gene
Old 01-28-2021, 06:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Gene View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and concern. The batteries are LFPs so there is no venting issue and they weigh 26# each. The Electrical upgrade includes two 100AH LFP batteries, Xantrex XC PRO 2000W/100A inverter/charger, two 175W flexible solar panels, Renogy DCC50S DC-DC/MPPT charger... Total weight <100#, compared to >140# for two large LA batteries. More 12V + full time 120VAC if desired.

That brings me back to storage boxes... I wish to store camp setup stuff and chairs etc. Hopefully blend in with black rock guard.

Happy Camping

Gene
Nice setup, I am envious, it appears you put a lot of thought into this process. You should post a few pictures when you are finished. Other like minded campers, like myself, are curious as how you utilized the interior spaces.
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:44 PM   #6
Salty Senior

No Bo 19.5 electrical upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
Nice setup, I am envious, it appears you put a lot of thought into this process. You should post a few pictures when you are finished. Other like minded campers, like myself, are curious as how you utilized the interior spaces.
Thanks. Part of the enabling technology has been the design advancements in Marine/RV electrical equipment. New inverter/charger designs use the same power components for the inverter and charger power drivers and have reduced or eliminated large transformers. The Xantrex XC PRO 2000W/100A has a 16" x 12" x 5" footprint @ 17.1# with mounting options of floor, wall, or ceiling(my choice)!!

Renogy 100AH batteries are ~12" x 7" @ 26# and tuck against a wall, so the storage floor space used is ~24" x 8" plus 52#.

Happy Camping

Gene
Old 01-29-2021, 12:26 AM   #7

The bulge in the nose will overhang the box.

It's like a partial porch roof over the space. Forget about chairs and other large items. I have 2 x 6 volt FCLAs on my tongue, and I can barely remove and install the lids on the battery boxes. I also have to remove the hard plastic cover on the propane tanks to remove the battery covers. In short, space is tight, and the batteries tuck under that overhang nicely...but not a large storage box.

Height is an issue. Many aluminum battery boxes have slide covers, and they are designed to drop into the battery support frames.

Also note that flip lid "tool" boxes need room for the lid to articulate. Their lids overhang the box by a significant amount so they are water-tight. All that overhang needs space to pivot without binding into the diamond plate on the front of your rig.

Start here to get some idea of what's available. https://torkliftcentral.com/powerarmor-max-a7710r These are crazy expensive compared to truck bed tool boxes, but of course they are rated for batteries. They also provide good security for expensive batteries. Perhaps leave your LiFePo4s on the tongue.

Whatever fits in one of these can be as long as the box is wide, but it can't be wider than the box is deep or tall...the dimensions of a battery.

Another option would be a tongue mounted bike rack...I think some NoBos come with these. The rack could hold chairs and other large objects, and the new battery box could hold smaller detritus.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:49 AM   #8

Harbor Freigt sells trailer tongue boxes, but they aren't as large as pickup boxes. I had to move my propane tanks forward a few inches and go to a cloth cover to clear the jack. I have my batteries in the box, with room for tools. It makes it very convenient when hooking and un-hooking.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Gene View Post

Happy Camping

Gene
Is that inverter loud, mine came with the 1000 watt, Itís under the bed where the water heater is and itís really loud I wanted to move it into the storage area but realized it would be even louder there. I think itís weird that itís in a place where you canít look at the LCD screen or reset it if you need to.
Joey185 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, storage